Votekicking is obsolete and unnecessary

• In a game like this, votekicking being implemented as any sort of solution to problem players is really decade-old logic. There are better ways to achieve the result you’re looking for without putting that power into the hands of characteristically irrational players who, more often than not, just manage to ruin matches more than anything else.

Team damage happens to the best of us. Granted some LMB spamming Vangaurds, and the like, are much more prone to causing it. But even among those of us who do make an active and mindful effort to avoid it, it can still happen from time to time. Sometimes it even results in an accidental death. Other times, for many, it is not so much accidental as it is player negligence; or even purposeful.

Solution:

Calculate the team damage, either as a whole, or from life-to-life, and adjust respawn timers accordingly. The more team damage caused, the longer the respawn wait. If the team damage was accidental, and minimal, the respawn timer won’t be very long, and the player will likely try to avoid it. If the team damage was purposeful, or based on negligence, the player is less likely to stay in the match and wait their extended duration, or they are more likely to avoid future team damage due to the extended respawn penalty. Hitting multiple team members will cause large amounts of team damage, likewise hitting a single team member to death will also cause large amounts of team damage.

• @Everchosen:

Solution:

Calculate the team damage, either as a whole, or from life-to-life, and adjust respawn timers accordingly. The more team damage caused, the longer the respawn wait. If the team damage was accidental, and minimal, the respawn timer won’t be very long, and the player will likely try to avoid it. If the team damage was purposeful, or based on negligence, the player is less likely to stay in the match and wait their extended duration, or they are more likely to avoid future team damage due to the extended respawn penalty. Hitting multiple team members will cause large amounts of team damage, likewise hitting a single team member to death will also cause large amounts of team damage.

So your solution to a detrimental teammate is to make them even more detrimental by having them doing nothing more? It seems to me kicking the moron and getting a potentially better teammate would be the optimal solution.

• Make it back to a console command.

It wasn’t abused back then. And was still effective as at least one person knew about it.

• @That:

So your solution to a detrimental teammate is to make them even more detrimental by having them doing nothing more? It seems to me kicking the moron and getting a potentially better teammate would be the optimal solution.

Wait, how can not having a detrimental teammate in action be detrimental? You can’t have it both ways. If they are as detrimental as you claim, then not having them by way of high respawn time would be beneficial, not detrimental. Your argument makes no sense.

And when they do respawn, assuming they do not leave the match, they will have more incentive not to cause any further team damage.

In any case, vote-kicking isn’t a good solution due to how often and how easily it is abused. This is clearly apparent by even a cursory look through these forums, if not also in-game experience.

• @Everchosen:

@That:

Wait, how can not having a detrimental teammate in action be detrimental? You can’t have it both ways. If they are as detrimental as you claim, then not having them by way of high respawn time would be beneficial, not detrimental. Your argument makes no sense.

And when they do respawn, assuming they do not leave the match, they will have more incentive not to cause any further team damage.

In any case, vote-kicking isn’t a good solution due to how often and how easily it is abused. This is clearly apparent by even a cursory look through these forums, if not also in-game experience.

Simply because having a temmate on the legthened respawn time, only serves to penalie the team for a single players action but having less people on the field.

While I have seen people attempt to abuse vote kick, my exterience has been more times than not that its the players own team that is trying to get them removed, for suspected hacking or excessive team killing. I say Kudos to them, and support those kicks. Even with the changes to vote kick I still look for a reason, just in case before I vote.

• People who think votekick isn’t needed obviously haven’t met enough trolls.

• @Anonymoose:

People who think votekick isn’t needed obviously haven’t met enough trolls.

Or some random dude who decides to start hitting every teammember he can see…

• Votekick can get annoying, especially considering a lot of people tend to just assume the person did something to warrant being kicked when they really haven’t, but I’d rather have votekick and all the problems it brings with it than not have it at all. If they didn’t have teamkill in this game, I would agree that they shouldn’t have a votekick; however, the game does have teamkill and doesn’t even have servers that get rid of this feature, so…

• @Everchosen:

In a game like this, votekicking being implemented as any sort of solution to problem players is really decade-old logic. There are better ways to achieve the result you’re looking for without putting that power into the hands of characteristically irrational players who, more often than not, just manage to ruin matches more than anything else.

Team damage happens to the best of us. Granted some LMB spamming Vangaurds, and the like, are much more prone to causing it. But even among those of us who do make an active and mindful effort to avoid it, it can still happen from time to time. Sometimes it even results in an accidental death. Other times, for many, it is not so much accidental as it is player negligence; or even purposeful.

