Feinting ruining the fun… :(

• they’re adding faster kicks next beta patch
    tapping F will probably do a fast kick, while holding F will probably do the stun kick

• @DSMatticus:

@kywild:

so that you can only feint during the first half of your windup or something so that 1h feints and stab feints become readable

This seems to be the most popular fix, though a flat .175 to .225s window is probably better than half of windup. Half of windup punishes 2her feints more than 1her feints, which makes little sense and seems to be the opposite of what needs to happen - 1her feints need to be much easier to see, and 2her feints only need to be slightly easier to see.

This.

It’s what I’m saying since a few months. That’s the solution that makes the most sense for the reason you just wrote.

• Feinting more then twice will certainly mean your attack will land.
    The feinting animation itself seems like its to few frames per second as well.
    This is a terrible issue for me as i need smooth animations to know what the opponents doing
    even if its a smooth misleading animation like the knights buckler stab when using the flail.
    Arming your average player with a way of always being able to press a button and ignore your parry pattern will just make most rank 30+'s go straight to a MAA so that they can simply dodge away from attacks and only come in striking distance when there on the attack.
    If they don’t like fidgets wormy, quick bullshit class’s that have always been dominant since AOC.
    Then like me they seem to choose a knight with a kite shield.

If they just gave the option of letting vanguards use shields i wouldn’t even bitch about feinting, id call chivalry shield warfare, and it would be my own personal joke.
    But seeing as the vanguards weapons are my favorite i find it very hard to believe this game
    rewards aggressive face hugging play style against feinter’s.
    That’s something no other game rewards, aggressive face hugging.

Just consider all the things that would be fun once you get rid of feints and then think about what you can do with the game speed.
    The possibilities are endless.
    But before i finish this post i must add, you notice how no one feints in boxing matches in this game? i guess it shows its just not worth the energy when the you dont have the distance.
    if feinting let you change attack direction without delaying your move then it would be serving its purpose.

Hardest attacks for me to block aren’t even feints, there actually well positioned left slashes and alt overheads when im unbalanced on the left or right side.
    So seeing as that was added last patch id love to see it actually become more of a prominent feature. If only they scrapped delaying your attack with a button and just turned it into change attack direction,(so it takes skill to delay your attack not just QQQ) Maybe only let the user change direction during windup. so when he releases he cant change mid swing.
    That’s my golden idea right there.
    As for blocking, if you fix feints no one will have a problem with needing block to replace parry.
    The games en thesis will be on directional blocking and awesome directional attacking to make the blocking part hard without thinking about how delayed this attack can get in one second.

• Thing would be different if we could block simply by doing parry on the blade and not on the tip of the weapon.
    That way we could actually SEE feints better than turning 1888 degree to block/parry a 1h.
    But it wont change, it was torn banners decision to ruin the game. With each patch they bring the more bugs there are

• Oh good another thread I can suggest disabling feints at the server level and then can get called an idiot because I happen to think feints aren’t fun. But that’s the forums - where bad game mechanics are religiously defended and good ideas die.
    Search found 3972 matches: feint

• @BillDoor:

Oh good another thread I can suggest disabling feints at the server level and then can get called an idiot because I happen to think feints aren’t fun. But that’s the forums - where bad game mechanics are religiously defended and good ideas die.

I don’t think anyone called you an idiot. They were simply concerned about making a split in the community. Personally I think it’s a great idea. If players can easily switch between the two games, we’ll quickly see which one is more balanced and fun. The only issue I can see coming from this is that people will expect the game to be balanced for both modes, which is completely unrealistic. Then again, balance in pub games is completely unrealistic.

• I will happily display a splash screen disclaimer on my feint free server.
    Maybe when the SDK comes out in 201?.

• Soul calibur is a great combat game with feints. They never question the concept, feinting will never kill.

• @BillDoor:

I will happily display a splash screen disclaimer on my feint free server.
    Maybe when the SDK comes out in 201?.

I’ll be there…

• @BillDoor:

Oh good another thread I can suggest disabling feints at the server level and then can get called an idiot because I happen to think feints aren’t fun. But that’s the forums - where bad game mechanics are religiously defended and good ideas die.

Crutchers need their crutch to crutch their way into what they think is winning when it’s just crutching =P

• I agree feinting is no skill bullshit, but when people make servers with ‘no feinting allowed’, I draw the line. Especially when they allow combo feinting.

Without feinting, people just go to the next bullshit thing, like 2h sword alt swings, holy water/mace, norse swords, hatchet, maa, archer, slow release weapons, and more. One of the shield’s biggest points was to counter feints, what happens to the shield after ‘removing feint’? Need a shield buff. The collateral is immense. Guys, it’s simple as, parry is the problem. Tweak parry. The problem is glaring from parry, feinting may be retarded, especially when you feint an alt swing from a 2h sword, but it’s really parry.

• @BillDoor:

The only thing that needs to die is feints and the bad players that use them as a crutch.

Anyone who thinks feints are balanced needs to experience an alt-attack from a fast 1H weapon which feints late-windup. Unless you’re on some serious performance-enhancing drugs there is no way you can “analyze the swing” when it is THAT fast. More often than not you WILL fall for it and you will get hit by the follow-up attack.

Rather than rely on proper footwork, good combo use, and swing direction - they just run into your face, leave you wide open with a feint, and then stab your noggin. It’s bullshit, the people defending it are bullshit, and so are the people using it.

• @Goden:

@BillDoor:

The only thing that needs to die is feints and the bad players that use them as a crutch.

