Bows require stamina to shoot

• This was something brought up at our last dev-mod meeting. Bows currently don’t require any stamina to shoot/aim. Logically, it would make sense that they should. It would give something to differentiate them from crossbows as those obviously don’t need stamina to aim and balance out the rate of fire between the two.

Thoughts?

As a forewarning, please keep it chivalrous.

Thanks!

• I don’t know about you, but standing behind the front lines doing absolutely nothing because my stamina has to refill doesn’t sound very enjoyable

• @ReMixx:

This was something brought up at our last dev-mod meeting. Bows currently don’t require any stamina to shoot/aim. Logically, it would make sense that they should. It would give something to differentiate them from crossbows as those obviously don’t need stamina to aim and balance out the rate of fire between the two.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Drawing bow should take stamina.

• This doesn’t sound like a totally bad idea.

It would mean an archer can’t kept plastering you with arrows when you run towards him. He’d have to play more conservatively in preparation for a melee fight. I like it!

• @ReMixx:

Bows currently don’t require any stamina to shoot/aim. Logically, it would make sense that they should.

This can be said about a lot of things in CMW.

@ReMixx:

It would give something to differentiate them from crossbows

I think they are differentiated enough because of how useless crossbows are.

• I really lille this idea. It Will Also add to the reason for choosing the Xbow over the bow. It Will Also make it harder to use the bow. I Would love to see this implementet.

• it would slow the archer spammers trying to steal kills, also the weapon swap should cost stamina and it should be faster for the archer.

• I like this idea. This could help the balace bows versus crossbows and give more reason to take a shortbow over long- and war- bows. Light and normal crossbow could use stamina, but light less than the normal one and the heavy one none at all (as the time it takes to reload is penalty big enough. That’s my take on this.

• they definitely should… i just assumed they were implemented something like throwing weapons so they dont quite count as “swings”, but it really bothers me that they dont. it should cost at least a small amount of stam to draw a bow, and the same to reload an xbow. even just 15 stam, like a feint. the constant shooting and drawing your next arrow before acquiring the actual target as you move forward (or dance) should be reduced. take a breath for stam then pull back, or release a flurry then need a break… relax, a stam bar refills in like >10 seconds? i would even suggest zooming or aiming the xbow should cost similar to raising a shield, but thats being extreme and not very probable. i aslo believe other thrown weapons should have a small cost, why not?

so again: abso-friggin-lutely, it should cost stam to draw (potentially to xbow reload). not just for common sense balance, but because the archer shouldnt have a full stam bar + a cudgel complete with parries and combos to aid his survivability

• While I certainly am no fan of archers, it’s already way too easy to kill them in melee. Adding a stamina penalty would make them absolutely powerless. Which is no skin off my nose, but that would be a little unfair. Tweaking the crossbow a bit might be a good idea, as they are pretty hard to use (which is ironic, as they were made popular because they were a lot easier to use than a longbow).

• @Holy.Death:

reason to take a shortbow over long- and war- bows.

This was one of the points behind it too, really giving people a reason to use the short bow and further differentiate longbow and warbow (maybe?).

I’m also thinking that this will help ease adding kicks with the bow since you have to have stamina to kick. It’ll help limit kick + point blank shoot while stunned (if stamina is low). Maybe, maybe not.

• Sounds good. There should be a small stamina cost varying by bow for each shot fired and continuous drain while you have an arrow drawn but don’t shoot.

@Zaraki:

While I certainly am no fan of archers, it’s already way too easy to kill them in melee. Adding a stamina penalty would make them absolutely powerless.

They’re freekill either way if you can flank them with their ranged out. This just forces them to play smart by rationing both ammo and stamina and punishes them for missing. Sounds fair to me considering how easy archery is otherwise.

@Zaraki:

Tweaking the crossbow a bit might be a good idea, as they are pretty hard to use (which is ironic, as they were made popular because they were a lot easier to use than a longbow).

But they are the easiest to use. With increased projectile speed and less dropoff no target leading is needed at mid-short ranges and long-range sniping is viable. The lengthy reloads may make for lower damage output than a skilled bowman who can land consecutive shots, but you can’t say they’re not easy to get hits with.

• @Zaraki:

it’s already way too easy to kill them in melee. Adding a stamina penalty would make them absolutely powerless.

