Map gripes: Citadel

• Now Citadel has rolled out with the beefy content update, I’ve had the pleasure of many games on it. Unfortunately the very first stage has proven to be so difficult, 9 times out of 10 it progresses no further much to the frustration of the Agathaian team. I’ve not progressed past the first stage without the Masons actually letting Agatha onto the ballistas and watching them blast the pallisade wall down. The main gripes are:

• The distance Agatha needs to cover just to get to the walls is tiresomely epic.
    • Ballistas are too slow to turn around
    • Mason’s seem to spawn right next to ballista’s, even if you get on one, you’re hacked to bits within 10 seconds.
    • Pallisade wall takes too many hits to destroy

Once you’re through, the map is awesome. It’s just that first stage, I’ve come close to sending my wireless mouse flying through the window with the rage it causes.

• I agree the first stage seems very unbalanced.

• I tried playing the map in “singleplayer” mode(by using console commands open and addbots) and I found that the wall needs 5 bolts to be destroyed. Now this wouldn’t be a problem if the balistas would turn around more quickly.

As it is now, the straight line from Agatha spawn to Mason Balista can be ran by a man at arms in 40 seconds, without any resistance. This is the quickest route you can take with no resistance. The distance in itself is not wholely a problem, because, hey, first stage of Hillside also requires a long walk. The only difference there is that the Masons don’t spawn right besides the objectives.

I think these are two two greatest issues in the map.

• I was about to post a topic on this. Glad I found this.

The beginning objective is too much, really. The spawn is so far away, and the Masons practically spawn on top of the ballistae, and the stairway is so narrow that any Mason with a brain can just sit on the stairs and block you. And as others have said, it takes too long to turn the ballista around, and before you can Masons are already spawning and on top of you. I say have the ballistae already facing the barricade.

Also, cut out one of the “Free The Slaves” objective, maybe the third objective where you have to break their chains. It just seems too monotonous to free slaves from their cage, only to go free tons more without any clear indication where they all are, and only have four vague markers showing their general area.

And also, the breaking down the door to get to Malric needs to be tweaked. Have the door take less hits, maybe 10, 15 at most? It takes about 26 I believe, and that’s too much seeing as how this objective is similar to the first, with Mason spawning immediately near it and the space being so narrow that 2 Masons can just block each archway with shields or something.

The look of the map’s great, but the objectives need to be reworked a little. It somewhat favors Defensive side.

• Also, has anyone noticed how hard it is for Masons to actually defend Malric? Especially if you compare it to Stoneshill map with Agatha defending the king… Malric defense seems harder to do than fake Agatha king guy defense. I’m talking about final stage.

I agree, however that the first stage is hugely unbalanced in favor of Mason.

Also, breaking the doors stage seems too easy for Agatha… Like doors don’t have enough hp.

Just my thoughts.

• @Slaughtervomit:

Also, has anyone noticed how hard it is for Masons to actually defend Malric? Especially if you compare it to Stoneshill map with Agatha defending the king… Malric defense seems harder to do than fake Agatha king guy defense. I’m talking about final stage.

I agree, however that the first stage is hugely unbalanced in favor of Mason.

Also, breaking the doors stage seems too easy for Agatha… Like doors don’t have enough hp.

Just my thoughts.

If Agatha somehow gets past the first stage, they deserve to win ;)

• Citadel is so awesome! How can the Agathans even hope to keep up with that kind of badassery. 8-)