Blocking

• I’m not sure what exactly changed. Perhaps some sort of blocking hitzone, but ever since the update I’ve been getting my ass kicked badly, whereas before the update in 85% of the games I ended first as vanguard (always with claymore). The only class I play really.
    Now, I barely make it half way up the ladder and get my ass kicked by people (newbies, quite frankly) who just run up against me and spam…

I just can’t seem to properly block anyone. Especially people who come in close. They just run up against me like retards and then keep spamming their faster weapon. Especially archer and MAA are just unbeatable if they get in too close. They just use their fastest, weakest daggers, but the damage doesn’t matter, because they’ll continue stabbing you without giving you a chance to rebuff. And kicking is out of the question too, because that just takes too long now.

I’m sorry. Before the update this was the only game I played the last few months, and I loved it. But now it’s just not the same, and the last few games I’ve had no fun at all. In my eyes it seems like a good game has been ruined.

There are some good updates (loving the new alternate attacks), and I like the new maps, but please fix the blocking thing. Now it’s just random, where previously it felt like a fight actually required skill and timing to do well in the game.

• I’m not sure what they’ve done to blocking, it does definitely feel different - the third person block animation is notably a lot slower than it used to be, although I can’t quite tell if this applies to actually blocking something or if it’s just a visual change. Personally I found that for the first few matchs after they patched, I sucked badly. I’ve since adapted and am not finding it much more more difficult than it used to be.

• I was playing with all shields and blocking ability is fine. Give to some time to adjust yourself to the changes and disable the crosshair as sometimes it can confuse you as you have to block MORE not LESS and the crosshair is fooling you that you’ve your shield centered when you should have your shield more to the left/up/right.

• Yes, parrying has become a pain in the ass since the patch for me as well - Is there any changes in the patch notes that might explain this? It seems most noticeable when defending against longer one-handed weapons like the Morning Star and Dane Axe - I laugh when 3 consecutive swings go right through my parry. Luckily I haven’t seen much difference with shield blocking.

I guess my initial reaction is to adopt a totally offensive fighting style - don’t even worry about parrying if it’s a coin toss whether or not it’ll actually work. If parrying has to be THAT precise, then screw it. No matter how much of a moron I’ll feel like, I’ll just facehug and keep throwing varied attacks. Hopefully it’ll keep the enemy in defense mode so that he’ll have to deal with the problem, not me.

Also, Archer is looking pretty sweet right about now, eh?

• @Holy.Death:

I was playing with all shields and blocking ability is fine. Give to some time to adjust yourself to the changes and disable the crosshair as sometimes it can confuse you as you have to block MORE not LESS and the crosshair is fooling you that you’ve your shield centered when you should have your shield more to the left/up/right.

That’s what I thought at first too, but after playing about 10 maps I can say it doesn’t feel like there’s anything to get used too.It just feels broken. I’m even past the stage where it was frustrating. Now it’s just sad. Especially since I was enjoying myself so much before the patch. Don’t think I ever had that much fun playing a game since the CounterStrike days.
    I just don’t think it’s for me anymore. Feels too random, especially against people who don’t keep their distance. It’s just not realisticly believeable anymore either…

I don’t play with shields. Always play with the same setup; vanguard with two-handed claymore.

On the up side… I’ve had 115 hours of fun. Perhaps it’s just time to move on.
    @StrategicSteak:

Yes, parrying has become a pain in the ass since the patch for me as well - Is there any changes in the patch notes that might explain this? It seems most noticeable when defending against longer one-handed weapons like the Morning Star and Dane Axe - I laugh when 3 consecutive swings go right through my parry. Luckily I haven’t seen much difference with shield blocking.

Also, Archer is looking pretty sweet right about now, eh?

I’d like to know too. And the reason behind it.

And no, I hate archers myself, and wouldn’t wanna be caught dead playing as one. Same goes for MAA ;-) I considered my vanguard with the same setup each game “my avatar” in chivalry.

• Blocking seems the same for me, I don’t notice any of these problems you guys are talking about. The patch did change fov back to default so maybe that is what is making it hard for you guys to block. The morning star also has more speed so that may be why its a bit different to block aswell but other then that blocking seems the same.