Morning star with or without a shield?

• Hi… is better to use shield or just take aces or something else? what are the positives and negatives of using a shield?

• I’m not quite sure what you mean by “taking aces”. For me, blocking with a shield is less practical than using parry. Keep in mind I play MaA, what class are you playing? I’ve seen that most morningstar-wielding Men at Arms will use a shield, although I’m not entirely sure why. Shields aren’t that necessary though, if you’re skilled at parrying (although a parry won’t block an arrow heading towards your head).
    It comes down to personal preference at that level, a firepot for a MaA can be a better option than a shield, even if the enemy team has a good archer.

• He probably misspelled “axes”. Anyway, the biggest advantage of a shield is that you gain some protection against projectiles. This is mostly important against archers, since giving up throwables to protect yourself against throwables isn’t necessarily the best trade-off. You can also protect people behind you. Another advantage is the ability to block a larger area with a shield. For instance, a knight with a tower shield can close off a doorway on his own. The last advantage is the ability to block indefinitely, mainly good against feints, sometimes against multiple opponents.

The disadvantages are that you give up a throwable slot, shields obstruct your view, being kicked while shielding will daze you (preventing attacks or blocks for 1.1 seconds), and people find shield blocks to be less reliable than aimed parries. I’m not certain on the last one; it could just be an inconsistency between the visual component of the block and the actual hitboxes.

• yea… i wrote “aces” but i mean “axes”…

i play as knight with morning star (its quite good)… and i play in 3 rd view so my view isnt reduced by shield…

when i get kick from the enemy without a shield… will it daze me?

• @Spiro:

yea… i wrote “aces” but i mean “axes”…

i play as knight with morning star (its quite good)… and i play in 3 rd view so my view isnt reduced by shield…

when i get kick from the enemy without a shield… will it daze me?

You will flinch and it will interrupt your attack.

• Best thing about shields is usefulness against feints - if you play pub servers in objective mode feints are more rare so depends what you are doing.

• Another positive about a shield is that you can defend multiple enemies attack’s at once, which you can’t parry. They will slow you down a bit though so against a fast enemy switch to 1handed.

• Personally, I prefer without a shield. I think the pro to using a shield is making it harder to feint you, but the con is that if you get kicked/bashed while your shield is up, you can get dazed which allows them a free hit. And you can do an attack right after a successful parry that’s much faster which you can’t do with a shield. I recommend trying both and seeing what works for you.

• Never used a shield with any class, even when they were borderline OP. Never liked giving up throwables, as well as giving up damage as well as reach with my Longsword. As for MAA……well, I just think the firepot can be a useful debuff/area denial tool.

• I was fairly good with a shielded knight. But after this recent update I have ditched the shield for combat. I still carry it, for when I must push a cart or cross large open areas vs a good archer. The daze from being kicked while having a shield up is way too harsh.

• @ChuckingIt:

I was fairly good with a shielded knight. But after this recent update I have ditched the shield for combat. I still carry it, for when I must push a cart or cross large open areas vs a good archer. The daze from being kicked while having a shield up is way too harsh.

Drop the shield before getting kicked. Which, yes, is very difficult. But that’s why kicks take a crapton of stamina.

That said, it’s only a valid downside when being out of stamina means something, same with feint costing more stamina, and since the update took out the repeated dazes from blocking with no stamina, there really isn’t much of a downside anymore.