Is parry now broken?

• Have to add to this. I’ve watched weapons go clean through my own weapon model while parrying lately. It doesn’t happen often, but it happens enough to where it’s starting to become annoying.

I don’t know if it’s something I’m doing, or should be doing differently, but it looks ridiculous on my screen to watch swings completely ignore my correctly timed, correctly positioned parry.

Was parry adjusted at all in the patch: the timings, the protectable area, anything?

• I’ve noticed this especially with 1 handers. I don’t know if the Falchion has always been this way, but this is what it seems like when attempting to parry most single handed weapons:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK0KwR8qBlo

It almost seems like the hitbox for horizontal strikes is far wider than it should be. I think the reason I’ve noticed this more is that my deaths by LMB spamming new players is much higher than it has been in the past.

• On the attacking end, I’ve noticed that many of my swings are getting through parries more easily than normal, even against top-end duelists. I suspect that the parry hitbox has indeed been reduced in size. Coupled with the similar shield hitbox nerf and daze-on-kick, defensive play is far inferior to offensive play now. Will do some tests later on to see if I can confirm this.

• I think the main problem is the change in cooldown times for swings. I do fine 1v1, but if I have two people coming after me I’m certain I’ll die, because I can’t block in time to stop them. Before, I could outsmart them and usually do well but not it’s hopeless if I see two people.

• I too have noticed far more failed parrys and blocks that pre patch would have been fine. I have also noticed my weapon going right into an enemies model doing no damage. Not sure what the hell happened with the patch to cause such horrid hit and parry detections but my KDR as well as my accuracy has gone way down.

• @Retsnom:

I too have noticed far more failed parrys and blocks that pre patch would have been fine. I have also noticed my weapon going right into an enemies model doing no damage. Not sure what the hell happened with the patch to cause such horrid hit and parry detections but my KDR as well as my accuracy has gone way down.

It sounds like you’re just bad, even with apparent cheating and experience.

• This needs to be fixed immediatly. This , the desynced slowmo animations that go right trough your parry and the fake-feint counterattacks need to be patched asap

• @KILLBANDS:

@Retsnom:

I too have noticed far more failed parrys and blocks that pre patch would have been fine. I have also noticed my weapon going right into an enemies model doing no damage. Not sure what the hell happened with the patch to cause such horrid hit and parry detections but my KDR as well as my accuracy has gone way down.

How exactly does that mean he is “just bad” if he didn’t have the issue pre-patch and other people are also reporting the same thing?

• I have only noticed a difference for one handers at close range, never really had any issues blocking close m1 spam from knights or MaA before patch but now I tend to miss the blocks alot more.

• I’ve found parrying to be much more difficult since the patch. You have to look really far up or to the sides to block attacks now. If someone is facehugging you with a falchion or hatchet it often means having to look directly to the side/up. It’s really hard to defend against and I see a lot of people just facehugging and spamming slash as their main strategy. Coupled with the shield nerf the game is just much more spammy and attack based. I enjoyed fighting much more before the patch tbh.

• Hit detection definitely feels off since this patch. I’m getting hit by a lot of things I shouldn’t be getting hit by, and subsequently I’m landing a lot of hits I shouldn’t be landing.

• @KILLBANDS:

@Retsnom:

So did you take lessons in being a douche nozzle or does it come natural? You are more than welcome to bring your weak ass into any of the Kila THUNDERDOME servers to test my skills…

noobs… what cha gonna do?

• I’m definitely noticing it a lot now. Had a few instances last night where I was certain a parry should have worked… like the parry animation of my claymore was fully extended and the tip of the enemy’s grand mace was clearly center of the screen. But nope. Kill for him anyway.

Had a mate watching some of them in spectator cam and said it looked like he just clipped straight through the parry. Something is definitely off. I do hope for a fix.

• There is definitely something off. Got killed a bunch of times by attacks that should have been parried by me. But facehug range parries with short weapons (hatchet for example) were broken from the very beginning.

• I notice the Falchion always going past my shield. In such position I always blocked before the patch. If your stab hits the edge or near edge of a shield it goes through.

• @SirKitty:

I’ve found parrying to be much more difficult since the patch. You have to look really far up or to the sides to block attacks now. If someone is facehugging you with a falchion or hatchet it often means having to look directly to the side/up. It’s really hard to defend against and I see a lot of people just facehugging and spamming slash as their main strategy. Coupled with the shield nerf the game is just much more spammy and attack based. I enjoyed fighting much more before the patch tbh.

This along with some hits going through their model without any hit registering has annoyed me enough I am basically not playing this game much anymore and focusing on other games.

Not that I was any super high level player, but I was improving and feeling good about that improvement, but now it has become a more spammy attack based game and has lost it’s “fun” factor for me. The lack of being able to feel confident that when I place a hit or a parry correctly that it is going to land, or parry as intended pretty much killed the “tactics” of a “good” fight now. Which is where I felt this game shined pre-patch.

Not that it’s terribad now, and I still have fun, but eventually I get annoyed with it enough that I’ll take a break from it. I’m hoping a future patch will improve the detection again.

• I fully agree with what was stated about the recent patch. The game was a fluid and enjoyable experience clear up until the most recent patch, where it seems all fluidity and pleasure associated with it during combat between players of all classes and weapon types has been greatly diminished. Prior to the patch, I was advocating for many of my friends to purchase the game, now, they are well informed about my great contempt for the game in its current state. I receive no joy from the game experience any longer, and the best form of support I can provide to the gaming community of Chivalry is to boycott it until the previous, or a more acceptable balance patch replaces the current one. My suggestion to the coders who are responsible for the latest balance mechanics between the classes, and with their weapons is as follows. I suggest you completely restore the previous mechanics, and then, starting from square one, begin to change things so subtly that a die hard fan such as myself would not notice the change so drastically, and please, do not use the current variables you now have in place. I would recommend that someone on your team who plays upwards of 40 hours of week and is a skilled, non-grieving type mentality be responsible for these such updates. I would also ask that you consult the community before you blindly make changes that will inspire so many to quit the game so abruptly. You may have not noticed, but I surely have, that the amount of servers and players that play the game now has severely diminished. As I stated above, just return the game mechanics to its previous state, and maybe there is hope for this game in the future. Please do not interpret this as my lack of appreciation for all of the bug fixes and the new content that has been released, but I can safely say that the good does not outweigh the bad, and in its current state, I am unwilling to play it. Thank you all for your time.

• @SirKitty:

I’ve found parrying to be much more difficult since the patch. You have to look really far up or to the sides to block attacks now. If someone is facehugging you with a falchion or hatchet it often means having to look directly to the side/up. It’s really hard to defend against and I see a lot of people just facehugging and spamming slash as their main strategy. Coupled with the shield nerf the game is just much more spammy and attack based. I enjoyed fighting much more before the patch tbh.

exactly this

• I agree especially for one handed weapons they are harder to parry now, and I am sure a lot of swing went through my parry and hit me, in previous patch it wasn’t the case, I hope they fix this soon, as currently when I see one hander swinging at me I just try to escape or avoid his hit by foot work, which is not very fun really.

• Falchion is literally unblockable now if you try to use visual aids when blocking it at close hug range. You have to block an imaginary point about 140 degrees behind you. I’ve noticed so many bad players just go knight with falchion and kite shield and just spam you to death, if you try to parry like pre-patch c:mw taught you, you get beheaded. They absolutely broke melee combat with this patch, and what’s unacceptable is how long it will most likely take for them to notice or even fix it.