Extra Weapons

• Does anyone know what the extra weapons from the stretch goals will be? Apart from the flail because that has been confirmed.

• Sickles, rapiers, slings and few flail variants would be the obvious choice.

Sickle/sythe for vanguard, rapiers for maa, slings for missile and flails for knights.

• @Strudel:

Sickles, rapiers, slings and few flail variants would be the obvious choice.

I don’t think any of those would really fit the theme, save for the flail, and I honestly don’t see very many variants of those.

• There were actually a lot of variants of the flail. A traditional military flail was in fact a peasant weapon, and like most peasant weapons it was a converted farming implement - a long pole attached by a chain to a much shorter pole lined with spikes. More knightly flails were usually made of better materials and had an iron striking rod typically with flanges rather than spikes, or the iconic ball-and-chain.

What’s interesting to note about (medieval) flails is that the way they’re depicted now is pretty much historical nonsense. Medieval era flails were almost all long pole weapons rather than one handed weapons. It wasn’t until about the renaissance era that advances in steel made for light enough metals to be used for a one handed flail to be viable, and most of the ball-and-chain single handed flails that exist were from the 16th century or later.

Luckily since Chivalry doesn’t aim to be realistic we’ll most likely see a variety of one handed flails. Maybe even one of those really ridiculous ones with like five chains. It’ll be really interesting to see how they can implement flail fighting mechanics like building up momentum with them and swinging around a block without making them severely overpowered. No doubt they’ll be an absurdly high skill cap weapon.

I have to admit I love the idea of a sling for a secondary skirmisher kit to complement the javelineer. Rather than heavy damage with low ammo capacity they’d do light damage with nigh unlimited ammo and be able to fire off a lot of shots fast. They’d need some kind of strong backup melee, though, and maybe a buckler, because it’d be hard to get kills solely with a sling. I imagine they’d be great archer hunters if they could use a sling and buckler.

Rapiers don’t fit the time period at all. Sickles/scythes are further examples of peasant weapons that could possibly fit in.

• @SlyGoat:

Rapiers don’t fit the time period at all.

But my name is Inigo Montoya, I prepare people for death. Particularly if you killed my father. :(

• Although the arsenal is already freakish big, there might be some weapons that need to be considered as an addition.

I don’t think rapieres would be unfitting, as gameplay wise they would make for shorter and more polyvalent spears (swords used only for thrusting), but surely there are other weapons to consider.

I like the slings too, and they should come with the little tiny shield option.

Maybe they could add composite bows ? (maybe just add a single bow for that, not three kinds)

Flails MUST be in.

How about older weapons, as for example ancient weapons : “roman type weaponry” could be completed by adding a gladius (there is already tower shield and heavy javlin = pilum) ?

Maybe pikes, but I am absolutely not conviced by their usefulness.

One handed crossbows might be worth thinking about, for the LOLz, but for nothing else really.

Maybe Gandalf’s staff, with mighty tornadoes of hits ?

The first person to mention a japanese gets a piano on it’s head ! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED !!!

• @SlyGoat:

There were actually a lot of variants of the flail. A traditional military flail was…

I’m aware there are, like other military weapons, countless evolutions. I just don’t see that many being put in the game and still being interesting. Just making a bunch of mace clones with chains would be an extremely boring way to approach this weapon. Aside from the different chain variations like you mentioned,I don’t think any more than three flails would be necessary. I think that a momentum mechanic like you mentioned would be cool, like make attacks get stronger and faster with each swing. But that would mean adding more physics and stuff to the game, and I don’t want to make assumptions as to what is practical for the devs or not. It would be cool to see flails in this game though.

As for the sling thing, I really don’t like the idea. What you described would basically be a weapon for inexperienced ranged players to sling bullets all over the place with a high rate of fire. It lacks any of the skill/accuracy that is needed for the other more precise ranged weapons. Trying to kill someone with a sling would be like trying to annoy someone to death, and I don’t think that a metal or stone bullet can be thrown fast enough to break metal armor. Realism or no, it doesn’t make sense to me. Creating a ranged weapon with the sole purpose of poking and interrupting players, rather than killing them, would just be stupid.

As for the sickle things, I guess it could work. It was more of a farming implement though. The blade of a scythe is on the inside part, so that would mean you would have to swing backwards to cut someone. I guess since we are in a fantasy/realism world, we could have scythes with an actual fighting blade, but that kind of weapon would be just like an axe, only a little different. Not deserving of it’s own class of weapon, but it could be a cool addition to the axes section of the arsenal.

• @Blindga:

As for the sling thing, I really don’t like the idea. What you described would basically be a weapon for inexperienced ranged players to sling bullets all over the place with a high rate of fire. It lacks any of the skill/accuracy that is needed for the other more precise ranged weapons. Trying to kill someone with a sling would be like trying to annoy someone to death, and I don’t think that a metal or stone bullet can be thrown fast enough to break metal armor. Realism or no, it doesn’t make sense to me. Creating a ranged weapon with the sole purpose of poking and interrupting players, rather than killing them, would just be stupid.

