Damage Reduction Mechanics

• Are any of these in place?

I know they have location multipliers but anything like this?

I find it incredibly weak that weapons function at maximum damage throughout the entire swing.

Meaning if one you were to thrust your weapon as a stab move, the damage at the end of the stab shouldn’t be nearly as damaging as the initial thrusting motion.

Same with general weapon swings/slashes, I should not be able to receive full damage from a swing at the end of the swing when most of the momentum is lost. It just doesn’t make sense.

Nor should I receive maximum damage on a windup swing that somehow hits me when I am looking at the swingers back (because the weapon windup goes that far behind them). At that point there is hardly any momentum on the weapon to do much damage.

If you were to hold out a sharp weapon and I ran into it, the damage would not be close to if you had added a thrust to the action, but that isn’t the case in this game.

IMO that’s something that should be added.

It’s annoying as hell to “run into” a spammer who’s swing somehow hit you because he managed to spin around just enough so the last .1 second of swing time is able to hit you for FULL damage…

All the timing in the world can’t solve that.

I also suggested damage reduction on hit a little bit ago but that got denied by the devs for some odd reason.

As if it makes sense that you can swing through 5 people in 1 swing and the last person hit still receives as much damage as the first. Psh lol.

• I find it incredibly weak that weapons function at maximum damage throughout the entire swing.

I agree with this completely. It’s absurd really. Getting beheaded by the pause at the apex of a wind-up when you’re flanking someone from behind, for instance, is ridiculous. Likewise, a close distance polearm, or other long weapon, without sufficient wind-up hitting for maximum damage is just as equally ridiculous.

• @Everchosen:

I find it incredibly weak that weapons function at maximum damage throughout the entire swing.

I agree with this completely. It’s absurd really. Getting beheaded by the pause at the apex of a wind-up when you’re flanking someone from behind, for instance, is ridiculous. Likewise, a close distance polearm, or other long weapon, without sufficient wind-up hitting for maximum damage is just as equally ridiculous.

I don’t think anyone would disagree with this.

• @Carverk:

Meaning if one you were to thrust your weapon as a stab move, the damage at the end of the stab shouldn’t be nearly as damaging as the initial thrusting motion.

Force + momentum would actually dictate that for many weapons the end of the strike is where the greater amount of damage is.

It’s the beginning of a strike that is always the weakest.

While I know it was done for “balance” reasons facehugging a spear would make it imposible to stab you, not easier.

The ability to hit immediately after windup ends is really catching on, you used to mostly see it on overhead ducking, and LMB now they are using it on the thrust with any weapons with good reach. Run in (with sprint) so the point of the weapon is obscured by 1st person view then thrust. Is it a feint is it an attack no way to tell.

Damage on the back swing is really starting to become an issue though.

Try dueling, if they miss the LMB swing many “skilled” players will just rotate back the opposite direction and still hit you.

• Damage reductions like you propose wouldn’t stop people from doing lookdown overheads or otherwise dragging their swings to get past defenses. Combat would be slowed down tremendously as players either deal less damage or use “normal” swings that are more predictable and easily parried. The inevitable outcome is that everyone starts feinting like crazy because it’s the easiest way to get past a parry without a damage penalty. Would you rather get used to parrying lookdown overheads and the likes or get killed by feints randomly with little for you to do about it other than feinting harder and faster?

@nsweetman:

Try dueling, if they miss the LMB swing many “skilled” players will just rotate back the opposite direction and still hit you.

That’s just what LMB does. Somewhat weak and slow, but safer because you can land it reliably even with low sensitivity and against dodgy enemies. This, too, is nothing but gameplay>realism.

• @Torrenz:

@nsweetman:

That’s just what LMB does. Somewhat weak and slow, but safer because you can land it reliably even with low sensitivity and against dodgy enemies. This, too, is nothing but gameplay>realism.

I must not have been clear enough.

If they swing left to right, and you dodge left out of the way, they can rotate to the left and still hit you even though the momentium of the attack is to the right. This allows a single swing to deal damage is 2 directions, LMB was design to attack in one direction which is why they implemented an alternate attack button.

• @The:

@Everchosen:

I don’t think anyone would disagree with this.

I do. Completely. Because it would completely destroy a person defending from a close-range man’s attack’s defense.

• @Hadron:

@Everchosen:

I do. Completely. Because it would completely destroy a person defending from a close-range man’s attack’s defense.

How so?

• @Carverk:

How so?

If the polearm doesn’t function at close range, once you close the gap, you can easily crush a Van before it could switch weapons.

It would have to be a give an take thing. They loose close range combat like a real polearm, but become static, i.e. players can’t just run through or dodge through them. But then that would open it up for a but of Vans just running around the map with their polearm out sticking everyone they sprint to.

Then again you could argue that if an Archer gts caught with his bow out he is screwed as well……

Maybe if you gave Vans better push back…I just don’t know, I think if it were removed it would be a hard thing to balance and keep the class viable with the polearm weapon.

Though it would reduce teamkills, greatly…:)

• @nsweetman:

I must not have been clear enough.

If they swing left to right, and you dodge left out of the way, they can rotate to the left and still hit you even though the momentium of the attack is to the right. This allows a single swing to deal damage is 2 directions, LMB was design to attack in one direction which is why they implemented an alternate attack button.

You would have to be somewhere behind the enemy by the time his attack released in order not to get hit immediately, and he then dragged left hard enough to counter the blade’s rightward motion and catch you behind him? He could’ve done it more easily with an overhead, or he could’ve spun in the opposite direction to cover a much wider arc and kill you without disrupting realism. Either way it’s legitimate and to his credit, though I find it more likely that he caught onto your ill-fated idea of dodging a horizontal swing into the direction it’s coming from and turned to the left while he was still winding up.

Just because they’re adding alt swings now doesn’t mean they always intended attacks to be strightly directional. Quite the opposite in fact, as there was always emphasis on “real-time swings” that you can influence whenever you want, so weapons behave more like conical lightsabers that activate during release. Alt swings just change the default trajectory for you to manipulate.

I feel damage reductions would be out of place in Chivalry. So your attack failed to finish this guy because he inadvertently scuttled forward by a hair’s length and you hit him 0.01 seconds too early, and his next swing kills you because he just happened to get the perfect timing on his overhead without the random movement from either of you disaligning it. That’s a lot of unnecessary depth players can hardly control and will occasionally get screwed over by.

• Mount & Blade, a similar multiplayer FPS medieval fighting game, has movement based swing momentum. It takes into account character movement, both the attacker and defender, and weapon movement, so a character moving forward with a thrust does more damage than a character backpedaling, and an attack at the being of a swing does less damage than at the end.

I honestly found it to be a bit unwieldy because there were so many factors affecting how much damage was dealt. I think Chivalry does a pretty good job of balancing gameplay and realism. However if you are interested in more realism you should try M&B:WB and see how you like it.

• I already posted this idea in the Ideas forum, but my thought is that the swing arc should do different amounts of damage at different points in the swing. So for example, the first 25% of the swing does 80% of max damage. The next 20% does 100%, the middle 10% does 110%, then back to 100, then 80.

But it’s also a good point to make with swing direction. A slash from right to left, but maybe the enemy got around it on your right, you shouldn’t be able to turn quickly and hit the enemy on the back side of your slash and do any damage.