My take on DISARMING as an addition.

• First of all, hello and well met gentlemen.

I have been lurking for a bit but even if I’m not really a forum person, I have this suggestion on the back of my head that I thought I would share.

I have done a quick forum search on the topic of introducing a disarm function to Chivalry, an addition I would love were it only to give a real use to most secondary weapons and add flavour to the game.
    What I found was suggestions I didn’t really approve, on introducing a % chance of losing your weapon on hit, or something like dropping your sword when you walk into the fire.

My proposal takes into account that chivalry should always remain a skill based game no matter what so no amount of percentage based stuff is acceptable, and one should not suffer such a dire consequence as being disarmed when hit by something as spammable and abusable as a fire pot.

Therefore, that’s what I would like:
    BLOCKING WHEN YOUR STAMINA IS DEPLETED MAKES YOU DROP YOUR WEAPON.

Let me elaborate on this:
    Correct me if I’m wrong, but losing all stamina is rarely ever a problem in fights, provided you don’t just spam and fight wisely. So, it almost never occurs to me to having to block when my stamina is gone, but when I do, all I suffer from is slight flinching. I think there should be a harsher penalty for wasting your stamina, which would also give the game more strategy - let’s say you got disarmed: what you could do is:

1. whip out your secondary (which could be non-disarmable. I’m thinking non disarmable to give a boost to secondaries and not put archers at too much of a disadvantage, but that’s debatable)
    2. try and make a rush for your weapon that should not be too far from you.

Which brings me to the second point: picking up weapons left by others, just like M&B. How cool would that be? But that’s for another day. I just wish to hear some opinions on my disarm suggestion for now.

• Dont you get dazed when blocking out of stamina? Shouldnt that be enough punishment?
    And picking up other peoples weapons would cause op combinations like maa with maul and such things. But if you limit the pickup to your class then why have it in the first place?
    I dont really see a way that could implement disarming without destroying the skill-based nature of this game.

• Daze is fine. this would ruin duels.

• More choices make for a more skilled game imo. Now being dazed is incredibly dangerous but if you play smart you can live with no stamina if you position yourself so that a block launches you away from the opponent.

• @Helgeran:

More choices make for a more skilled game imo. Now being dazed is incredibly dangerous but if you play smart you can live with no stamina if you position yourself so that a block launches you away from the opponent.

Disarming wouldn’t make for a more in-depth gameplay of skill, it would just end the matches more prematurely, the first one to get disarmed would lose since you can’t block swords with fists.

• @Helgeran:

More choices make for a more skilled game imo. Now being dazed is incredibly dangerous but if you play smart you can live with no stamina if you position yourself so that a block launches you away from the opponent.

This is pretty much what I had in mind. From what I have seen being dazed does not equal taking a hit 100% of the times especially if your opponent has a slow weapon. After being disarmed you would have that split second to decide if you want to risk taking a hit and swap to secondary, or try and move out of the way (the opponent will have a shorter recovery time that’s true, but he will still flinch a bit since his blow got parried). Ducking would also be an option. In any case, the fight is not necessarily over. Of course if you allowed your opponent to exhaust you it’s your mistake and you should get punished for it, especially because your stamina will refill very soon and the fight will be even again.

Also I’m assuming that running out of stamina does not happen so frequently when you fight (it doesn’t happen to me) so it would still not happen in every fight, but just in that one fight out of ten in which you messed up your moves and got exhausted.

• @Hitom:

Disarming wouldn’t make for a more in-depth gameplay of skill, it would just end the matches more prematurely, the first one to get disarmed would lose since you can’t block swords with fists.

That was my point, not to mention how incredibly frustrating it would be and how good it would make shield use. I guess you’d always have your sidearm.

• Disarming an opponent as an additional move: good idea to help players become more well rounded, they will NEED to learn to use their secondary weapon much more. Or picking up your OWN weapon which was forcefully knocked out of your hand(s).

Getting back only your weapon, not another players. Mind you others would not be able to knock it further away, just out of your hand(s). You would have to find the right time when to pick it up.

• I had the same idea while equipping my MAA for battle.

“Okay let’s see, Falchion, Throwing Knives……bleh, Saber I guess, I won’t use it.”

Just makes me wish that secondaries had an actual use, besides decorating your belt.

• @sangiu:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but losing all stamina is rarely ever a problem in fights, provided you don’t just spam and fight wisely.

It happens quite a lot, both to myself and to enemies. Being disarmed is too harsh of a punishment for out of stamina.

• I personally dont like the idea - its got good intentions and its good to bump ideas around, but I don’t think an addition like that would improve the gameplay of this game, and ultimately - rather than just the addition of new intricate features, the most important thing for any big changes like that is ‘does it tangibly improve the gameplay’.

Nada from me.

• Well now hold on a minute I realise some people are saying ‘that’s too harsh a punishment for being out of stamina’ or ‘it won’t improve the gameplay’ but actually I think these are both wrong.

Right now there is pretty much no penalty for running out of stamina. Because it’s impossible to tell exactly when it will happen, you can only take advantage of the daze if a) you have a really fast weapon and b) you react quickly enough. For a MAA there is absolutely NO PUNISHMENT AT ALL, since they regain 30 stamina when they run out and can use that to simply dodge away during daze.

Disarm is also a lot cooler than daze as a punishment.

As regards enhancing gameplay, I believe a higher punishment for running out of stamina would seriously decrease the amount of rash and mindless feinting we see in game right now.

Lastly - I know this will appeal to some - it will give fists a legitimate role to play in the game.

• Global Moderator

Disarming is already a feature in the game. It happens all the time.

• @lemonater47:

I don’t get it.

• @Bloodhead:

@lemonater47:

I don’t get it.

You take someone’s arm off.

• @SavageBeatings:

@Bloodhead:

@lemonater47:

I don’t get it.

Lordy lord that’s a bad joke.

• I actually think in an ideal world this would be a good thing, if it were a special move you could only do to someone when they were out of stamina. I’d also love to see grappling, pommel bashing, murder strikes, tripping, binding, shifting cuts etc.

I just don’t know how one would fit any new moves into the game, all my buttons are used up as it is.

So as an idea of something that could happen randomly if you parry with no stamina: personally no.

Also how would this work with shields? Would you drop your shield or your weapon?

• Global Moderator

@Bloodhead:

@SavageBeatings:

@Bloodhead:

I don’t get it.

Lordy lord that’s a bad joke.

Exactly why I thought people would get the joke.