The point of the sling would be many ammunition, high rate of fire and little damage, but that would be just enough to kill archers, as in “you do not even have time to reload there’s a stone in your face interrupting your action”, and be a support weapon at close range too.

Also, I can’t say about the penetration of such weapon, but the aim is not to go through armor, just give enough impact to break bones underneath, and a very fast sling ammo can undoubtebly kill even a knight (in some circumstances) by breaking the skull under the metal helmet.

Also, against near unarmored fast moving oponents, this weapon might be more efficient than a bow and arrow (more shots are more difficult to dodge than a few).

• I want to see the katana in the game. Best sword ever made.

• A lot of weapons were originally just farming tools. There were plenty of examples of scythes that were improvised into military tools by fitting the blade on to the end of the pole so that it was more like a glaive.

Also, nobody acknowledge Wingy. If you ignore his trolling he goes away. ;)

e: Oh, and weapons I’d really like to see: an estoc for the Knight. Estocs were longer longswords with limited cutting power but a very sharp point for penetrating armor with thrusts.

Some kind of two-handed weapon for the man-at-arms. A quarterstaff is an awesome but impractical weapon, but a man-at-arms could make it work - it’d give him a longer reaching weapon balanced out by weak single hit damage. Alternately, swordstaves are awesome too.

Lochaber axe for the Vanguard. Shorter and lighter than a bardiche but much faster, for more variety in slashing polearms.

For archers I have to stick with a sling and/or staff sling. Not only because it’d be awesome but because the other variety of ranged weaponry are pretty much all covered already :)

• Slygoat saved Wingy from DEMONIC PIANO OF DOOM on the Head

• Is there a one-handed hammer in the game? The arsenal doesnt say wether a weapon is handled with one hand or both.

If not, add it. Maybe its not realistic, but its fun to bash helmets with one hand while you use your shield in the other.

Also:

Howdy, Wingy

Im doing great, thank you Torn Banner.

• @Wingy:

Is there a one-handed hammer in the game? The arsenal doesnt say wether a weapon is handled with one hand or both.

If not, add it. Maybe its not realistic, but its fun to bash helmets with one hand while you use your shield in the other.

Also:

Howdy, Wingy

Im doing great, thank you Torn Banner.

There are several one handed maces.
    I believe the cudgel, morning star, flanged mace, holy water sprinkler, and warhammer are all 1 handed.

• Then i expect that at least 1 of the 1 handed hammer sidegrades looks more hammer-ish and less warpick-ish. A bit like Thor´s hammer, but not so exaggerated.

This is a fantasy hammer, but look at the proportions and forget about the spiky end:

• Like a mallet? That could be interesting but I don’t see how it would be any different than a mace gameplay-wise.

• @SlyGoat:

Like a mallet? That could be interesting but I don’t see how it would be any different than a mace gameplay-wise.

Well… there isn’t any reason a holy water sprinkler mace would be any different from a morning star mace either. I’m sure they could make it work if they tried.

• i would imagen mauls, cleavers and just other versions of the current types we have now.

• @SlyGoat:

Like a mallet? That could be interesting but I don’t see how it would be any different than a mace gameplay-wise.

Even a re-skin with some different sound effects would work, sidegrades arent the only way to go. A couple of skins for the same weapon would improve the customization options, you would feel more unique and it would allow you to pick your favourite weapon without having to design a new mechanic for the weapon and implement it in the current balance system.

• @Wingy:

Even a re-skin with some different sound effects would work, sidegrades arent the only way to go. A couple of skins for the same weapon would improve the customization options, you would feel more unique and it would allow you to pick your favourite weapon without having to design a new mechanic for the weapon and implement it in the current balance system.

I think that’s a really bad idea. I always saw res-kins as a sign of lazy work; at least on it’s own. I do know of games that use re-skinned things in interesting and unique ways, such as having each different teams have different weapon appearances and names while still being the same thing. But I don’t think that is necessary or practical for Chivalry.

• @Blindga:

@Wingy:

I think that’s a really bad idea. I always saw res-kins as a sign of lazy work; at least on it’s own. I do know of games that use re-skinned things in interesting and unique ways, such as having each different teams have different weapon appearances and names while still being the same thing. But I don’t think that is necessary or practical for Chivalry.

Its not necesary, but this thread is about extra weapons. The game has a good variety of weapons and adding more is not necessary, but the game will be even better if it has more weapons and thats what the thread is about, talking about what weapons would you like to see.

That said, when you have many different types of one-handed blunt weapons in the game, and you work on a sidegrade system instead of an upgrade system, well, theres only so many attributes you can modify. What would be ridiculous is implementing the hammer, but 1% slower than the mace, dealing 1% more damage only to say its a completely different weapon.

So far, Id like to see THE KATANA, the one handed hammer (proper hammer, not warpick, even if historically innacurate.), and of course different types of flail.