Overpowered tactics/bugs/exploits

• After putting about 50 hours into the game and seeing nothing really change in the big patch, I thought I’d do a writeup of the various exploitable or bugged tactics that I see people use to win repeatedly, often with unreal KDR.

1. Constant sprinting. Basically when people never stop sprinting during combat, it makes them near impossible to hit or to block their attacks. Because of the way the game’s lag compensation works, when a player is moving that fast the location you need to parry never seems to line up with where you see their weapon. The same goes for their hitbox when you try to attack them, it just passes through their body repeatedly. I honestly don’t understand why the game lets you sprint while attacking, much less sprint in circles around an opponent while attacking repeatedly.

2. Polearm stab spamming. I honestly don’t know how people pull this off because I get maybe a 25% chance to hit with polearm stab attacks when it looks like I should hit. Basically these people run around and do nothing but spam the extremely fast stab attack with the halberd, fork, or the three-pronged spear (can’t remember the name,) using the extremely long range to prevent other players from hitting them. This is sometimes combined with constant sprinting to become nearly unhittable.

3. Knights with longsword using constant sprinting, near-instant overhead attacks with the camera drop exploit, and another apparent exploit to lets them repeatedly perform stab attacks that fast as well. I’ve watched a knight hit a player twice within a quarter second with 2 stab attacks with the longsword (two-handed) repeatedly throughout a round.

4. The facehugger. This ties in with the constant sprinting because I think the root problem is the same. Basically when you go to melee an enemy with a small fast weapon (usually an archer) they will get right in your face, then continually sprint towards you even though they can’t move forward while spamming attacks. This makes their attacks unblockable either because they are too close, or because the parry hitbox is not where it looks like it should be. Unless you have a similarly fast weapon it’s impossible to get an attack in without being stunned.

I’d like to hear some feedback about these tactics. They all feel like they either stem from bugs or exploits to me, and if one of these types of players is in a server with me, they almost always win (often by a large margin.) I was hoping some of this would be addressed in the big update, but hopefully the next one now.

• I think you’re just a baddie. Sorry. :?

-When you swing your sprint slows down automatically.
    -How do you even pretend to know how server lag compensate works?
    -Bet you can’t fraps any of these exploited too-fast-to-block attacks from the knight
    -Facehugging isn’t an exploit or a cheat, wtf is wrong with you, don’t let them in like that
    -You sound like you’re just really slow player. Sorry

• @Crum1y:

I think you’re just a baddie. Sorry. :?

-When you swing your sprint slows down automatically.
    -How do you even pretend to know how server lag compensate works?
    -Bet you can’t fraps any of these exploited too-fast-to-block attacks from the knight
    -Facehugging isn’t an exploit or a cheat, wtf is wrong with you, don’t let them in like that
    -You sound like you’re just really slow player. Sorry

-Yes I realize that swinging slows down your sprint slightly, I’m not quite sure how that’s relevant.
    -Lag compensation is always the first thing I analyze when playing multiplayer games because it has a HUGE effect on the quality of the gameplay. I have yet to play a game where the player hitboxes actually line up with the player models correctly (even in Battlefield 3 which uses client-side hit detection.) In general, Chivalry is pretty good but I’m trying to point out some specific situations where I feel it is causing problems and could be improved.
    -If I thought my computer could handle video recording while playing, I would.
    -I never said facehugging was an exploit, it’s simply a tactic that only seems to be effective (which it should not be) because of lag compensation issues which I explained above. I’ve watched and archer armed only with a shortsword get the top score in an FFA purely by facehugging.
    -I’m not sure what you mean by slow. I’m a decent player and usually close to the top of the scoreboard in most games. I made sure I played enough and spent a lot of time examining all these tactics before making this post. I wanted to explain this clearly because all 4 of these things feel very detrimental to game balance and player enjoyment, whether caused by bugs or exploits.

• Ok sorry

• What is your average ping when playing? I find anything over 70 or so makes the finer points of combat very finicky.

• Thread based upon frustration…

• @The:

What is your average ping when playing? I find anything over 70 or so makes the finer points of combat very finicky.

I try to play on servers where I ping <50. I do play with up to 100 sometimes and it is noticable, but mostly just the parry/block timing. I haven’t had high ping cause any unusal hit detection issues.

• The facehug and spam is incredibly annoying, and whats worse is that it’s usually pretty effective. Face hugging MAA and archers are the worst thing in the world.

Problem is, I don’t really see what could be done about that tactic. MAA and archers use short, fast weapons, so it’s the obvious tactic for them to use. Although I have to say, I rarely see high level MAA doing this. High level players usually dodge in and out, but the spammy noobs are sometimes harder to deal with:D

• Facehugging needs to be looked at, its gotten to the point where alot on people facehug.

How would you like to stab,as fast as you can windup? Facehug. Its nearly impossible to parry, and if they do just feint then stab, at that range they can’t tell your feinting and will beforced to parry.

This is why a dagger can overwhelm, especially if flinch is working, try to kick I dare you.

