Knight switches between 2h and shield+1h modes

• Hello,

I have a boring problem with the way knights can switch between the shield and the 2handed mode on their main weapon.

E.g., with a 2-h sword as main weapon, a 1-h sword as secondary, and the tower shield.
    With the main weapon on, I press 1, I go to shield mode, I press 1, I go 2-h again
    With the sec. weapon, I press 3 to enable or disable shield.

First of all, I would like to have the choice of a shield unused as default, else I have to 2-3-1 at each respawn to be able to take out only the secondary as a fast weapon when needed without having to take off the shield that slows me down.

Then, when I “store” the secondary weapon without a shield, and I return to the main weapon, when I press 1, I go to 1-h mode without a shield. There is no way to memorize the 2nd weapon without shield and use the first one with a shield when needed.

Example:

• With the default configuration, I meet a fast MaA and need my fat 1-h to calm him down. I must take out the 1-h and then take out the shield. I’m already dead.
    • If I “memorize” the 2nd weapon without a shield to avoid it, I cannot pull out the shield rapidly. Using my main weapon, I see an archer drawing his bow facing me. I press 1 to quickly take out my shield and…. There is no shield! I have to take the secondary weapon, and then press 3 and wait, wait, wait until I can defend me. And I am already dead…

Is there a way to enable to use the shield with the main as 1-h while the 2nd weapon is memorized without a shield?

• Well I agree with what you’re saying, you should have a way of saving whether you’re using the primary and secondary with or without your shield.

But just FYI you don’t need to hit 3 at all. Just hit 1 to pull out 2h, hit 1 again to go 1h+shield. Same goes for the secondary weapon but in reverse (1h+shield, then just 1h).

• Sword and board should be the best against MAA, but as it ends up its the worst. Take out your speedier secondary weapon for them. Silly interrupt and shield mechanics really make faster weapons the way to go.

• @Warhawk66:

Sword and board should be the best against MAA, but as it ends up its the worst. Take out your speedier secondary weapon for them. Silly interrupt and shield mechanics really make faster weapons the way to go.

I think that’s what OP was saying, the problem is that if you put a shield on as your 3rd option (almost necessary if you plan to fight archers), then when you select your secondary weapon it automatically goes to sword and board, which means you have to waste even more time putting the shield away to take advantage of parries.

• It is not the real problem.
    The real problem is, when I memorize the secondary without a shield (2, then 3 to take off shield, then 1 again to go to the main weapon), when I press 1 to use the main weapon with the shield, I get the main weapon 1-handed without a shield. The only way to use it with the shield would be to press 2, then 3 to memorize the light weapon with the shield, then go again to the primary and push 1 to use the shield.

Actually, there is no way to pull out the shield rapidly if I memorize the lighter weapon without a shield. The fastest way to have the shield is to take the secondary (memorized without a shield) and then go to shield mode.

And I tried every combination, with the primary I press ‘1’ to switch mode, ‘3’ does nothing. With the secondary weapon, ‘2’ has no effect, I have to press ‘3’ to activate/disactivate the shield.

• I don’t care about the shield in close combat, I don’t like it. I only want to be able to pull it out rapidly when I am facing an archer to get closer, and at the same time to be able to pull out rapidly the secondary weapon without a shield to fight those damn MaA ;)

• I see what you’re saying. I’ll try it out tonight.

• Little up

I met today in a duel another knight with the same setup (war sowrd + nordic sword + shield), he wondered how I could use my war sword 1 handed without a shield. I explained him the 2 -3 - 1 - 1 method, but it didn’t work for him. Could it be some kind of an exploit?

• @nightbringer57:

Little up

I met today in a duel another knight with the same setup (war sowrd + nordic sword + shield), he wondered how I could use my war sword 1 handed without a shield. I explained him the 2 -3 - 1 - 1 method, but it didn’t work for him. Could it be some kind of an exploit?

I have seen this bug out particularly in dual modes. Sometimes you cannot drop the shield, particularly usingbuttons 1 and 2, in those cases though 3 usually still works.

• Hmm I just accidentally did this in a game just with the sword of war. I put away my kite shield with morning star equipped then switched back to primary then pressed 1 again to switch to primary with shield but there was no shield.

It does seem that pressing 2-3-1-1 with that setup lets you use the sword of war 1 handed with no shield.

I do remember in the tutorial that the knight says you can use the 2h swords one-handed so long as it is with a shield, so I guess it is not intentional.

• I was also under the impression that 1h sword of war required a shield. So yeah, that sounds like a bug to me.