D-I-S-A-P-P-O-I-N-T-E-D

1. Performance is very bad.

2. Graphic design is infantile: concerning to warriors, proportions, animations, and maps. We are in 2013. Immersion is totally gone away.

3. Some games have poor design, but playing with Nvidia 3D Vision may be interesting because improves immersion A LOT…, but Chivalry has BIG problems with Nvidia 3D Vision (besides the low performance) in terms of shadows, water, etc. Not fixed yet. No hope for it as it is related to the engine (although other UDK games are well supported).

4. None of that important issues have been improved in the last patch. I do not see the end of the tunnel.

The result is that I can’t play this game for more than 5 minutes because I get bored and I feel nothing. I can’t stand the animations of those “toy-warriors”, and the design of maps is colorfull but nothing close to a real scenario. I’m looking forward to loving this game, but I can’t.

• @kdaber:

1. Performance is very bad.

Turn your settings further down. It’s going to look bad, but it’ll run better.

@kdaber:

1. Graphic design is infantile: concerning to warriors, proportions, animations, and maps. We are in 2013. Immersion is totally gone away.

It’s not full realism and it’s a small development team. If this bothers you, turn your graphics and sound up to full; but don’t come back complaining about performance. Calling the graphic design infantile is a pretty nasty insult considering that there are more polished, triple-A title games that have come out with graphics comparable to this. Maybe we should just go back to pseudo-3D games like Doom and Duke Nukem 3D. :P

@kdaber:

1. Some games have poor design, but playing with Nvidia 3D Vision may be interesting because improves immersion A LOT…, but Chivalry has BIG problems with Nvidia 3D Vision (besides the low performance) in terms of shadows, water, etc. Not fixed yet. No hope for it as it is related to the engine (although other UDK games are well supported).

With the other problems and bugs they have, I’m sure 3D Vision is pretty low on their list of things to be working on. It’s only been a month or few since the game has been out, just have some patience.

@kdaber:

1. None of that important issues have been improved in the last patch. I do not see the end of the tunnel.

There were many, I’m not sure if you noticed. Some still linger, yes, but the bulk were fixed. The biggest nightmare right now is the server browser; which is a relic of UT3’s engine and won’t be easily tackled anytime soon.

@kdaber:

The result is that I can’t play this game for more than 5 minutes because I get bored and I feel nothing. I can’t stand the animations of those “toy-warriors”, and the design of maps is colorfull but nothing close to a real scenario. I’m looking forward to loving this game, but I can’t.

Well, you might want to find something else then. If this game isn’t up to your standards and you absolutely can’t get immersed without a high-framerate and your 3D Vision; it’s time to look elsewhere. I can’t speak for the developers, but I really can’t imagine them looking at comments like this and going “Alright, screw everything, let’s fix exactly what this guy said and totally revamp our art assets because he isn’t happy.”

• Sorry for the scary title, and sorry if I offended when I said that the graphic design looks infantile, maybe it is not the best word, but those toy-warriors don’t look too much adult, at least for me, and neither the colorful scenarios, and that is my opinion. I could be writting about the good things I see in the game, but I prefer to write about what is not good in a forum where people write expecting fixes. Also it is a way to alert about something I consider not good for the game.

Of course I can turn down details to improve fps, but that is not the solution. I play other games at full without problem, and these graphics should not be such demanding.

I don’t mind if there are triple A games (I guess what it is) with poor graphics, I usually play only a few games and I am used to good graphics and good performance, and that is what I expect of any game, triple A or triple Z. One thing is the final product itself and other thing is the merit of the people involved (I don’t know why you talk about them), and I am not judging the quality of anybody, but only the game. When I read a review of a game I expect an objective point of view of the game, without the influence of the fly of butterflies.

Of course if the game has important bugs they have to be the priority, rather than fixing 3D things. But this is a technical support forum and I write about something that needs support, even knowing that there won’t be probably a fix about it. If the game had not bugs the patches would probably be focused on other things like this.

