Do you still plan on implementing left handed fighting?

• alternate swings is a good workaround for 2h but not for sword and board. is this still on the drawing board?

• Wouldn’t have thought this would match up so well in game. Wouldn’t lefties have a massive advantage there? Due to the weapon being on the other side of the shield or whatever.

I had one of my notes thinking about it during alpha, but I couldn’t think of any way to implement it well. Unlike with games that have guns, you can’t exactly just mirror the models here…

• dont righies currently have a massive advantage as they get to play with their natural style?
    did lefties have an advantage in the middle ages?

• lol

lefties are at a disadvantage throughout life, since the beginning of time.

lets keep it that way.

• @sir_beavis:

dont righies currently have a massive advantage as they get to play with their natural style?
    did lefties have an advantage in the middle ages?

Yeah, they were seen as marked by the devil and either forced to use their right hands or have their left hand chopped off.

But as they say about Gameplay > Realism…… as a Left hander myself, for the most part, it’s a disadvantage for left handed players when the character in the game is right handed due to it screwing with your perspective, especially in a game like this. With Modern Shooters, you either have crosshairs or iron sights to aim and shoot, which helps a lot with countering the right handed perspective. With this kind of game, your swings are coming from the opposite side you are used to and you’re blocking from the side you normally would attack from.

It’s not much of an issue in this game for me because I use a shield and sword right handed in real life, but in many other games that only have right handed characters, I usually end up over compensating my perspective and aim a bit more left than I should… which is a disadvantage. In modern shooters, hip firing is almost useless for me due to this compensation my brain does with having the weapon on the opposite side of the screen I am used to and I end up getting killed quickly. In RO2, there’s no crosshairs on the screen and only iron sights, so hip shooting when I need to react fast, usually means I miss and end up dead.

If right handed players were forced to do left handed in the game, they’d understand, but they don’t have to, so most don’t see an issue with leaving everything right handed because they’re already catered to.

Would it give Right hander’s a disadvantage because they’d now have to figure out how to deal with left handers?

No, it’d just be leveling the playing field for both groups of players.

Yeah you’d need to learn how to counter these players… but so too would left handers, so even ground there (due to everybody already being used to everybody being right handed)

It’d give the game a bit more Realism in that sense as well… in that you’d actually have real life situations where not everybody uses the same hand - Gameplay = Realism.

Now in regards to the difficulty of bringing in left handed models, animations, etc… with the new patch now allowing for alternate swings in the game, it’s not hard at all:

For left handed attacks, you initiate the alternate attack but use the mirrored right handed animation. Vice versa with the alternate left handed attack.

Over head attacks would be the same, since they come down on the centre of the screen and the same for thrusts.

There’s no real excuse not to allow the left handed option in the game other than a couple of days worth of work to add it to the game.

• @Cpt-Praxius:

There’s no real excuse not to allow the left handed option in the game other than a couple of days worth of work to add it to the game.

Balance considerations. People would change their handedness all the time to confuse opponents, etc. It’s just not worth it considering the playstyles it would create. I feel the game is better off without it and it would add nothing. Sorry, but if you’re left handed you’re used to the world enough to envision attacking with your right.

• @Swayze’s:

@Cpt-Praxius:

Balance considerations. People would change their handedness all the time to confuse opponents, etc. It’s just not worth it considering the playstyles it would create. I feel the game is better off without it and it would add nothing. Sorry, but if you’re left handed you’re used to the world enough to envision attacking with your right.

That’s not much of a counter argument…. if someone keeps switching hands in the settings to screw up the other guy… really, I don’t see the advantage. Eventually people would get used to fighting both, just as people will get used to fighting against the alternative attacks.

It would add plenty to the game even if you don’t think so.

Again, if the game was launched with all the weapons and characters being left handed… these forums would have been flooded with people complaining and demanding that right handed settings were available… and if you don’t think that would have happened, really think about it.

Put yourself in the shoes of left handers. You’d be making similar arguments that I have made.

• @Cpt-Praxius:

Put yourself in the shoes of left handers. You’d be making similar arguments that I have made.

If I put myself in the shoes of left handers I would do exactly what I said- concede that I am roughly 10% of people and the world is not made for me. Being a minority of some sort does not and should not assure you always have every single itch of yours scratched.

• Lol, honestly, how hard is it to block a swing coming in the opposite direction? With the new alt-swing its basically the same thing, and if you’re even a half decent player your blocks instinctively go for where your opponents blade is anyway, whichever direction it comes from.

You’re opposing an aid to minority players because of an invalid concern.

EDIT: Also, Swayze, those are big words from someone who has never experienced the world from a minority’s perspective.