Basically the golden tatic to to make the weapon disappear from the defender’s screen (first person)

They can’t block/parry what they cannot see, that is how the mechanics are writen. Shield work great for this jump in their face with the shield and they can’t see what the weapon is doing, but you can rotate the strike all you want.

Spend some time on the dueling servers, you will see.

• As someone with 82 hours on Chivalry, my opinion is that the only one of these that needs to be looked at/patched is the sprinting away in the middle of combat.

The sprinting away in the middle of combat is a very obnoxious tactic and basically a get-out-of-jail-free card for any class; at the cost of no stamina. Unless you’re quick on a long weapon, like a Polearm, a knight can come in, have his hit blocked, and then sprint away before you can even retaliate - instantly pulling a 180 and trying to attack you again.

That’s not how combat is suppose to work. This is why there is dodging (for MaA), ducking, jumping, parrying, feinting, and a combination of strikes. I never remember the tutorial telling me that if I do an instant turn-around and sprint, that I’m basically getting away from a hit with no repercussions. The only good counter I’ve seen to this, beside long weapons, is sprinting the instant they run and then attacking. Which only works if they don’t pull an instant 180-block.

As for the others:

2. Polearm stab spamming.

This is how the weapon works. By attacking quickly and accurately, you keep your enemies at a distance. The effectiveness of a stab drops drastically if you start to strafe and enemy quickly or get a single hit in. I’ve noticed the Fork, now, for some reason, is hella fast. Other than that, it’s a perfectly normal tactic and works with any other long weapon. I don’t have an issue with it at all, and it’s rather easy to get around.

3. Knights (blah blah)

What you’re seeing here is a combination of sprinting, which I discussed, and another exploit - which is facing the camera to makes strikes far faster. The combo for the Longsword of overhead-stab is very fast, so it seems even faster when someone uses an exploit to make the overhead hit almost instantly. It’s a very dirty tactic, but sometimes easy to see. I’m right in the middle of whether or not it should be removed, because it’s possible to see it coming and isn’t entirely game-breaking, but it’s rather dirty and I don’t think it was intended. My biggest fear for this game is that the developers will listen to ‘hardcore 360 no-zoom’ players instead of the ones who enjoy the game for what it is; when that happens, exploits will become ‘skill’ and the basic combat that I love in this game will be long gone with everyone down-overheading and sprinting away constantly.

4. The facehugger.

This is a problem with all weapons, close distance makes parries/blocking almost impossible. I constantly exploit this as a Man-At-Arms against shield users. At hugging distance, blocks work very poorly, if at all. And to be honest - I think this is totally fine. Shields are not something you can casually push in someone’s face with a child-like tone and go “naugh uh, there’s no way you can hit me!” It’s an art to use a shield effectively and the best way to make sure a stab or stray strike doesn’t get around it is to keep a distance away from the enemy. As for small, fast weapon stunlocking players to death (I see/do this a lot as archer v. knight); it’s the slower classes’ fault for letting the little guy get close. Trying to block with a light, fast weapon; against something big, is usually brutal on stamina and or throwing the player back a bit. Distance is your absolute best defense in this game, and if you let that be removed, you deserve everything coming to you.

• Just a bit of friendly advice: Next time you get face-hugged, try looking down at roughly 30 degrees when you engage the face-hugger, its a lot easier this way to see his weapon strikes and block accordingly. Also, sometimes its better to let yourself get hit once or twice by a face-hugger and time the next block nicely than to just panic and spam block. Most of the time that will get you killed, and even if you do manage to block one attack, you will throw out another block anyway because of your spamming and miss out the chance to counter-attack.

Other than that, i agree with the latency issue. Even at 50 ping some last-millisecond blocks still get me killed.

• @Doom454:

My biggest fear for this game is that the developers will listen to ‘hardcore 360 no-zoom’ players instead of the ones who enjoy the game for what it is; when that happens, exploits will become ‘skill’ and the basic combat that I love in this game will be long gone with everyone down-overheading and sprinting away constantly.

I probably should have mentioned this before: this is exactly my point. Every person I’ve seen doing any of these tactics, mostly the sprint-polearm-stab-spammer and the knight instant-overhead types, if they get called out just say it’s all skill and everybody else is terrible. Having the game just turn into that would be a nightmare.
    @Wangmaster:

Just a bit of friendly advice: Next time you get face-hugged, try looking down at roughly 30 degrees when you engage the face-hugger, its a lot easier this way to see his weapon strikes and block accordingly. Also, sometimes its better to let yourself get hit once or twice by a face-hugger and time the next block nicely than to just panic and spam block. Most of the time that will get you killed, and even if you do manage to block one attack, you will throw out another block anyway because of your spamming and miss out the chance to counter-attack.

Other than that, i agree with the latency issue. Even at 50 ping some last-millisecond blocks still get me killed.

There have been times when I get the timing off slightly and miss every block, that’s my fault. Others though, I just watch the dagger/shortsword pass through my block over and over until I die, and then that player will do it to several others while I respawn and get back into the battle. Unless I need to aim my block somewhere else (behind me?) when an enemy is that close, there seems to be absolutely no way to counter it.