And of course, I could play other games (in fact that is what I do when I feel like playing a game), but I bought this, and even not being what I expected it would be good enough for me with some fixes.

• lol @ fanboys defending their game when the game doesn’t even run for half of us… This game is optimized worse than GTA4.

• This game is not for you, buddy.

The game-play is brilliant, its hard to master - but when you do, there is no better feeling than taking someone’s head in one on one. You are looking for the wrong things in the wrong game.

I spent countless hours playing CS and Quake 2/3, and could give less crap about immersion and graphics, and those games were super fun.

Now, why don’t you play some Skyrim? I heard they have swords there too and your ass is not being handed back to you that often.

• Holy balls, you’re acting like someone is forcing you to play! If you don’t like the game maybe it just isn’t for you? I don’t much like the sims but I don’t fly off the handle at the devs!

… that’s a lie, I freakin’ love the sims.

• I really can’t understand what is the problem. This is a technical support forum, and I have written about technical problems like low performance (point 1) and unsupported hardware, that aparently concerns only to me (point 3).

Ok, I have written also my opnion about design, but I think this is the right place to include that oppinion, and I have written it with the “illusion” that some people will work and improve animations, proportions, and design. Maybe it would be a great idea to hire an artist to make some changes (I have no idea, maybe they have already one).

I have already excused for the scary tittle (that I can’t change) and for the expresion “infantile design”. After that “Smoket” wrote about fanboys…, and I’m not to say anything about it. Sometimes it seems like if it is forbiden to write your opinion if it is not according with the opinion of other people.

I omited in this thread a lot of things I could include, to not extend too much it. I like medieval games and I have M&B Warband, War of the Roses and Chivalry, and I didn’t write my opinion about comparisons. I only have to say that I spent a lot of time playing Warband for some years without getting ever bored, and I still play it sometimes and I have fun. Now I play mainly War of the Roses for many reasons, and the fun I had with Warband is what I have now with WotR, and that game is getting better and better with patches.

I wish to say the same of Chivalry, but I can’t. I expect Chivalry to grow up with time and be better and better…, and I wish I forgot Warband and WotR to play only Chivalry…, but I don’t think it will happen.

• This sounds more like feedback, not Technical Support. If you would have left your Hardware Specs, then we could look at why you are getting poor performance. Also I saw somewhere that 3D while no officially supported for this game, did work. Again, the hardware you are using would help.

• @ChuckingIt:

This sounds more like feedback, not Technical Support. If you would have left your Hardware Specs, then we could look at why you are getting poor performance. Also I saw somewhere that 3D while no officially supported for this game, did work. Again, the hardware you are using would help.

dx dialog and log files would help.

• Ok, I have “standard” and good hardware, I think:

• Asus P6X58D-E mobo.
    • Intel i7 930 @ 4gz.
    • Nvidia GTX 660 TI OC.
    • Windows 7 64 bits.

When I complain about performance I don’t say that I can not play. With my hardware I can play most of maps without problems, but not as smooth as they should. And when I try to play in 3D (I don’t usually do it because visual problems) the framerate is totally not acceptable. I have to make a comparison here, since both competitors, Warband (super-smooth in 3D) and WotR (good in 3D) let me play in 3D.

Chivalry is not officially supported by Nvidia as a 3D game, but many other games work good even not being supported officialy. I have also read elsewhere that this game “works” in 3D, but it “works” only if you disable shadows totally, and even in that case the water renders wrong, and HUD things present problems. So it “works” but it is not acceptable in any case, and there is no point on playing 3D with this game.

I have to say here that M&B Warband (it is impossible not to make a comparison) is visually perfect in 3D, and War of the Roses, even alerting Nvidia that it is not good in 3D, in fact renders quite good (only alt-tab and shadows render good), with the only “big problem” of HUD elements.