List of things that need to change.

• - Feinting: It’s a coin flipping mechanic right now . It should either go away, or be made much much shorter and impossible to do it twice in a row. A shorter feint would prevent its wild guessing aspect and a cooldown would prevent spamming.

- Kick/Bash: Its triggering time is way too long to really be of any use. It should be at least twice faster, but reduce its damage to 1, also a 5 second cooldown too.

- Actions queuing : Just remove this, If i right click, I want to parry right now, not when the previous action is finished, all it does right now is screwing you over. The game is supposed to be all about timing, or something along these lines, queuing just ruins your timing by executing actions you needed done years ago. Just remove the queuing system, except for comboing which still needs changes too. Make a combo attack only effective when ordered post-midswing.

- Fix 1H Reach : Now either it’s lag, either you guys extended some if not all 1 handed weapons reach. Either way, you should bring it back the way it was, it’s just ridiculous and it was fine before. Right now there’s next to no reason to pick a 2h over a 1h, and you can see it ingame, now everyones hang around with a Falchion or a warhammer and a tower shield.

- CTF: It’s fine but it needs some better information display. A message in the center of the screen when your team took the flag or when the enemy did, and when it’s captured. Also a simpler score display, like 1-3 on top of the scoreboard instead of those thousands nobody understands.

- Duel mode: Smarter matchmaking, try to make people who win a lot fight other people who wins a lot. It’s kinda disappointing to see the two first players in the end of a game being both 10-0 and 10-0.
    What’s even more disappointing is seeing 10 - 1 guy win and 9 - 0 guy doesn’t. I mean he’s undefeated and he’s beaten 10 - 1 guy. What should be done in my opinion is on one hand make a win count 1 point, and a loss count -3 points.

• These suggestions are moved to the Ideas and Suggestions Forum.

• @The:

- Feinting: It’s a coin flipping mechanic right now . It should either go away, or be made much much shorter and impossible to do it twice in a row. A shorter feint would prevent its wild guessing aspect and a cooldown would prevent spamming.

No. It is already related to stamina and when you run out of stamina, you can’t do it anymore. What’s more is that if someone keeps spamming it, then they’re easy to predict and all you have to do is drive something into them as they do so.

I like it just as it is.

- Kick/Bash: Its triggering time is way too long to really be of any use. It should be at least twice faster, but reduce its damage to 1, also a 5 second cooldown too.

No. It’s fine as it is. Before it did nothing but knock you back and able to still block. Now you can actually hit someone if you have a fast weapon. It has a purpose and if someone keeps using it, strafe or back peddle so you don’t keep getting hit.

Get better at the game.

- Actions queuing : Just remove this, If i right click, I want to parry right now, not when the previous action is finished, all it does right now is screwing you over. The game is supposed to be all about timing, or something along these lines, queuing just ruins your timing by executing actions you needed done years ago. Just remove the queuing system, except for comboing which still needs changes too. Make a combo attack only effective when ordered post-midswing.

Of course it needs changing, everything needs changing because you can’t be bothered to learn how to do things properly.

No.

- Fix 1H Reach : Now either it’s lag, either you guys extended some if not all 1 handed weapons reach. Either way, you should bring it back the way it was, it’s just ridiculous and it was fine before. Right now there’s next to no reason to pick a 2h over a 1h, and you can see it ingame, now everyones hang around with a Falchion or a warhammer and a tower shield.

No. Why? Just because.

I haven’t seen anybody use a tower shield unless they were new to the game. I have also seen plenty of people use the Maul and other two handed weapons plenty. I usually pick both in my loadout just to keep players thinking. And it works.

Timing is everything, figure it out. The weapons hit where I expect them to hit based on their animations and models. They are much more accurate than they used to be.

Figure it out.

- CTF: It’s fine but it needs some better information display. A message in the center of the screen when your team took the flag or when the enemy did, and when it’s captured. Also a simpler score display, like 1-3 on top of the scoreboard instead of those thousands nobody understands.

I understand them, but for once you have a good idea.

- Duel mode: Smarter matchmaking, try to make people who win a lot fight other people who wins a lot. It’s kinda disappointing to see the two first players in the end of a game being both 10-0 and 10-0.
    What’s even more disappointing is seeing 10 - 1 guy win and 9 - 0 guy doesn’t. I mean he’s undefeated and he’s beaten 10 - 1 guy. What should be done in my opinion is on one hand make a win count 1 point, and a loss count -3 points.