• @nimbulan:

@Doom454:

My biggest fear for this game is that the developers will listen to ‘hardcore 360 no-zoom’ players instead of the ones who enjoy the game for what it is; when that happens, exploits will become ‘skill’ and the basic combat that I love in this game will be long gone with everyone down-overheading and sprinting away constantly.

I probably should have mentioned this before: this is exactly my point. Every person I’ve seen doing any of these tactics, mostly the sprint-polearm-stab-spammer and the knight instant-overhead types, if they get called out just say it’s all skill and everybody else is terrible. Having the game just turn into that would be a nightmare.

Well said, both of you.

Luckily, I don’t think many developers would be stupid enough to only listen to the elitist douchebags. You know, that kind of gamer who constantly feels the need to remind everyone how FUCKIN HARDCORE they are?

I don’t think the lookdown overhead in itself is wrong, but maybe something could be done about how much speed you could get out of it, if that makes any sense. My point is, that I think dragging the mouse down as you overhead is a perfectly fine game mechanic, but the fact is that currently if done right it lets super slow, super powerful weapons contact pretty much instantly, and that is a bit much.

• Look-down overheads, facehugging and feints in general are flawed because of two reasons:
    One, you can feint at any point in an attack’s windup. This means that you can always just wait until the very last moment and react to them (And they are forced to parry because of the second reason.)

Two, attacks become attacks the instant they leave windup. That means when you facehug your attacks hit instantly so they are forced to parry during your windup (which you can ALWAYS beat with a feint) lest they risk getting hit. If there was a time in windup where you could no longer feint, or if the start of an attack did not do damage then this would not be as much of an issue.

I have used and fought against this and believe it to be a near impossible to beat tactic 1v1 with fast (+60%) weapons, and it turns fights into one-sided guessing games.

• @Doom454:

2. Polearm stab spamming.

This is how the weapon works. By attacking quickly and accurately, you keep your enemies at a distance. The effectiveness of a stab drops drastically if you start to strafe and enemy quickly or get a single hit in. I’ve noticed the Fork, now, for some reason, is hella fast. Other than that, it’s a perfectly normal tactic and works with any other long weapon. I don’t have an issue with it at all, and .

How do you deal with polearm stab spamming? I was on a duel server with some dude named Phoenix Downs and he completely owned the server with the polearm. I couldn’t figure out how to defend myself from his repeated attacks and if I ever saw an opening he was quick to block and or kick me.

• @Doom454:

What you’re seeing here is a combination of sprinting, which I discussed, and another exploit - which is facing the camera to makes strikes far faster. The combo for the Longsword of overhead-stab is very fast, so it seems even faster when someone uses an exploit to make the overhead hit almost instantly. It’s a very dirty tactic, but sometimes easy to see. I’m right in the middle of whether or not it should be removed, because it’s possible to see it coming and isn’t entirely game-breaking, but it’s rather dirty and I don’t think it was intended. My biggest fear for this game is that the developers will listen to ‘hardcore 360 no-zoom’ players instead of the ones who enjoy the game for what it is; when that happens, exploits will become ‘skill’ and the basic combat that I love in this game will be long gone with everyone down-overheading and sprinting away constantly.

This

• @peasant:

How do you deal with polearm stab spamming? I was on a duel server with some dude named Phoenix Downs and he completely owned the server with the polearm. I couldn’t figure out how to defend myself from his repeated attacks and if I ever saw an opening he was quick to block and or kick me.

It’s difficult, and sometimes almost impossible if you’re using a very slow weapon (Maul, Zweihander) against a very fast polearm.

First, you have to close the distance. It’s hard, but sprint after every attack you block to get closer. It’s going to make your blocks less likely to work, but the Vanguard will also be less likely to strike. If he’s blocking after every block-counter you do, the next time you block his strike, do a very fast feint-strike.

Now that he’s hit, his block-cycle will be off from your attack cycle. Either wail on him or play it safe. If you’re very close, do your best to be constantly strafing around him in circles. Preferably to the right, to avoid any swings.

• My biggest fear for this game is that the developers will listen to ‘hardcore 360 no-zoom’ players instead of the ones who enjoy the game for what it is; when that happens, exploits will become ‘skill’ and the basic combat that I love in this game will be long gone

This is it right here. Anyone can claim L2P all they want, but I think some of us want to preserve the graceful melee combat that we came here for. When you see Knights attack animations snap like a mouse trap, it just ruins it for me. “You mean if have to do crazy crap like that now to be competitive?”

Really I think it all comes down to how face hugging and hitboxes are handled in this game. I would really like to test this game where it’s 100% easier to block/parry attacks from an opponent that is literally touching you and clipping through your vision.

• Because the the way feint works, when facehugging the person who attacks first, has the advantage, because he can see the other person parry/block, and just feint then instant attack again.

To make matters worse 2 handed and poles arms don’t even need completely face hug to pull this off.

In the event that you side step instead of parry, they will just slap you with the damage instead.