Half-Swording and Mordhau

• Back in medieval times, dueling Knights in full plate carrying swords would never use them “conventionally” against each other (i.e. holding the sword at the hilt with both hands), so they would either hold their sword blade just below the tip with one hand and grip the hilt with the other (half-swording) or invert their sword and use it as a hammer/pick (mordhau). Now, I know next to nothing about coding, but since one can switch the javelin from throwing-mode to thrusting-mode maybe we can have a similar scheme with the Knight and Vanguards’ swords (with the possible exception of the Messer), where pressing “x” would allow one to either half-sword or use the mordhau style, and in turn give up range/variety/slashing in favour of more anti-armor power.

Thoughts?

• Hey I think you’re on to something! :D This is a okay idea. :jlaff:

• Thanks! Hopefully the devs take a look at this…

• But then blunt weapons won’t have as much of a purpose if mordhau is in. And half-swording would probably be too fast.

• @Cake_and_Iguanas:

But then blunt weapons won’t have as much of a purpose if mordhau is in. And half-swording would probably be too fast.

Obviously balance would have to be taken into account so that blunt weapons aren’t made redundant. They certainly weren’t made redundant on real battlefields when the mordhau technique was invented. And as for half swording, you would have thrust-only type moves like the javelin, and severely reduced range.

• Already suggested by someone in the Alternate Attack feedback topic (page 3), but hopefully this will give it more attention.

Half-swording could be an alternate stab attack, while mordhau could be used by clicking the mouse wheel - since that button is currently unused.

• so they would either hold their sword blade just below the tip with one hand and grip the hilt with the other (half-swording

Wouldn’t this make them cut their on palm?

• @Onetastic:

so they would either hold their sword blade just below the tip with one hand and grip the hilt with the other (half-swording

Wouldn’t this make them cut their on palm?

They have plated gauntlets on… don’t think some slight movement is going to cut through that;)

Although I don’t regard it as a priority above other features, it would be fun to have in the game. I just simply see no immediate reason why to implement it. You already have a stab (and slash does do minor damage) and I don’t think having more stabs will increase your abilities against knights that much.

It would indeed be cool since it was THE technique against other knights, but it is not a priority since the effects (low slash damage, high piercing damage) are already in the game mechanisms.

• But i had the feeling that the palm area of those plated gloves were only leather. Maybe im just picturing this wrong but did the OP mean that he would hold the steel of the sword, having a hard time imagining the purpose of that…

And like Nivve said, i dont see any purpose or need for this.

• @Onetastic:

But i had the feeling that the palm area of those plated gloves were only leather. Maybe im just picturing this wrong but did the OP mean that he would hold the steel of the sword, having a hard time imagining the purpose of that…

And like Nivve said, i dont see any purpose or need for this.

Well yes it’s mostly leather (in that I was incorrect), but just take some leather and the sharpest knife you have and then try to cut through the leather without using the point of the knife…

As long as there is not much power behind it (e.g. swings) or a lot of lateral movement (e.g. cutting a steak with a straight knife) a cutting edge does not do much. So a small layer of leather is enough to protect you when holding the blade.

• I think half-swording could be instead of a secondary weapon for the knight. You switch to it and there is a short delay (maybe similar to pulling out the dagger).