No I like the system at it is. When you have two 10-0 guys tied, it picks the winner based on who finished first. Pretty straight forward. The guy who had 9-0 against the guy with 10-0 shouldn’t win, not even if it was against a guy with 10-1.

The other guy played 11 matches and won 10. The guy who only played 9 matches should not win when he hasn’t fought as many battles. You shouldn’t have a winner based on someone who dilly dallied or joined the server later.

It’s Duel Mode, not “Here’s a gold sticker and an E for effort” mode

• @Cpt-Praxius:

@The Algerian:

- Feinting: It’s a coin flipping mechanic right now . It should either go away, or be made much much shorter and impossible to do it twice in a row. A shorter feint would prevent its wild guessing aspect and a cooldown would prevent spamming.

No. It is already related to stamina and when you run out of stamina, you can’t do it anymore. What’s more is that if someone keeps spamming it, then they’re easy to predict and all you have to do is drive something into them as they do so.

I like it just as it is.

Well, if you’re above lvl 20, you might be the only one who likes it as it is.
    And it’s NOT easy to predict as long as the opponent either uses a fast weapon or knows to make it last. So either you didn’t meet anyone who knew how to exploit this flawed mechanic, either you like the idea of a complete random mechanic that helps you level the playfield against a more skilled opponent.
    viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8427

@Cpt-Praxius:

No. It’s fine as it is. Before it did nothing but knock you back and able to still block. Now you can actually hit someone if you have a fast weapon. It has a purpose and if someone keeps using it, strafe or back peddle so you don’t keep getting hit.

Get better at the game.

There we go, “if” you have a “fast weapon”. Now I get why you like the game as it is now and why you’re opposed to feinting being changed and everything else I suggest being changed :)
    Feinting, Actions queuing (great for spamming fast weps), 1handers new double reach, kick/bash, it’s all in your advantage now. It’s complete BS but it’s all in your advantage so why would you want it changed, right?
    I wish people were all like me, honest enough to give feedback based on what’s balanced, skill-based and what’s not instead of what could give them an insane upperhand, but hey, that’s just me I guess.

Get better at the game, yeah. Right :?

(Also as far as I’m concerned, this conversation is over, don’t bother)

• I agree on everything, specially on the feint topic.

• @Metrocop:

I agree on everything, specially on the feint topic.

Now that’s the opinion of someone who knows what he’s talking about BTW.

• @The:

Yeeeeees, this, very much. Sometimes I can’t even tell if they’re just lagging and spazzing out or just feinting like a frenchman.

@The:

Agreed, very much so. Any time I wanna land a kick on someone turtle blocking, he already backpeddled before the kick even started, leaving me immobile and defenceless.

@The:

Oh god I need dis. No, seriously, I need this. It’s so bloody annoying to see your character block twice for no reason, missing a great oppertunity to retalliate.

@The:

I haven’t really noticed any new reach to my dane axe, but that could just be me.

@The:

@The:

Hm, getting bad vibes about this. I think the mechanic should be that everyone plays against everyone, 10 matches, never trying to match up against the same opponent. Best out of 10 wins, if both players are 10 - 0 it’ll have an extra round?

• @SharpshotSid:

@The:

@The Algerian:

Hm, getting bad vibes about this. I think the mechanic should be that everyone plays against everyone, 10 matches, never trying to match up against the same opponent. Best out of 10 wins, if both players are 10 - 0 it’ll have an extra round?

Yeah, this one is a bit tricky. I thought of the very same thing you say but what happens it just that people tend to join the game while it’s on and thus have less duels than the other. Or even if they join in the beginning, they get less fights because their duels last longer.

But yeah, something along the line of making everyone duel everyone or at least making the players on top of the scoreboard fight each other at least once would be good.

• @The:

]- Duel mode: Smarter matchmaking, try to make people who win a lot fight other people who wins a lot. It’s kinda disappointing to see the two first players in the end of a game being both 10-0 and 10-0.

I have no idea what the current algorithm is right now.

