Elo for duel mode

• Since I have seen today that there is a sort of stat trackng system in duel mode (it tracks kills, deaths and hours played) how about improving that to a full elo system? I do not know how easy something like that would be to do (as I have absolutely no clue of programming^^), but if it is easy to do, then we MUST have something like that :D And with server restrictions for min/max elo we could get duel servers for certain skill groups of players! (e.g: newbie, advanced, expert)

• For us dumb folk, could you tell us wtf ELO stands for?

I did a Google search and all that came up was the Electric Light Orchestra.

Were you wanting the game to play “Don’t Bring Me Down” at the end of each round?

• Oh I’m sorry I thought something like that would be common knowledge.

Here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system

Short: elo is used in chess to determine one’s strength. If you win you gain points (which your opponent loses). You gain more points if your opponent has a higher rating than you do. So a certain elo rating is a very good measure of your skill, and you will over time achieve a more or less constant rating(as long as your skill/your enemies skill stays constant). So you know: that guy over there has 2000 elo, that 1000 elo guy has no chance at all.

• I know what you’re talking about now…. but based on your last line:

So you know: that guy over there has 2000 elo, that 1000 elo guy has no chance at all.

^ You don’t really know that based on these numbers and even if you did, you just deter people from playing against someone higher than they are in this graph…… even though their specific tactics might be better and that higher numbered guy may not be good against.

One guy might get a lot of kills against most players, but sucks badly against those who know how to feint well… or great against most classes and weapons, except a specific combination.

But these sorts of numbers could make people avoid certain situations they might actually win against, but never want to try.

The thing I like about the current system is that I see another player at a higher level than I, or lower… yet while that may show me that they have played more or less than I, that doesn’t mean I will do better or worse against them, thus I will fight against anybody that comes my way, just for the variety and fresh level of tactics.

I’ve seen similar stats on the Wii with such games as Mario Kart and Tetris Party… and while I’ve gotten high in the stats over time, it doesn’t mean someone lower than I (by a lot) couldn’t beat me multiple times. I’ve reset my stats and made new profiles in both the above games so that I appeared to be a brand new player, but me having an ELO of 500 going against someone with 2000 showed them nothing about my abilities.

Though I have no serious issues against the system, I don’t see a specific need for it.

Someone with a lower number could either be really bad or just new. It could work alright along side the existing system noting hours played, wins and losses… but the system alone wouldn’t tell anybody much more than what people already see… perhaps even less.

• Many games already use this system it works, believe me. For example a 2000 elo chess player would annihilate a 1000 elo player. I don’t know the statistic numbers, (just makiung some up here) but the system would expect a 2000 elo to lose against a 1000 elo player every 10000 matches or so (which is what happens). Of course if you are new and don’t have an established rating there is no way to tell how good you are (kind of obvious…^^). But since your rating could be easily tied to your steam account (other games did this, dawn of war 2 for example) you cannot reset it without buying a new game (nobody would do this, and i think torn banner could live with that ;)).

The reason why I bring this up: the difference in skill levels in duel servers is simply too high. I don’t think it is fun to get your ass handed to you or to stomp inferior players. Elo could make it so you get matched against somewhat equal opponents. More fun for everyone.

• I dont really like games that use the elo system. Its a matter of taste, but I think theres nothing wrong in fighting someone MUCH better or MUCH worse than you. You will crush the baddie and move on to the next combat, and you will learn fighting someone who dominates you. Sure, fighting an opponent of roughly the same skill level as you makes for more interesting fights, but theres little to be learned there.

• Maybe this is purely my opinion, but killing somebody (in a duel, to/lts is something else) without any challenge at all does not give me fun nor do I get better at the game, so I would like to avoid this situation. I really would like to be able to pick challenging opponents, but I don’t know if someone is challenging as long as I didn’t fight him. Rank means nothing (past ~25 or so at least).

• @Falc:

Many games already use this system it works, believe me. For example a 2000 elo chess player would annihilate a 1000 elo player. I don’t know the statistic numbers, (just makiung some up here) but the system would expect a 2000 elo to lose against a 1000 elo player every 10000 matches or so (which is what happens). Of course if you are new and don’t have an established rating there is no way to tell how good you are (kind of obvious…^^). But since your rating could be easily tied to your steam account (other games did this, dawn of war 2 for example) you cannot reset it without buying a new game (nobody would do this, and i think torn banner could live with that ;)).

The reason why I bring this up: the difference in skill levels in duel servers is simply too high. I don’t think it is fun to get your ass handed to you or to stomp inferior players. Elo could make it so you get matched against somewhat equal opponents. More fun for everyone.

Yeah, not a fan of that.

I like the randomness of the players I am pitted against. Sometimes they are easy to defeat, other times they are not, and other times I get my ass served to me.

Having a system as you suggest would take that away and force me to play against other players that I could predict their level of skill…… a level of variety would be lost for me and confine me and other players to a specific group of players in our “Group” of skill.

New players will be stuck with new players whom most wouldn’t know all the available tactics and combos, etc… and when they level up a certain amount to leave that group (because they M1 spammed better than the rest) they end up in another level of players who combo and alt-attack, chewing the crap out of them… then they end up right back with the lower leveled players yet again because they just lost a bunch of points for dying.

Another problem is that having such a system restrict who I play against, I could be on a full 32 player server, yet restricted to playing the same 4 players over and over again… that would be pretty boring and annoying.

With the current system, I am tossed against a random selection of up to 31 other players and due to the wide variety of players, it is rare that I play the same person twice, let alone three times… thus, I have no idea what class, weapons or tactics are going to come my way.

Being restricted to a small handful of players with this system would just become too predictable.

I simply think it would make things worse, not better.

• @Cpt-Praxius:

I did a Google search and all that came up was the Electric Light Orchestra.

Well, I laughed out loud.

But yeah, I have to agree with the Klingon; a bit of randomness is nice. Sure it’s not fun fighting rank 5 people when you’re rank 35 (it’s like fighting a baby), but if you want a decent range of opponents, just join a server with a minimum rank requirement. And when they fix the challenge system, you can always challenge/rematch the good people.

• Hm I’m surprised everyone who posted is against my idea…maybe I should have done a poll…or mabye it is due to these forums, you know every second suggestion being something crazy like: “i wantz ninjaz /w fireballz lulz” (I also tend to say no to most things in here^^)

Ok scrap this, thought something like this would be appreciated/needed (with all the noobs crying: I got stomped *cry (aka LMBguard is op)^^)