Shields and 2h hitboxes

• I don’t know what they did to the shields but they seem useless now. I’ve been playing the duel mode and the shields don’t do anything. People come running at my face directly in front of me with my shield up LMB spamming and just hit right through my shield. I can actually see the weapon go through it. I use the buckler and the kite shield. Did they change them, because it’s getting extremely annoying with people just ignoring my shield. :x

Also I noticed something with 2H weapons. If I’m face hugging a guy with a 2h and he swings I automatically get hit. He doesn’t have to actually go through with the swing. That kinda makes close range fighting useless, seeing that they hit faster than me when I’m up close. IMO this needs to be changed. 2H weapons should not be good up close. They’re meant to have an advantage from a distance and a disadvantage up close. Right now they have an advantage far away and up close.

• This isn’t a result of the patch, nothing was changed with the shield blocking code. Shields have always been like this (ever since release), you need to turn a LOT more when people are in hugging distance, and I agree, it’s annoying and makes the shield feel unreliable.

• Personally, I like this. You have to turn to at an exterme angle to block hits, otherwise they’ll go through. This allows skilled people to take advantage of inexperienced shield users as to not waste time. However, a skilled shield user can almost completely shut out the other player from getting attacks through his block.

My advice is to, again, turn as hard as you can into an enemy’s directional swing. You have to aim right and left for regular swings, straight into a stab, and up for overheads. Crouching also helps when you have to block with a shield because it makes you less of a target, and usually gives you more time to aim up for overheads.

• @Martin:

This isn’t a result of a the patch, nothing was changed with the shield blocking code. Shields have always been like this (ever since release), you need to turn a LOT more when people are in hugging distance, and I agree, it’s annoying and makes the shield feel unreliable.

Hmm, feels like they changed something to me. I could block fine before, but now it’s like people are ignoring it. They need to fix this, I’m surprised it’s not been fixed already. Kinda makes the shields useless when they don’t even block half the time.
    I’ve also been having trouble with parrying after this update. Same as with shields, it’s like people ignore it. I don’t know if I just got worst than I was before, but I can’t block 80% of swings coming at me anymore, with shield or parry.

What do you think of the insta-hits with 2-handers at close range? It kinda makes the weapon speed and intended range pointless. I don’t really get why they would do that. I just played a game with a guy using the maul and his stab hit me faster than my stab with my norse sword hit him, and I started before him! I think it’s a problem with the hit boxes. When you stab/swing with a 2H, the hitbox is already in the enemy body if they’re face-hugging, making an insta hit. That’s what it seems like at least.

• I agree.

The current system is broken and unrealistic. Face hugging a shield allows you to get around it? What bullshit, in reality your swinging arm would get blocked by the edge of the shield.

Getting around a shield involves maneuvering around it to hit the flank. Swinging arms which come in contact with the shield before the weapon does with the body should NOT register a hit.

• I’ve noticed this as well, it does not apply to only hugging distance slashes, it also applies to MAA’s, all aiming DIRECTLY at their weapon works as it pleases, most of the time it does, rest it just acts as a sheet of paper through which you can cut through.

• @DerFürst:

Personally, I like this. You have to turn to at an exterme angle to block hits, otherwise they’ll go through. This allows skilled people to take advantage of inexperienced shield users as to not waste time. However, a skilled shield user can almost completely shut out the other player from getting attacks through his block.

My advice is to, again, turn as hard as you can into an enemy’s directional swing …

Even if there is an element of skill involved, I never liked it. I always wish there was some mechanics that could be used that would make Blocking or Parrying an attack EASIER the closer the person is to you. Mostly just because of how everything gets all buggy and clippy when people get that close. In “real” life if someone is that close, they aren’t hitting you with their sword, they are hitting you with their elbows. If you can’t possible see the tip of the weapon to parry it due to point blank proximity, it should always be a successful parry, as long as you still time it right.

• The shield mechanics in general are bad. Arrows get blocked by shields when the shield is on the opposite side of the strike. They already manage to block hits from the far left and right where they shouldn’t, yet they are like paper when it comes to using them to actually block an easily blockable strike.

• @DerFürst:

Personally, I like this. You have to turn to at an exterme angle to block hits, otherwise they’ll go through. This allows skilled people to take advantage of inexperienced shield users as to not waste time. However, a skilled shield user can almost completely shut out the other player from getting attacks through his block.

My advice is to, again, turn as hard as you can into an enemy’s directional swing. You have to aim right and left for regular swings, straight into a stab, and up for overheads. Crouching also helps when you have to block with a shield because it makes you less of a target, and usually gives you more time to aim up for overheads.