Right now it matches you up pretty quick - which is a good thing so I assume it waits 8 seconds to find someone from the pool you have not thought, if not found it matches you with someone you have not fought in a while.

If they made it so you fought each other once obviously that would cause a lot of waiting around for slower fights but be the fairest.

I see what you are saying BUT doesnt that lower the wins for the best players if you did that and allow medium level players better chances of winning?

Not sure how it can be realistically improved.

• I wish people were all like me, honest enough to give feedback based on what’s balanced, skill-based and what’s not instead of what could give them an insane upperhand, but hey, that’s just me I guess.

Yes well spoken sir, these filthy peasants dont know what their talking about. :king:

• @gregcau:

@The:

]- Duel mode: Smarter matchmaking, try to make people who win a lot fight other people who wins a lot. It’s kinda disappointing to see the two first players in the end of a game being both 10-0 and 10-0.

I have no idea what the current algorithm is right now.

Right now it matches you up pretty quick - which is a good thing so I assume it waits 8 seconds to find someone from the pool you have not thought, if not found it matches you with someone you have not fought in a while.

If they made it so you fought each other once obviously that would cause a lot of waiting around for slower fights but be the fairest.

I see what you are saying BUT doesnt that lower the wins for the best players if you did that and allow medium level players better chances of winning?

Not sure how it can be realistically improved.

Yes. I agree.
    I don’t know the algorithm either and as far as duel mode is concerned, I’m just throwing some idea around and I’m not sure how it can be improved.
    But I still think it should be. Something’s not right currently, last time I’ve seen a 10-2 win the game even though the guy right below had 10-1.
    So right now it even just rewards the guy who had more fights, regardless of how many he won.

• Global Moderator

Basically you just want the combat to be swing block swing block swing block.

What a fun game that would be.

• @lemonater47:

You could put word in my mouth, or you could learn to read.
    I guess the first one is easier.

• You have a great list of ideas here, thank you for posting them. I’ll go ahead and add my observations/feedback for each one.

Feinting - As it is, I mostly see it used as intended: for more skilled players to trick a less skilled player into blocking prematurely. I do hear a lot of complaints about it though and I’m sure at the very least the animations could be improved.

Kicking - I definitely agree, kicking was made way too slow in the last patch. With the new special stagger mode when getting kicked with a shield up combined with the old kick speed, it would feel right I think.

Action queuing - This drives me crazy and I don’t really see any point of it existing. It mostly just results in friendly fire after an enemy has been killed. The combo change you suggest is also a good idea as it will require good timing (which is the whole idea of the combat system) to pull off rather than just being able to spam click currently. One thing I would add is to make premature clicks break the combo.

1H reach - I hadn’t come to this conclusion myself, but it would explain some of the deaths I’ve been experiencing since the patch. Maybe they were trying to fix the hit detection on the dagger class weapons and mucked something up?

CTF - I think this is a problem with the scoreboard in general. The objectives really need to be more prominently displayed rather than being tucked in small text under the player list. I’ve learned where to look for information but it’s confusing for new players. CTF mode would definitely benefit from center-screen objective information like the team objective maps though.

Duel mode - haven’t tried it, can’t comment.

• Global Moderator

@The:

@lemonater47:

You could put word in my mouth, or you could learn to read.
    I guess the first one is easier.

My apologies.

Its swing block swing block LASER KICK.

• live from the warsite of chivalry med warfare: ideas and suggestion topic!

calm down guys-

uhm i liked that

Actions queuing : Just remove this, If i right click, I want to parry right now, not when the previous action is finished, all it does right now is screwing you over. The game is supposed to be all about timing, or something along these lines, queuing just ruins your timing by executing actions you needed done years ago. Just remove the queuing system, except for comboing which still needs changes too. Make a combo attack only effective when ordered post-midswing.

• @nimbulan:

Feinting - As it is, I mostly see it used as intended: for more skilled players to trick a less skilled player into blocking prematurely. I do hear a lot of complaints about it though and I’m sure at the very least the animations could be improved.

I’m doing pretty good skill-wise. And still, I get tricked by lesser opponents who just either use fast weapons or learned how to make their feints last (which isn’t close to being hard).
    When you do either of those things, or both, the difference between a feint and a strike is barely the blink of an eye, especially at facehugging distance.
    It needs to be much shorter IMO, and impossible to make it last.

