[SOLVED] New startup crash due to update

• Me and many others have ran into this. I posted in technical forums, though I feel it’s being looked over or ignored. Since it came with this update, I think it should be posted in the bugs forum.
    When we start the game the small “Chivalry: Medieval Warfare” banner with the guys fighing on it pops up. It is there for a few seconds and then it closes. There is no .dmp file. There is no error in the log, it just stops mid-sentence during the loadup packages. I will post my log, so you can see. This needs to be fixed ASAP, seeing as me, and many others can’t play at all now.

I think this is a new sort of crash because I’ve tried every fix I could find for any sort of crash on these forums and nothing works.

• It’s most likely the game is trying to start in a resolution that your monitor doesn’t support. The update reset some settings (possibly video settings for some).

Try adding these for launch parameters in Steam to verify:

-windowed -resx=1024 -resy=768

• Nope, didn’t do anything. I completely reinstalled steam to see if it was steam. It didn’t do anything, but my first attempt at a run, the log was a bit farther. After that the logs are the same as before. I’ll attach the different log. Note, that the logs are back to what they were before.

• @ReMixx:

It’s most likely the game is trying to start in a resolution that your monitor doesn’t support. The update reset some settings (possibly video settings for some).

This would not cause a program crash, as the monitor is not communicating this back to the OS. It’d simply go blank or show an error screen

• @Swayze’s:

@ReMixx:

It’s most likely the game is trying to start in a resolution that your monitor doesn’t support. The update reset some settings (possibly video settings for some).

This would not cause a program crash, as the monitor is not communicating this back to the OS. It’d simply go blank or show an error screen

Do you have any idea why it’s crashing? I think there is something wrong with the .ini files, as it just stops half way through reading them, but I’m not positive. I’m not great at debugging these things, so I don’t trust my judgement.

• @Baskyn:

Do you have any idea why it’s crashing? I think there is something wrong with the .ini files, as it just stops half way through reading them, but I’m not positive. I’m not great at debugging these things, so I don’t trust my judgement.

I don’t have an idea either way, but I have a procedure for these things, give it a shot after each step:

1. Hard reboot system
    2. Clear all relevant .ini/temp files
    3. Validate files through steam
    4. Delete game and redownload on steam

Strange how sometimes 4 has worked when 3 did not.

• @Swayze’s:

@Baskyn:

I don’t have an idea either way, but I have a procedure for these things, give it a shot after each step:

1. Hard reboot system
    2. Clear all relevant .ini/temp files
    3. Validate files through steam
    4. Delete game and redownload on steam

Strange how sometimes 4 has worked when 3 did not.

Well I’ve done 3, and 4 multiple times. I’ve even re-downloaded steam. I have a laptop, I have no clue how to hard reboot a lap top. What is the supposed to do? By clearing relevant .ini/temp files, do you mean the files for chivalry?

• I fixed it!! Turns out that after the update my antivirus was blocking either something steam related or chivalry related. I had to allow anything steam or UDK related through and to my surprise it worked!!! :D Now I can finally play the update!

So if anyone is having this issue, it may be the antivirus.

• Marked solved and moved to Tech Support.