Solution:

Problem is that now you’ll have a moron waiting in spawn, filling up a slot for your team, leaving your team out numbered during that time…. while even when they are playing, they’re not helping anything.

And that benefits everybody, how?

And Vote Kicks are not always against TK’ing players or players who suck… in Duel matches, often times you will end up with 2 or more players at the end of the match, just sitting around, not fighting one another, or running around in circles, avoiding any sort of fight… and while these two or more clowns do this, they’re wasting every other player’s time (up to 30 other players are affected)

So you either warn them to get their sh*t together or get a vote kick (which isn’t easy anymore cuz it’s no longer in the menu) or you have people quickly emptying the server because they don’t want to waste their time.

I’m for the vote kick in those situations.

Other times in other matches, if you can’t vote kick a guy off the server because too many people said no, some players will just go after that player and keep attacking / TK’ing him… again, leaving your team out numbered against the real enemy and objectives not being done properly.

Kick them off so some real players can join.

• Chivalry is the only multiplayer game I’ve played in the last 5 years that came with a built-in votekick system. My personal opinion is that giving players the freedom to kick people as they wish is a bad idea simply because more people abuse it than use it legitimately. I’d place a bet the number of illegitimate kicks is 100 or more times higher than the number of legitimate ones… if only it were theoretically possible to determine this (obviously it’s impossible). Honestly, I personally prefer automated systems because they are not discriminatory; if you idle for 60 seconds, you get kicked on the spot, if you TK 3 times in a row, you get removed (obviously they are a lot more complex than this though). When it comes to ‘trolling’, players have, or should have the ability to mute/ignore others with both voice and text, and it goes without saying cheats or hacks should be dealt with quickly and efficiently to ensure they are quashed, rather than relying primarily on the vote system. We simply shouldn’t be having people coming on the forum claiming they have been wrongfully kicked; the game should be ‘taking care of issues itself’ essentially, rather than putting it in the hands of immature people, or rather, people that don’t know the facts and can’t make a sound judgement (referring to allowing anyone to just hit ‘yes’ every time), or at least that’s my opinion.

• Its weird how many topics like this or about this are posted. I’ve personally never encountered problems with this even tho my sword isn’t racist (does not distinguish colors from each other :P ). I try to apologize every time I do TK… so maybe that helps.

Maybe its just that I’m not often on top of the scoreboard so no one wants me kicked :D

What im trying to say is i like the current system and imo it works fine.

• I’m starting to see the vk system abused more and more… I rarely see it kick people who deserve it and people who don’t deserve it get kicked a shitload. Why can’t people just quit being retarded and use the tools given to use properly? Ugh…

• Some guy tried to kick a player simply for being bad (he was rank 4) earlier. The whole server I was on laughed at him, virtually unanimously voted it down, and then virtually unanimously kicked the guy who started the first vote for being a prick.

Votekicking rules.

• @Dick:

Some guy tried to kick a player simply for being bad (he was rank 4) earlier. The whole server I was on laughed at him, virtually unanimously voted it down, and then virtually unanimously kicked the guy who started the first vote for being a prick.

Votekicking rules.

This is a great example of when it works properly! I would have loved to be in that game!

• @Slaughtervomit:

@Dick:

Some guy tried to kick a player simply for being bad (he was rank 4) earlier. The whole server I was on laughed at him, virtually unanimously voted it down, and then virtually unanimously kicked the guy who started the first vote for being a prick.

Votekicking rules.

This is a great example of when it works properly! I would have loved to be in that game!

Few and far between in my experience.

• vk is needed but needs to only but needs a cool down

• @treetops422:

vk is needed but needs to only but needs a cool down

There is a cooldown. Like 60 seconds I believe.

• @Slaughtervomit:

I’m starting to see the vk system abused more and more… I rarely see it kick people who deserve it and people who don’t deserve it get kicked a shitload. Why can’t people just quit being retarded and use the tools given to use properly? Ugh…

What’s really needed are actual owners and admins of servers actually being on their servers from time to time to keep an eye on things… even if they get a number of friends to be admins when they’re not around whom they can trust to make a sound judgement and care about the server.

If admins and server owners actually went on their servers from time to time to keep an eye on things and actually show players that they do exist and that they are being watched… people might actually smart’n the hell up and vote kick systems wouldn’t be needed.

I’m all for automated vote kick systems personally, but even those don’t cover every possible situation… like people in duels in the final matches who drag things out to waste everybody else’s time… that’s annoying as hell.

• Console command.

Problem solved.