By skilled people you mean those you understand how glitchy shield are, and know how to use that to their advantage I assume.

It is possible to get around a block if you know to side step, and which swings to use, and when to use them. But when the head of the weapon passes through the shield to hit someone that is just plain broke.

Sure the head of an axe can still strike, overside and around the side of a shield, particularly if you jump and side step, but if the player with the shield is not receiving proper feedback they will not be able to adjust.

The current mechaic require the shield to obscure your view when blocking, regardless of its size and the angle. Rule of thumb in combat, never take your eyes off your oppenent.

Tower shields might be the only exception to this rule, but they were designed with a very specific set of functions, that do not really do not apply to this game.

• @DerFürst:

This seem about right.

• @Jadarok:

In “real” life if someone is that close, they aren’t hitting you with their sword, they are hitting you with their elbows.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gladius
    We even have quite similar thrusting sword in game and some daggers and knives too.

• I’ll let the shield bugginess slide for now. The things I can’t let slide are the hitboxes. In no circumstance should a 2h weapon insta hit, especially not at close range. That’s what happens when I die 90% of the time because of halberd users and 2h sword users. You can barely see the animation start and they have already hit you. That is unacceptable.
    Second is the parrying. I don’t know what they did in the update, but something changed the way the parrying works. I can’t parry to save my life anymore. It just doesn’t happen anymore. I parry and they just cut or stab right through it. I was fine before the update, about an average player. now I’m lucky to get 2 kills in a game. I don’t know what they did to this game, but it’s bad.

• @Jadarok:

In “real” life if someone is that close, they aren’t hitting you with their sword, they are hitting you with their elbows.

Stop bringing realism as an argument.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

@Jadarok:

While gameplay should come before realism, simply dismissing realism is not a good idea. It does play a part in how players perceive a mechanic, and expect it to function.

If a game mechanic is not understood because of a gameplay/realism paradox then it needs to be addressed, whether that means changing it or better preparing the players for the difference.

Shields are a prime example.

In IRL a shield is capable of blocking a sword strike from various points and angles along the vast majority of the blade. Smaller shields such as the bucker are often used to deflect a strike rather than block it to create a opening for a counter strike.

In game a shield must block the point of a weapon, which becomes difficult to see once the shield is raised in first person view.

Do shields need to be changed? I don’t know.
    Can they be changed with out breaking game play? I don’t know.

@rumpelstiltskin:

@Jadarok:

But there is validity in real life comparisions of how mechanics work. Though in regards to this particular quote I would have to say that game play would have to win.

• @Baskyn:

I’ll let the shield bugginess slide for now. The things I can’t let slide are the hitboxes. In no circumstance should a 2h weapon insta hit, especially not at close range. That’s what happens when I die 90% of the time because of halberd users and 2h sword users. You can barely see the animation start and they have already hit you. That is unacceptable.
    Second is the parrying. I don’t know what they did in the update, but something changed the way the parrying works. I can’t parry to save my life anymore. It just doesn’t happen anymore. I parry and they just cut or stab right through it. I was fine before the update, about an average player. now I’m lucky to get 2 kills in a game. I don’t know what they did to this game, but it’s bad.

I agree, before patch i was able to block attack, now i cant block easy attack.
    Stab and overhead pass easily trough the shield. Sometime I saw LMB spammer hit me without problem with my shield raised

• Shields have always been like this (ever since release), you need to turn a LOT more when people are in hugging distance, and I agree, it’s annoying and makes the shield feel unreliable.

I must say this is silly that the distance between fighters means very little in this game. My idea would be to make hitboxes of the shields as they are presented in game by textures. To offset their size you could slow down mouse sensitivity to stimulate weight of the shield (the bigger, the slower to turn around with it), similarly slowing down sensitivity for heavier weapons.

The fact is you can easily beat shield-bearer by kicking him when he’s too focused on the defense and some weapons (like axes) are excellent for making overheads (compare swords to axes in their design) as they can bypass the top of the where other weapons can’t. Blunt weapons can make up for this with dealing more damage to stamina of the shield-bearer. I strongly disagree with “blocking the tip of the enemy’s weapon” in case of the swords. You can’t hit shield user with a sword by making an overhead attack. Aim at his feets instead (smaller shields) or move around, trying to use the fact that shield-bearer will have his sensivity lowered while having his shield equipped.

Just a couple of ideas on my part. I am more in a favour of balancing the game by mouse sensitivity, mostly due to how some of the in-game mechanics are used (incorrectly, in my opinion, resulting in a silly outcomes) because of the people being able to set their mouse sensitivity at a whim.