Make bow and xbow aiming "bob" when moving

• I’ve always gotten annoyed by archers who while in good cover, snipe my ass from afar while moving about such that my own archers cannot shoot back effectively. This problem is especially prevalent in the ramming part of stonehill where agathian archers can fire off shots from the castle walls with impunity. Therefore, I suggest adding a “bobbing” or swaying effect when aiming the bow and crossbow while moving. And I mean bobbing as in the arrow will still fire where the reticle is, not that expanding reticle bullshit.

The purpose of the “bobbing” is simple. It makes long-range snipers more vulnerable to counter-sniping as they need to stand still to get an accurate shot, while conversely it encourages more aggressive play by archers since pin-point accuracy matters less at close range. It doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy long range camping anymore, but it does mean you have to either risk standing still or find a better spot.

For this to be effective, there needs to be a few fine points. Firstly, movement speed while aiming needs to be increased. Moving while aiming affects your accuracy, but moving itself isn’t particularly hard to do, and this also highlights the trade-off between evasiveness and accuracy. Secondly, reticle movement needs time to settle down after standing still so snipers cannot stand still, immediately fire, and continue moving just like that. Thirdly, faster bows and crossbows should have less sway since they’re obviously lighter and easier to handle, and for gameplay reasons are already hard enough to use for long range.

In my opinion, this will make defensive archers easier to kill by friendly ones in TO matches, short of dislodging them from their camping spot personally. Share your thoughts.

• I don’t think there’s an issue with it. But what would I know? 8-)

• I dont have a problem sniping castle wall archers. If you fire while moving you are already penalized on accuracy.

• @gregcau:

I dont have a problem sniping castle wall archers. If you fire while moving you are already penalized on accuracy.

Actually its glitched in multiplayer. All projectiles go down the little white dot regardless on how wide the crosshairs are. If you play singleplayer they do actually deviate, quite a bit too.

• This should be implanted to the game to encourage archers to try standing a bit still to make an accurate shot.

• @gregcau:

I dont have a problem sniping castle wall archers. If you fire while moving you are already penalized on accuracy.

No. Like lemonater said, your shot still flies true to your reticle, there is NO accuracy penalty to moving about when aiming.

@Unit:

I don’t think there’s an issue with it. But what would I know? 8-)

Let me give you 2 concrete examples on how long range snipers are deadly yet left untouched at the moment:

1. Stonehill. Archers. On Walls. Good Agathian archers who can make consistent shots while moving about the walls can cause a serious toll on advancing masons, all the while avoiding retribution because they’re so damn hard to hit.

2. The last stage of hillside. When Chivalry first released this was basically a joke round since the masons generally stood no chance. Now though, a decent Mason team can make their ballistas nigh impregnable by stationing as few as 2 good archers on their closest ballista. And what’s worse is how difficult they are to hit, especially if they hide behind the ballista itself and twitch about like hooligans.

• Yes yes and yes. 8-)

• Completely agree that they should have next to no accuracy at all when moving.
    Bobbing would be a perfect solution.

• Yes, please! This would be a much better addition to the game!

• @The:

Completely agree that they should have next to no accuracy at all when moving.
    Bobbing would be a perfect solution.

If you play single plays it deviates. You can’t really hit anything beyond 10 metre I your moving about. Even standing still its effective range isn’t infinite. Can’t do super long range shits. Sometimes your shot will go right down the dot but that’s probability.

• I disagree with this idea.

I think archering is challenging enough without a nerf like this.

Sorry you guys don’t like getting shot, but I don’t like it either.
    I also don’t like feints,
    shields,
    tkers,
    ksers,
    the recent maul nerf,
    halberds,
    warhammers,
    vk abusers,
    people who hide in castle on stoneshill,
    feinting (again),
    and archers who hide in spawn.

• @Slaughtervomit:

I disagree with this idea.

Sorry you guys don’t like getting shot, but I don’t like it either.
    I also don’t like feints,
    shields,
    tkers,
    ksers,
    the recent maul nerf,
    halberds,
    warhammers,
    vk abusers,
    people who hide in castle on stoneshill,
    feinting (again),
    and archers who hide in spawn.

At the moment its glitched. So they would technically be fixing the archer. Its not supposed to bob but its supposed to deviate.

• @lemonater47:

@gregcau:

Actually its glitched in multiplayer. All projectiles go down the little white dot regardless on how wide the crosshairs are. If you play singleplayer they do actually deviate, quite a bit too.

This should be fixed then and if its still to accurate “bobing” could be implemented.

• I disagree.

• @DraGo:

I disagree.

with the OP or the fact that they should just fix the glitched bows?

• @Slaughtervomit:

I disagree with this idea.

You gotta be kidding.
    It’s no challenge at all, I even disable the crosshair when I play archer or crossbowman.

• archers get owned in almost every match, they don’t need to be nerfed.

• Agree. Totally.

• As someone who occasionally plays archer, I would like this idea, except it unnecessarily nerfs lighter weapons that need to move about to be viable. The Shortbow, mostly. At some point in the beta this was “fixed” and it made the Shortbow completely worthless, because the agility while firing is one of your only assets. The Warbow at least makes you more vulnerable.

Forcing all archers to sit still while aiming would only exacerbate the problem of the Warbow being the only competitive choice.

• LIke I’ve said, for the purpose of balance lighter weapons should have less reticle sway.

Historically though, composite shortbows were meant to be fired semi-accurately on horseback, so i think its only fair they are as stable in this game.