Anyone who thinks feints are balanced needs to experience an alt-attack from a fast 1H weapon which feints late-windup. Unless you’re on some serious performance-enhancing drugs there is no way you can “analyze the swing” when it is THAT fast. More often than not you WILL fall for it and you will get hit by the follow-up attack.

Rather than rely on proper footwork, good combo use, and swing direction - they just run into your face, leave you wide open with a feint, and then stab your noggin. It’s bullshit, the people defending it are bullshit, and so are the people using it.

I’d like to know just how much you’ve played this game to be claiming that feints are just a bad player’s crutch.

• @NabsterHax:

@Goden:

@BillDoor:

I’d like to know just how much you’ve played this game to be claiming that feints are just a bad player’s crutch.

My Steam account currently says 208 hours and that’s not including my pre-release beta time.

Feinting is an easier way to score hits than proper footwork and combos. That isn’t my opinion that is a fact. A good chunk of the playerbase in this game will fall for feints with only a select few players in the upper-tier that can pick them out. Once you start using them to get easy hits it becomes part of your playstyle. If you took feints away from the players that heavily rely on them then I can guarantee you that they would have problems in combat because they would pretty much have to relearn proper combos, directional attacking, and footwork. Why? Because with feints you really don’t need any of that.

Even the better players fall for feints sometimes. They know how to avoid getting hit after falling for one by ducking or other maneuvers - but they still fell for the feint. Alt-attack feints with a fast 1H weapon don’t leave you much time to sit there and decipher the swing.

• better players fall for feints all the time. like i said the ones you can pick out are the real easy ones from distance… and the quick feints. We’ve learned to wait for the release of the attack before going for the parry. However, like i also said, there are really late feints right now… to where you wait until the proper time for a release (skilled players know each weapon, it’s ranges, windup/release/recovery times) and the problem is that players that use feints typically do very late feints in the windup, to where the only normal reaction is to parry.

The only counter to this really is to feint to parry your attacks against them. This way, either you will feint right along with them, and then parry their real attack, or you will both feint to parry and just look at each other parrying. Then rinse + repeat or start a new. Certain weapons have a longer windup, and when good players EXPECT the release to happen, that’s when the feint happens. You can’t judge those, i don’t care who you are… they are a complete guess if you do. No skill whatsoever involved.

Most duelers i know nowadays who go against heavy feinters know who the heavy feinters are, and therefore just attack attack attack. If they feint, we will hit them with an attack… that’s another way to counter heavy feinters is to just attack them and not parry. Sometimes it works, sometimes not… again this is total guesswork and not skill-based.

And don’t even get me started on fools that do like 3-4 feints before their actual attack…

I used to be a lot heavier on feints than i am, and i now attempt to not feint whatsoever… because i realized that while i can win fights easily, and quickly… and it feels cool… it doesn’t make you any better of a player. Like others have said… take away feints from some of the players out there… and they’re back to square one and don’t know how to deal with skilled tactics such as footwork, timing parry-counters, delays, drags, speed-ups, torso movement, range, kiting, etc etc etc.

There are still times to use feints though, even the absolute non-feinters will feint. But they only use them defensively as i do. Feint to parry… or feints just to keep the enemy on their toes and range type feints to get them to back off etc.

• I haven’t played for a good few weeks until recently (busy with work), so my skill level’s probably dropped off quite a bit, but as a fairly experienced player I must admit I’m starting to get a little cheesed off with the feinting mechanics.

I just had a game where I was killed persistently by a Vanguard just running around twitching about constantly like a suffocating fish. It just felt bullshit, frankly.

The most irritating thing would be that when fighting this guy he’d just run right up into your face and start doing the “epileptic fit” style feinting. 3-4 or even 5 feints, then a swing or stab that’d hit, repeat. Ridiculous.

A few times I killed him by just blindly attacking, but it was pure luck.

In real life, would you really stand 2 inches from someone with a polearm? No. Would you be able to swing it at light speed, then swing it in totally the opposite direction? No.

IMO feinting should require a longer wind-up time for large weapons. I don’t mind people doing 2-3 feints with a tiny dagger before stabbing me, but I doubt Hercules himself would have the muscles necessary to swing a bloody great big Bardiche around at a rate of 5 swings per second in order to feint someone’s block timing :x

Coupled with the way the guy kept spinning about, spamming LMB swings and the “instant teleporting bardiche” speed of the feints, and it just felt like I was playing some sort of crappy arcade knock-off of the game I remember, it was laughably poor.

• I think feinting should heavily reworked.
    As many people said, it doesn’t require skill. You press a key and you deceive the other player’s block timing, that’s all.
    What pisses me off is when people consider themselves better for using feints. Really, it’s like if you’re playing dota with N’aix or some faggot shit like that and you think you’re big time.
    The only reason I feint is to avoid hitting a teammate.

• @Frostgore:

I think feinting should heavily reworked.

Feints were nerfed so that there is now a window at the end of windup that disables feints, this window means there is a time frame where you can see whether or not the enemy will throw out a feint.

If you’re still having problems with feints there’s really not much else you can do but make a no feint mod and play that instead.

• Way to retro. I probably disavow anything I may have said earlier in this thread.

• @BB:

@Frostgore:

I think feinting should heavily reworked.

Feints were nerfed so that there is now a window at the end of windup that disables feints, this window means there is a time frame where you can see whether or not the enemy will throw out a feint.

If you’re still having problems with feints there’s really not much else you can do but make a no feint mod and play that instead.

Depends on the weapon though. Some are just too fast for that window to be readable (e.g claymore) and even if you attack someone at the same time they feint they can often still parry before your hit lands.