New maps, duel mode, and server browser: Why.

• I’m always down for new content but I feel like no one play tested some of the new maps and the server browser.

Duel mode - Public duel history W:L is a bad thing for me. Previously I would duel and try to have a little fun with it, monkey knife fights, spear, fists, shortsword/shield archer, etc basically not tryharding for the sake of having a bit of fun with it. But now it was pointed out to me after a bunch of duels that now there is a record of duel history. I used to go easy on people and try to teach them what they did wrong or just not frustrate them to the point of quitting, but now you’ve forced my hand. If I go easy for a round, a second, I could lose that duel. And now losing means a permanent mark against my street cred; I have to go full tryhard every duel from now on. No more relaxing, teaching or experimenting, just pure and focused pvp 24/7.

The duel server menu is laggy, the challenge/accept buttons don’t work most of the time, and it’s missing an old feature and a new one: [Ping] and [Avoid Player] respectively. Now if I find a guy that’s pulling 500 ping and teleporting around I can neither know he’s lagging or possibly cheating. In either case or in the event I don’t want to murder the same level 2, 8 times in a row I cannot avoid these players in order to not be frustrated or bored.

That horrible sand pit with the elevator: What the actual fuck. I know 100% no one playtested this because it wouldn’t have been released had it been, or at least I hope it wouldn’t have. The elevator in the middle causes the following problems:

Standing on elevator while it’s moving, swing weapon, your character floats (stays where he swung) until the animation is over. This leads to things like: Your character flying upward when the lift is moving down, your character falling through the solid floor and then teleporting (or not sometimes) back to where he started, and randomly incurred fall damage

The elevator itself will have your character serverside model teleporting between floors which means for gameplay that I can see you on the lower floor and hit you, but on your screen you are on the upperfloor, then your view gets teleported down.

And that’s just from a technical standpoint. The game mechanics it allows are horrendous for a duel as well. Beating someone up and then they jump on the elevator gives them impunity to regen health or use projectiles by either having the elevator be inaccessible 100% from the bottom or just catching it as it rides by the floor. Jumping to the elevator from above means large fall damage and leaving yourself open and if you’re on the lower floors it’s not likely that you’ll be able to catch it as you run up. Also as there is no way (without bugs) to reach the person on the top of the elevator when you’re on the bottom, this again allows stalling and regen that is annoying and slows down gameplay considerably. Also, I don’t even care that it kills you if it is gingerly lowered on to your head but for the love of god would a slight audio cue be too much to ask for? Creaking wood perhaps? Maybe a little straining rope? For those who think that’s dumb, consider this: “There was complete silence and an elevator landed on my head, working as intended”. I think that sounds a bit more ridiculous.

Beside the elevator the whole idea of a map where one person starts above and can freely monitor the movements of the other, having multiple chances to drop down behind the lower or freely pelt him with slings and arrows, and strongly disadvantaging long weapons in the closer quarters is just one dimensional and bland. It will force players that are aware of this to go with a couple of styles of play that aren’t what I think you were aiming for with these duel maps.

Speaking of which why do MOST of the duel maps happen to have such tight little fighting areas? The bridge and throneroom aren’t too bad on this but the others all seem to either be entirely taking place in a cramped shitty little hole that largely prevents the use of longer weapons unless you only thrust for most of the map. There seems to be a huge favor for shorter weapons as you can swing freely for most of the map, not getting your overhands stuck on the ceiling or your swings on walls/pillars.

Another convention for these maps seems to be: walkways and holes. I feel like i’m playing a platformer with all the places to fall down or climb across, it does make fights more intense when you have to focus so much on your position but not when it’s every other map. Then it’s boring and means we don’t have a final destination at all.

Server browser- I didn’t think it was too bad before, sure it had slight miscounts for some servers but now:

1. Lags like fuck
    2. UI is crowded with new “features”
    3. Sort by gametype button doesn’t work
    4. Duel mode isn’t a gametype on the filter menu
    5. Still has slight miscounts (joined a ten/twelve duel server, only two people in it)

It looks like you guys tried to cram every feature you could think of into a black and grey rectangle but it didn’t work out. IMO just keep it simple.

New TO maps:

1. Performance, went from 61 FPS on 32 person TO maps to 20 fps on 24 person servers just by changing the map to a new one. Shitsux.
    2. slave boxes screaming in joy nonstop sometimes after you release them

• I agree wholeheartedly, I really, really, dislike lifetime stats.

• I’d prefer it if the duels were best of 5, but yeah, most of the maps are pretty terrible. You’ll also fight some people that are just being really annoying instead of fighting, because the obstacles and multi-tiered areas leave a lot of room to just run away. Then again, there’s a timer, but a simple arena is all I want… nice big circle, salute your opponent and go at it, respawn outside the circle, step outside the circle for 100% health and a loss to the current duel.

-Shrugs- Not the best idea, but seems better than the current invasive UI and crappy maps.

• @Stillbjorn:

I agree wholeheartedly, I really, really, dislike lifetime stats.

This, particularly when the stats mean so little. I can join some servers and be 10-0 easily or join one with people that know what they are doing and do terribly.

• Sounds like the Lifetime stats would be better if they were private only? (For you to see, but not others).

As to the post, there’s probably some decent feedback here, but it’s a bit hard to take it all in with it all being in one gigantic mega-post, covering lots of different things heh.

Would probably be better if you could split it down into several smaller topics for each subject, posted in Bug Reports or Ideas / Suggestions (whichever is the most relevant), should be nice and easy for the devs to absorb the feedback seperately for each area then. :)

• I want the ability to reset my stats too.