*most are too easy to kill, but only just as easy as a preoccupied or unskilled MAA

adding stamina *usage wouldnt make them anywhere near powerless
    @Torrenz:

continuous drain while you have an arrow drawn but don’t shoot.

i thought this too but at least currently you dont regen while being drawn

• Sounds like a good idea. It could act as a bit of a buff as well if you allow archers to hold an arrow ready for as long as his stamina lasts instead of cancelling it after so long automatically.

• Any information on a buff to balance out a nerf?

Archer is one of my most despised classes.

You can’t kill knights because their shields block all arrows from the front AND sides, and when you do manage to land TWO shots with bodkin (those are the armor killers, right?) arrows they STILL live.

I’ve fired arrows at Knight’s legs and completely missed the shield, but it still registers as a shield hit. I’ve fired at their body from the side while they were blocking and it STILL hits the shield.

It’s so silly. The hardest weapons in the game to land hits on give the least amount of payoff. Usually your kill gets taken by a teamy.

On the flipside, Archers can turtle behind parry until teamates bail them out, even when they get pounded by mauls, and Vanguards are DEFENSELESS against them. Besides zigzagging, I guess.

I don’t see why Archers need a nerf without getting something in return. And I’m not talking about a Javelin buff (Though I do love it <3). I’m strictly talking bow/xbow.

• @AwefulWaffle:

Any information on a buff to balance out a nerf?

You can’t kill knights because their shields block all arrows from the front AND sides, and when you do manage to land TWO shots with bodkin (those are the armor killers, right?) arrows they STILL live.

I’ve fired arrows at Knight’s legs and completely missed the shield, but it still registers as a shield hit. I’ve fired at their body from the side while they were blocking and it STILL hits the shield.

It’s so silly. The hardest weapons in the game to land hits on give the least amount of payoff. Usually your kill gets taken by a teamy.

On the flipside, Archers can turtle behind parry until teamates bail them out, even when they get pounded by mauls, and Vanguards are DEFENSELESS against them. Besides zigzagging, I guess.

I don’t see why Archers need a nerf without getting something in return. And I’m not talking about a Javelin buff (Though I do love it <3). I’m strictly talking bow/xbow.

Seriously?

• @Herkulades:

@AwefulWaffle:

Seriously?

Feel free to post your own opinion. A community is built on people discussing game mechanics, not quoting a wall of text and then typing “Seriously?”

My observations are my observations. I can aim for the feet on a kite shield user all I want and will maybe once out of a good 10 shots NOT hit their shield.

And a knight with his guard up (meaning his flanks are exposed) still manages to block my arrows from the side most of the time.

• @ReMixx:

This was something brought up at our last dev-mod meeting. Bows currently don’t require any stamina to shoot/aim. Logically, it would make sense that they should. It would give something to differentiate them from crossbows as those obviously don’t need stamina to aim and balance out the rate of fire between the two.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

If thou adds stamina to firing bows (in the good name of logic) then to remain consist thou must make mauls slow down knight speed more than flails.

• I think this would be a great input to give more depht into the Bows in general, adding a slightly stamina drain like the Shields have once you raise them. But the question is? what will happend IF you try to fire the bow while you are out of stamina? should It constantly release the bow string due to no stamina? That would atleast make archers slightly disabled when they are low on stamina, I think that would be good idea, drain their stamina and you can be sure they have to take a slightly breath before firing their arrows again. This should however also be applied to Crossbow reload, Not as a slightly stamina drain, but as a stamina cost to reload that crossbow. Maybe this should also be applied for Javelineers? or should they have the unique feature of being able to hold their weapon ready for throwing for as long as they want?

Another thing; I also would like to see the bows get rotated horizontal upon crouch. No bow user could really crouch like that with a bow, either they had to use a extra small bow, stand upon their feets tall, or rotate the bow into a horizontal hold.

• @AwefulWaffle:

@Herkulades:

@AwefulWaffle:

Seriously?

Feel free to post your own opinion. A community is built on people discussing game mechanics, not quoting a wall of text and then typing “Seriously?”

My observations are my observations. I can aim for the feet on a kite shield user all I want and will maybe once out of a good 10 shots NOT hit their shield.

And a knight with his guard up (meaning his flanks are exposed) still manages to block my arrows from the side most of the time.

Sorry, I couldn’t take it serious. This is the first time I’ve read an archer having a problem.
    I’ll leave now.