More Helmets

• I understand the developers already have a lot on the table, but there is one thing I’m hoping there is one thing that won’t get entirely neglected: Helmets

Currently, helmets only signify if someone has unlocked all the weapons or not. Yet, this in and of itself is a very useful identifying tool on the battlefield. Without even glancing at rank or the scoreboard, you instantly know that, at least, that individual has played long enough to unlock all the weapons for said class. It won’t win a war, but it’s cool information.

Our selection right now is limited, and that’s no real issue considering the age of the game. However, I’m hoping in the future, we can have access to additional helmets based on a variety of other qualifications. Thus, I’m going to list a few things I think could be used as helmet qualifiers and maybe what the helmets are.

Achievements

All Weapons Unlocked: All Class
    This would be a second Veteran Helmet, maybe aptly named “Veteran Helmet 2.” These would be, visually, very similar to the other Veteran Helmets with slight differences; such as the Mason Archer’s facemask unconnected, or the visor of the Agatha Man-at-Arms in the down position.

Team Support Helmet: All Class, Team Based
    These would be helmets for the achievements pertaining to playing as either Agatha/Mason for 20+ hours. The design is totally left to the discretion of the development team.

King of Kings/Similar Achievement for Mason’s King: Knight Only
    This helmet would have a slight crown-like pattern or band near the top, with gold trim. This is for surviving as the king on either map for 10+ minutes.

I am the Wall: Any Class
    This helmet, for blocking 1000 times successfully, would have a design more similar to fencing/dueling helmets. This would be most appropriate for the Knight, as a heavily rounded visor with many small holes in it. Similar to a design like this:

Fists of Fury: All Class
    For 100 fist kills, this would allow you to play helmet-less. Maybe there could be warpaint or cloth, but the purpose is to have no helmet at all.

Fire Starter: Man-At-Arms
    For 20 Oil Pot kills, this would be a hood and mantle of thick leather, or something akin to it that could visually say “Arsonist” or “Devious”

Five-Star Archer: Archer
    A sallet or similar visored helmet for archers who score ten headshots in a single match.

(Unnamed Achievement): Vanguard
    Though there is no achievement yet for Vanguard alone (one could be 50 kills with the charge attack), said Vanguard could be rewarded with a traditional jousting helmet - the old frogmouth design.

My own input ends here, but some other suggestions for places to give out helmets:

Ranks: (25 and 50?)
    Prize Give-Aways
    Community Contests
    Community Supporters
    Official Tournament Winners (A winged/feathered Tourney Helm for Vanguard/Knight?)

A note: I am a veteran of Team Fortress 2, I saw the rise and fall (in my opinion) of that game with the excess of wackiness, art destruction and excess. I have no desire to see that happen to my beloved Chivalry, but a little more in the way of helmets, especially if handled professionally and with the same wonderful designs we saw for the first set, wouldn’t hurt anyone.

• yea… that pretty good idea! more helmets and possibility to custom your character

• As long as there are no microtransactions to buy helmets im okay with it.

Good thread Doom.

• I think this would be a great idea and a significant identifier to those who had played for quite a while. Also other kinds of aesthetic options would be quite nice as well. :D

• Yes very nice helmet ideas. :D

• I like this.

Some ideas for knight helmets:

http://pwnageguyxd.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=24#/d5ozsud

• Helmets would also help recognize people on the battle field without the need to them being close and hovering your cross-hairs over them and, I only seem to do well once I’m satisfied my Character looks epic enough.

• Oh, I forgot to mention, it would be very nice if we got a small graphic or 3D-Model preview of our helmets in the menu. I didn’t even really know what the Veteran Helmets were until I looked them up; I just put them all on as quickly as possible. :P

• I wouldn’t mind paying for “only for look” helmet, since it support the devs and doesn’t break the gameplay.

• Good ideas and I, like many others would pay for cosmetic helmets/banners as well.

• I agree with more helmet types, would be awesome! Although now I’d rather have body armour variants with different tabards and coat of arms etc (Like as seen in Free-for-all). Would be a nice level of variation and uniqueness to go along with the helmets!

• @Scorp:

I agree with more helmet types, would be awesome! Although now I’d rather have body armour variants with different tabards and coat of arms etc (Like as seen in Free-for-all). Would be a nice level of variation and uniqueness to go along with the helmets!

As long as it’s kept clean and in-style, I really don’t mind at all. I debating about mentioning custom coat-of-arms for players to add in manually, but it leaves too much room for exploitation with NSFW and offensive images. Still, Helmets and slight armor variations would be nice. Isn’t the UT engine pretty good at letting people customize specific body groups?

• I’m down for more helmets.

Just don’t do what Team Fortress 2 did. Helmets should be earned, not bought. I want to pay the iron price for helmets, not the gold price.

• These are great ideas and as Mishura said they should only be obtained through the iron price and never the gold price.

All I really want to add is that I hope torn Banner don’t do what Relic did with Space Marine and that further customization doesn’t come out as armour sets that clearly belong to separate outfits. What this leads to is you have 20 different armour outfits, and you either have 10 guys running around with the same outfit or you have a bunch of guys running around with mismatched pieces that clearly don’t work well together.

Don’t do the whole "this is the viking set, this is the battle-damaged set, this is the golden set, this is the roman set and you can mix and match but it’ll just look like this:

In short, don’t have pieces that clearly belong to a specific outfit, instead have a bunch of different pieces that would fit perfectly well in any combination.

EDIT: I think this is so crucial that I’m going to make a separate thread about it. I hope that’s okay.

• How abou some helmet for kight when u splasched 50 heads with the maul like a fully closed helmet with many edges and blood spiled over ur head and armor.

• @Doom454:

@Scorp:

I agree with more helmet types, would be awesome! Although now I’d rather have body armour variants with different tabards and coat of arms etc (Like as seen in Free-for-all). Would be a nice level of variation and uniqueness to go along with the helmets!

As long as it’s kept clean and in-style, I really don’t mind at all. I debating about mentioning custom coat-of-arms for players to add in manually, but it leaves too much room for exploitation with NSFW and offensive images. Still, Helmets and slight armor variations would be nice. Isn’t the UT engine pretty good at letting people customize specific body groups?

Yes definitely agree, would have too maintain the same theme for the faction. I can assure the custom emblem idea has been talked upon on more than 1 occasion, will eventually just have to see what happens there.

Everything about the masons represent intimidation, evil and malice I’d passionately love to see some war masks if it fitted in the theme nicely. I.e:

http://pinterest.com/pin/414823815647156577/

Yes the default mason knight helmet consists of a mail face mask, but something further intimidating. Beautiful.