• @BobT36:

Would probably be better if you could split it down into several smaller topics for each subject, posted in Bug Reports or Ideas / Suggestions (whichever is the most relevant), should be nice and easy for the devs to absorb the feedback seperately for each area then. :)

Wouldn’t it take the same amount of time to read each section

• @BobT36:

Sounds like the Lifetime stats would be better if they were private only? (For you to see, but not others).

That would work for me.

• So far I’ve played one of the TO maps and liked it, four CTF maps and liked those and I’m loving the Duel Mode.

For those who don’t want to have their stats shown, perhaps there can be an option that you can select to have them tracked or not tracked.

Or just run a server doing the FFA and Duel the old fashion way.

The one thing I don’t like about the Duel Mode is the Menu missing a couple of things.

“Avoid Player” doesn’t sound like a good option…. but what IS needed is a listing of pings and a button for vote kicking.

There was a couple of matches last night that seemed like either my ping or other player’s pings were horrible… in that I got killed by a few swings I didn’t even see a wind up for.

And Vote Kick would be great to be able to access easily again, as often there is always one or two clowns at the very end who just run away from each other, or simply don’t fight & stare at each other… wasting everybody else’s time.

There also is an issue with typing and menu pop ups… where you could be typing, a menu pops up, and you either lose what you were typing, or the menu locks up until you Tab on/off… and still can’t finish your message.

Other than that, I love this mode… new fav.

• @Mike_Effing_Jones:

@BobT36:

Wouldn’t it take the same amount of time to read each section

Not really, the devs will likely work by reading, prioritising, and addressing each single issue one-by-one. Makes things a tad easier to absorb if they’re already seperate that way. :)

Easy to get lost when trying to take in the big picture all at once.

• For those who haven’t noticed, the stats you earned in beta duel mode were transferred to live.

So while I was helping test the game and losing duels against players with 200 pings, they were permanently marking my record. Sweet… =\

• i dislike duel mode because it makes the maa basically useless… which WAS my favorite/best duel class as it was many others. The forcing you to use a shield thing is stupid. Now yes… you can put the shield away… but it’s still on your back which slows the maa down to a crawl. Plus i like being able to run around and stuff and not wait in a ‘pool’. I liked being able to move from one duel to the next especially while recording. But mostly, the maa is just RUINED for duel. This is an oversight as others have said… because the REASON you are forced to use the shield is because they took away the throwing weapons option in the weapon select… this only leaves… thats right, shields :|

I think the free for all servers that were set for duel should just remain duel servers and we should just do it that way until they re-work some stuff (if that is even planned, idk) I like the concept behind the duel mode and love the maps… but i can’t stand not being able to use my MaA as i like to… and everything else just seems too slow now. Take the zweihander for instance… a favorite amongst many vanguards, it’s long, it’s powerful. However it is totally slow as crap now… good luck landing a parry-counter especially if it’s a poke. Jesus the poke feels like it takes a long as being knocked back by a shield. What is it a 1.5 second poke? You can’t counter shit with that. The other guy can see that poke coming from a mile away lmao.

Anyways lets just stick with the duel stuff… i am a fan of the concept, the maps, etc. Love the spec mode in all the game types… but for god sake i can’t go into duel servers and just get owned because all of the classes are just too slow to duel now and it’s no longer fun. Hell you can’t even parry or block correctly now. It’s like it takes forever to block. So instead of clicking precisely when you are about to be ‘hit’. you have to like start the parry earlier or some crap. Some shit is just like unblockable now… not unblockable but VERY hard to block. I don’t mind having to aim to block, but some weapons are just ridic insane to try and block and i get hit with them a LOT more than i block them haha.

Overall, the fighting mechanics have just slowed the game down drastically and i feel like i’m going in slow motion all the time. I liked how battles were fast paced and the good matches would be like block counter, block, counter, attack attack, paryr counter etc… all very fast paced. I loved hitting back and forth and finally besting your opponent with timing or trickery. With the slow movement i feel like we can’t do that AS WELL (not at all) I loved feeling powerful and swift even as a knight (which is slower moving too) I never thought any of the speeds were OP or imbalanced. Certain weapons sure… but honestly after the update, i wish they added the weapons, maps, etc… but left MOST of the mechanics alone. Obvi they needed to fix some things, and alter a few weapons, but why not just leave it at that? i liked the way it was before and i’d rather have that back then this new… slowed down thing.

• bump. I know sacrilege

• I have a better idea regarding the duel record, what if there was a Checkbox there, called “Ranked Mode”, that when checked keeps tracks of your fights as usual, but when unchecked, any lose or win doesn’t get recorded at all. That way, when you want to just fool around in duels you can uncheck the ranked mode box.

• After getting the UI cleaned up, I’d rather just see separate ranked and unranked duel servers. Play on the unranked, and get competitive on the ranked.

I’d prefer to see a duel system similar to Warband’s, where you have to approach the other player, then both have to ‘activate’ the other to duel (for unranked).

• Agreed. The new update has introduced a lot of new bugs.

• @clayton-bigsby:

i dislike duel mode because it makes the maa basically useless… which WAS my favorite/best duel class as it was many others. The forcing you to use a shield thing is stupid. Now yes… you can put the shield away… but it’s still on your back which slows the maa down to a crawl. Plus i like being able to run around and stuff and not wait in a ‘pool’. I liked being able to move from one duel to the next especially while recording. But mostly, the maa is just RUINED for duel. This is an oversight as others have said… because the REASON you are forced to use the shield is because they took away the throwing weapons option in the weapon select… this only leaves… thats right, shields :|

Shields don’t slow you down at all when you aren’t using them.