Maul Nerf?

• Can someone give me a good rundown of the mauls capabilities and why they believe it needs the one shot potential?

Additionally, please lean more toward top end play. There are a lot of tricks and strats that can override a weapon’s ostensible downsides and I don’t like seeing balance suggestions based on average-to-lower end players inability to be effective due to inexperience.

I found two maul users last night who were very effective. I don’t like to get anecdotal and say “they topped all the chartz!” because we have all, I’m sure, been in a FFA or something with a bunch of players far below our skill and dominated. But these guys were using a lot of tricky things that made the weapon very hard to approach and, admittedly I wasn’t using overheads as much as I should have in order to maximize damage, the window to guarantee pressure was very small and one minor miscalculation led to me eating the end result of a combo swing.

But I don’t have the knowledge or experience to say either way what the weapon needs. Can someone break it down for me?

• I definitely think it needs to got back to the way it was. As it stands now, its a 2 hit for most classes, a one hit only if you overhead the light classes in the head, even then…its no guarantee.
    While a 2 hit sounds great, the thing swings much too slow when it comes to those faster classes, who even if the first shot hits, I find they recover AND strike way before your wound up for that second strike, fast enough to flinch you even if you were in a combo. Archers and Maa’s might not like it, but as its been said, if they let you get with in range and can’t dodge the slowest mofo in the game, than that’s their problem.

As well, with its one shot capabilities, it means one shots on teammates again too. So it would need to be handled with care, instead of rarely handled at all as it stands now.

• @Evil:

I am seriously missing the option “Leave it as it is right now”. Having a biased vote already (excluding the current state) I expect nobody here to think about the question whether it might be better this way.

That is “One shot lights in head”

• @Dark:

Can someone give me a good rundown of the mauls capabilities and why they believe it needs the one shot potential?

Additionally, please lean more toward top end play. There are a lot of tricks and strats that can override a weapon’s ostensible downsides and I don’t like seeing balance suggestions based on average-to-lower end players inability to be effective due to inexperience.

I found two maul users last night who were very effective. I don’t like to get anecdotal and say “they topped all the chartz!” because we have all, I’m sure, been in a FFA or something with a bunch of players far below our skill and dominated. But these guys were using a lot of tricky things that made the weapon very hard to approach and, admittedly I wasn’t using overheads as much as I should have in order to maximize damage, the window to guarantee pressure was very small and one minor miscalculation led to me eating the end result of a combo swing.

But I don’t have the knowledge or experience to say either way what the weapon needs. Can someone break it down for me?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc … TZnc#gid=1 Shows all the number values of every weapon.

I know how the maul works. I wrote the damn guide. viewtopic.php?f=85&t=8502

So I am experienced enough with the maul to know the MAA blunt resist buff is the shaft in maul users’ butts.

Not saying the weapon is completely useless… Just saying it is much less useful than say the longsword or poleaxe. Poleaxe can also 2 shots most classes but much faster with similar reach as the maul. (How is this “balance”?)

• Almost forgot, several other weapons can already one shot lights in the head, meaning the maul is slow for nothing, without its ole one shot ability, all its really god for is interrupting a duel with an overhand swing to end it if your friend damaged him enough.

• considering how strong the bearded axe and the grand mace are (overhead only playstyle) wich is the same as maul, maul needs to oneshot every class to the torso except knights, knights is onehit to the head, and then it would be pretty balanced considering how fast i can make two grand mace overheads and that two shots any class

• @CommanderLuna:

Almost forgot, several other weapons can already one shot lights in the head, meaning the maul is slow for nothing, without its ole one shot ability, all its really god for is interrupting a duel with an overhand swing to end it if your friend damaged him enough.

The Maul’s prime advantage right now is its ability to one-shot Vanguards in the head. No other melee weapon can do that.

A Blunt weapon being a counter to Vanguards. Kinda… odd.

• Remove the MAA’s blunt and pierce resistance buffs, there was no reason for them to be buffed in any way shape or form. I used to use the maul as a fun weapon for one shotting anyone stupid enough to run into it, but now there’s no point seeing as how the grand mace is just better overall.
    If anything the MAA should have received a resistance nerf, not a buff.

• @Gadwin:

Remove the MAA’s blunt and pierce resistance buffs, there was no reason for them to be buffed in any way shape or form. I used to use the maul as a fun weapon for one shotting anyone stupid enough to run into it, but now there’s no point seeing as how the grand mace is just better overall.

Grand mace = the maul for her!

I agree. They are meant to be a light class. This shouldn’t mean adding more armor or resist. In fact, I feel that they should be on the same level as archers armor-wise. I enjoy playing MAA, but I do feel they are given too much defense being a light class. Heater shields and the recent buff are too much imo.

Before this gets too into “nerf MAA”, I want to point out that I personally don’t care about the other maces or blunt weapons’ damage against MAA, pretty much only the maul.

• HOLY CRAP I HAD A DREAM ABOUT THIS THREAD A WEEK AGO.

Like legit, seriously weirdest sh!t ever.

But yeah the maul nerf is bad IMO.