• Feinting:
    This is a more complex problem… I’m not sure if it resides in the actual multiple feinting though. As some suggested above, it is more frustrating with faster weapons (claymore comes to my mind) and I would say especially TWO-HANDED SWORDS and OVERHEAD. And the reason is animation - when people feint overhead with 2handed swords, it’s really difficult to distinguish it from an actual overhead blow because the weapon goes down anyway.
    But I agree it may not be a bad idea to forbid chain-feinting. Furthemore there some logic to it - it costs stamina because its exhausting, so there should be some pause between two so exhausting moves.
    Also I’d like to point out that removing feints is out of the question for me. I use feint most of the time to avoid hitting friendlies. It’s really nice stopping mechanism when someone kills your target unexpectedly before you do.

Kick/bash:
    I don’t really use kick/bash so it doesnt really bother me, but its true I noticed that after the patch people seem to be unable to hit me with it (and, as a result, they die - my catchphrase is “dont kick against a halberd”) while it worked very well before.

1H reach:
    Also more complex issue. There are 2 problems here:

1. Some weapons really have reach longer than they should according to their look (mace, im looking at you!).
    2. Knights. Knights have shitloads of swords and in the heat of battle its often difficult to tell them apart until its too late. Is the knight using the fast, short falchion? or the long, slow curved 1and 1/2 hander with one hand? To tell the truth, I managed to get to the rank 30 before I found out the knights’ “2handers” can be wielded in one hand too:)))

Duel mode:
    True. There shouldnt be two 10:0 players. In this case the round could be prolonged and put the players against each other.

• @Eleshar_Vermillion:

1H reach:
    Also more complex issue. There are 2 problems here:

1. Some weapons really have reach longer than they should according to their look (mace, im looking at you!).
    2. Knights. Knights have shitloads of swords and in the heat of battle its often difficult to tell them apart until its too late. Is the knight using the fast, short falchion? or the long, slow curved 1and 1/2 hander with one hand? To tell the truth, I managed to get to the rank 30 before I found out the knights’ “2handers” can be wielded in one hand too:)))

I think the main issue with one-hander reach is with stab attacks from shortswords. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Your right about the knights, they sure have a lot of swords and not very many people use the large ones one-handed since they are quite slow, and even the small one-handers can kill a vanguard in 2 hits. Most knights I see using swords two-handed use the overhead camera drop exploit which I’m guessing is more effective without a shield. I don’t think it’s very obvious in game but the achievements list them as bastard swords which is a term used for swords that can be used either 1- or 2-handed.

• @Cpt-Praxius:

@The Algerian:

I like it just as it is.

Get better at the game.

Of course it needs changing, everything needs changing because you can’t be bothered to learn how to do things properly.

No.

No. Why? Just because.

I haven’t seen anybody use a tower shield unless they were new to the game. I have also seen plenty of people use the Maul and other two handed weapons plenty. I usually pick both in my loadout just to keep players thinking. And it works.

Timing is everything, figure it out. The weapons hit where I expect them to hit based on their animations and models. They are much more accurate than they used to be.

Figure it out.

I understand them, but for once you have a good idea.

No I like the system at it is. When you have two 10-0 guys tied, it picks the winner based on who finished first. Pretty straight forward. The guy who had 9-0 against the guy with 10-0 shouldn’t win, not even if it was against a guy with 10-1.

The other guy played 11 matches and won 10. The guy who only played 9 matches should not win when he hasn’t fought as many battles. You shouldn’t have a winner based on someone who dilly dallied or joined the server later.

It’s Duel Mode, not “Here’s a gold sticker and an E for effort” mode

Yes, let’s argue against every point he makes and act as if he’s completely wrong. There’s no way our beloved Chivalry can have anything wrong with it at all, and anyone who suggests that there may be room for improvement needs to “get better at the game”. Stop being a fanboy, man. A lot of the shit he said is true, like feinting being a flawed-ass mechanic. Feinting is incredibly easy to exploit, especially since you can do it over-and-over. It’s possible to legitimately feint 5 times in one second. Does that sound fair? Feint twice, go in for a hit. Feint 2 or 3 times, go in for a hit. It’s pretty damn hard to counter unless you go absolutely offensive and don’t block at all.