Broadsword?

• This game looks absolutely amazing, and I can’t wait to play it. I was checking out the weapon list and i’m really impressed by what historic weapon options you have to offer. On thing that threw me off is the “Broadsword”. Amongst all of the mostly accurate weaponry (besides double-headed axe), the name broadsword isn’t accurate. It was only used to describe non-rapier renaissance swords by historians in the Victorian era as far as I know. A more apt name would be an Arming Sword, which was the type of standard one-handed sword used during the Middle ages. I don’t know if your focusing on having strict historic accuracy or not, but if you are, then I’m pretty baffled by the inclusion of the Boradsword as the weapon’s name.

• I don’t think that 100% accurate naming of weapons is of great importance, to be honest. You see, the developers have stated that the game is going to be ‘Hollywood realistic’, which means that it should feel authentic to the non-expert. That basically comes down to no magic or dwarves or flying horses, so that someone not knowledgable on the subject of Western medieval martial history could perceive it as realistic without the game being constrained by the bounds of actual historical accuracy. I used to be somewhat sceptical of that approach, but seeing how awesome Chivalry has become really convinced me that this works very well.

I’m not claiming to be an expert either, but afaik there are larger inaccuracies in the game than calling an arming sword a broadsword. As you already mentioned, the very existance of the double headed axe is one, but most of them are anachronisms: I’m fairly sure the Zweihänder never co-existed with the Viking Age-style “Norse sword” from the game’s arsenal. I used to care about that sort of thing, but all things considered these kind of inaccuracies are actually good for gameplay because they add variety. Also, too much realism would greatly diminish the distinction between weapons: even though a Viking Era sword looks quite different from a late Medieval arming sword, the difference in their performance is almost negligible IRL; the game may, however, exaggerate their differences so that they do feel distinct, despite their similarity IRL.

In that context, I believe ‘broadsword’ is an adequate term to describe that sword. There are even a few reasons why one might prefer that over ‘arming sword’: Firstly, more people are familiar with the term ‘broadsword’ than with ‘arming sword’, even though they don’t know the exact meaning of the word. Secondly, ‘broadsword’ is more descriptive: ‘arming sword’ probably doesn’t mean anything to most people, whereas broadsword is easy to remember because it contrasts with the terms ‘shortsword’ and ‘longsword’.

Of course, I don’t know whether this was a conscious choice by the developers or just something they didn’t look up. It’s more likely that it’s the former, otherwise I’d agree with you ;). But the fact that the ‘Dane Axe’ is a onehanded axe in the game has kind of convinced me that they care more about giving every weapon a unique-sounding and cool name than about historical accuracy.

• TheNarrator, you have become moderator too ? Like Slygoat ? I am actually happy about that, good moderators and moderate people are always needed !

On topic,
    Calling such a sword a broadsword might be an anachronism, but then the only way not to have any would be to speak old English or old French and not employ words that had not been invented before the late middle-ages (that actually makes a lot). But I actually have no problem with this name, as it makes the weapon’s differences stand out from the ten other swords there is.

• @Jihell:

TheNarrator, you have become moderator too ? Like Slygoat ? I am actually happy about that, good moderators and moderate people are always needed !

Thanks :). There’s five moderators now, I believe: BobT36, Scorp, King, SlyGoat and I.

• I would say it’s labeled as a broadsword for the same reason the light infantry class is labeled a man-at-arms. People don’t necessarily know or need to know the exact definition - it’s terminology they know and are familiar/comfortable with. Arming Sword sounds awkward even if it’s accurate. I think Norse Sword does too, but the developers rejected my suggestion of calling it SlyGoat’s Deadly Pokesword.

• @SlyGoat:

I would say it’s labeled as a broadsword for the same reason the light infantry class is labeled a man-at-arms. People don’t necessarily know or need to know the exact definition - it’s terminology they know and are familiar/comfortable with. Arming Sword sounds awkward even if it’s accurate. I think Norse Sword does too, but the developers rejected my suggestion of calling it SlyGoat’s Deadly Pokesword.

haha why would they reject such a great name xD

• @SlyGoat:

I would say it’s labeled as a broadsword for the same reason the light infantry class is labeled a man-at-arms. People don’t necessarily know or need to know the exact definition - it’s terminology they know and are familiar/comfortable with. Arming Sword sounds awkward even if it’s accurate. I think Norse Sword does too, but the developers rejected my suggestion of calling it SlyGoat’s Deadly Pokesword.

Seriously ?
    I don’t understand either…
    Maybe ask for “SlyGoats Holy Deadly Pokesword of Doom”, that should bring enough awsemoness to the name, so they can’t refuse it again !