It takes long to charge up, any MAA can easily get in and hit, if he doesn’t it’s his fault.

• @Gadwin:

Remove the MAA’s blunt and pierce resistance buffs, there was no reason for them to be buffed in any way shape or form. I used to use the maul as a fun weapon for one shotting anyone stupid enough to run into it, but now there’s no point seeing as how the grand mace is just better overall.

Can’t say I agree with this.

What I will say is that it might be reasonable to nerf MaA’s Swing armor, while keeping his current Blunt armor.

The buff was to mitigate the fact that Blunt Damage was (and still is) the best damage type. This reduces the ability for Blunt weapons to be unique (as they need to be balanced accordingly) and also reduces their potential to be anti-knight weapons.

Just look at the Warhammer. It’s an anti-anything weapon. The Maul is good against anything but Knights.

• @NikolaiLev:

Just look at the Warhammer. It’s an anti-anything weapon. The Maul is good against anything but Knights.

I usually beat knights more than anything with the maul. Stab + overhead = win

I understand the thing about blunt vs. slash, but maul is supposed to be the one shot weapon and, in its current state, it is not living up to that. It’s cool one shotting vanguards, but MAA are a lighter class… Makes no sense for them to take same torso hits to kill regardless of damage type… If they are wanting to make a real difference between slash and blunt, they need a one shotting slash weapon like double axe which will one shot vanguards in head as well to cover that side of things…

• Revert the mauls!

• Ok guys this maul nerf isn’t funny at all. Its my favorite weapon and the hardest weapon to learn to use in the game and this patch made it almost unusable. Please make it as it was before: 1 overhand shot to torso kill for maa and archer (i belive it should be 1 torso overhand hit kill for vanguards as well cause its short and the slowest weapon in-game but imagine all the noob halberd users crying on the forum :D).

• Should the maul 1-shot maa, archers, and vanguards - YES
    BUT the problem at the moment is:
    -combos not being broken eg parry maul -> stab the maul wielder in the belly with a pole arm (spear) -> he follows through for the kill. Not cool.

Maybe what would be better is if they maul could not combo, BUT, could do a percentage of damage through successful shield blocks and perhaps the maul should be unparryable by light weapons (everything lighter then broad sword).

• @giantyak:

Should the maul 1-shot maa, archers, and vanguards - YES
    BUT the problem at the moment is:
    -combos not being broken eg parry maul -> stab the maul wielder in the belly with a pole arm (spear) -> he follows through for the kill. Not cool.

Maybe what would be better is if they maul could not combo, BUT, could do a percentage of damage through successful shield blocks and perhaps the maul should be unparryable by light weapons (everything lighter then broad sword).

No. This problem is because the spear guy stabs too late (after the windup, which is .7 seconds) so the swing starts and there is no interrupting a swing unless you kill them. I think you’re describing a hit trade which maul users kind of rely on in a lot of situations…

Combos with the maul are not a problem and taking away the combos would be a bigger nerf even with a damage buff or the buff you’re suggesting. Combos are good for ‘luring’ people into a second swing making them think you whiffed and they rush in for an attack only to be smashed by the follow up swing.

The problem with the maul right now is that it takes 2 hits to kill most classes. The grand mace has the increased speed, so buffing maul speed would make it a grand mace and buffing range would make it a polehammer. These weapons also 2 shot a lot of classes but are a bit faster than the maul. Solution? Buff damage. Personally, I’d like to see one shot in torso potential on vanguards. My opinion, however, is rather biased. I love the maul.

• a hit of the maul in a armor would make the armor to crush the guy inside, creating wounds, limiting movement and breathing.

• @soni2295:

a hit of the maul in a armor would make the armor to crush the guy inside, creating wounds, limiting movement and breathing.

True, but adding these mechanics would be a lot of work for the devs to add to the code. Adding damage value is changing one line. (I guess)

• This weapon is supposed to be the strongest, ITS NOT.

Sure, it kills maa/vanguard in 1 with 1 head hit.
    BUT there are several other weapons which are faster who can do the same output

The mace has slow windup, slow release, slow recovery.
    Even when you perform a combo attack (lets say twice overhead)
    After the 1 hit your opponent has no problem attacking due to the slow attack.
    So basilcly all you can do is 1 hit and try to feint so you can recover faster. That stuff costs A TON stamina.

AT LEAST it should 1 hit maa everywhere, even legs.

• @janii:

This weapon is supposed to be the strongest, ITS NOT.

Sure, it kills maa/vanguard in 1 with 1 head hit.
    BUT there are several other weapons which are faster who can do the same output

The mace has slow windup, slow release, slow recovery.
    Even when you perform a combo attack (lets say twice overhead)
    After the 1 hit your opponent has no problem attacking due to the slow attack.
    So basilcly all you can do is 1 hit and try to feint so you can recover faster. That stuff costs A TON stamina.

AT LEAST it should 1 hit maa everywhere, even legs.

Sometimes people get hit then panic and parry at the wrong time and get hit with a follow up attack… :lol:

Personally, I like the stab into overhead combo. It works pretty well against some people :)