Flails are fail.

• They are a terribly weaker version of the War Hammer. There is no excusing their stats in comparison to a weapon that does its job 1000x better. It also is apparently a slower swing than most 2handers? Had terrible reach, and mediocre damage? Did you beta test this at all?

Oh. And you will hit trade. I don’t know if this is a bug or something to do with the weapons crap speed, but you will almost always hit-trade. Not to your favor.

A HELL of a lot more damage and speed is needed to justify this weaker warhammer with a weaker shield. It seems the Pole Hammer is the only good weapon released this patch, but seeing how it’s a poleaxe reskin, I can see why.

• I’d rather they just reduced the damage of the Warhammer than buffed the flail.

Think I’d also prefer no buckler with the flail even if that meant no ability to parry. Because it would basically be the same effect except you can actually see.

• I loved the flail in AoC and it’s alright here I guess…

However the reach is pretty crap, especially on Overheads, I had quite a lot of trouble connecting them even when up close. Don’t really like the girly shield tap, would prefer a 360 overhead swing.

Idle physics on the chain part are a bit wierd when turning, it seems to flap allover the place like a piece of string in the wind and means I can’t really judge whether it’s ready or not cause I can’t actually see my weapon. Ball n chain part needs some “weight” to it.

I did manage to have a much better time in 3rd person with Flail though and managed to judge range a bit better and land a lot more hits (I prefer 1st though). I think the flail should have strong damage, decent attack speed, and slow recovery, (but able to block still). I found the alt swing to be quite useful to hit around someone’s shield from the left.

Heater Shield choice too please!

• There is no excuse for having them SLOWER than the Sword of War or Messer…not when they have already average damage and crap reach. Buff this shit, Torn Banner. You didn’t test it at all.

• @Garfuncle:

You didn’t test it at all.

viewforum.php?f=80

Agreed though that this shit needs buffing. I believe they were actually massively OP before, but got nerfed a tad too hard.

• Flails don’t need buffing or range/damage. They need to have their style altered.

What I would love to see is as a combo progresses the damage gets more and more, like it is being wound up.
    Even if you miss the next hit should do more damage, then more on the next and so on. Counter this a bit with increased stamina for each successive swing. It would be awesome as people would start swinging their flail around just before combat and they would be very deadly weapons.

Of course if people spent too long swinging it around they would lose their stamina.

• @Garfuncle:

There is no excuse for having them SLOWER than the Sword of War or Messer…not when they have already average damage and crap reach. Buff this shit, Torn Banner. You didn’t test it at all.

You have a valid point, but your presentation makes you look like an idiot.

• You have a valid point, but your presentation makes you look like an idiot.

10/10 would read again.

• @Toll:

Flails don’t need buffing or range/damage. They need to have their style altered.

What I would love to see is as a combo progresses the damage gets more and more, like it is being wound up.
    Even if you miss the next hit should do more damage, then more on the next and so on. Counter this a bit with increased stamina for each successive swing. It would be awesome as people would start swinging their flail around just before combat and they would be very deadly weapons.

Of course if people spent too long swinging it around they would lose their stamina.

Fun in theory but I think that would just promote spamming. :(

• The advantage of the flail is that it is hard to tell where the blow will land. I played around with it for the 15 minutes I had free last night and liked it(the lighter one). The quick shield is a blessing to the slow flail but yeah over head flail sounds fun.

I think it is wayyyyy to early to say whether or not its balanced. Give it at least a week?

• I personally think the flail is fine in terms of damage, But I think it could use a tiny bit more reach. I’d definitely use it more if the buckler shield wasn’t so god awful. :\ I just hope they have a fix for the shield problem(IE. Hits going through shield regardless of blocking), and hit trading coming soon.

• Unless they change the model, reach won’t happen. And I thought the point of the flail was to have a fast, powerful knight weapon that required getting in their face to use? Right now it’s horribly slow, and its damage isn’t up to par with other swords that can be used with shields, or the warhammer.

Increase the speed by a lot, and increase the damage for the heavy flail to be on par with the warhammer, and the flail to be where the heavy flail is now. This will justify the extreme low range, and use of the crap buckler.

• i think the flails are fail. in early beta they were very fun.

i thought they were balance, fast swings and you give up fast wind up combos and a dinky shield and no stab attack.

now they just swing slow, combo slow, never thought a 5 pound ball of steel would move so slow.

• Fun in theory but I think that would just promote spamming.

They are flails, they are kind of meant to be spammy. :D

It would be pretty fun tho.

• I love the flails feel and look, but shield bug is annoying and that the shield is also a bit too vision blocking, look at the Sword and Buckler and then back to the flail, the difference in how much the shield is blocking vision is more on the flail and less on the sword.

Perhaps a small amount of speed or damage buff perhaps otherwise im fine ^^

• – Flail and Heavy Flail timings equalised.

Anyone caring to explain this to me? It sounds like both flails are now equal in terms of speed, which would be somewhat breaking the point of having two flails as the heavy flail would be equally fast and more damaging (a bit). Or is the flail having some properties that make it up for equal speed?

• @BobT36:

@Toll:

Flails don’t need buffing or range/damage. They need to have their style altered.

Fun in theory but I think that would just promote spamming. :(

And this would be different from the current state of things how?

• And this would be different from the current state of things how?

Well, right now both flails are very easy to block, especially when someone is spamming attacks, leaving him open for the counter-attack.

• Totally fine with the state of the weapon, personally.

It is the BUCKLER that needs to be fixed. Please tell me the issue is recognized, 'cause 1/3 attacks go straight through the thing, no matter how perfectly I aim my block.

• I didn’t play the beta early on with them, but I saw videos of it they swung a bit too fast and had a tad too much range but the damage was fine and people seemed to block okay. Now when I get to use them I find that there is no reason to, unless I think my KD would look better with more deaths. I find that I can kill a knight easier with a secondary broadsword than this primary flail with pretty much the same amount of hits. I use a flail irl and they hit like trucks I feel like a good idea for a fix would be putting the heavy on par with the warhammer and giving it access to another shield. I love your game guys but you nerfed the only weapon I actually wanted to use to where I get killed everytime I use it.