Increase fps using fancy shmancy texture compressor!

• Hello everyone!

I was playing the new maps and been listening to some complaining about fps issues on some of the bigger maps. I’ve also recently been getting back into fallout NV and one of the mods is a texture optimizer for many of Bethesda and Paradox’s games. I ran it on chivalry and when I got in-game it was rendering the new ‘Order Castle’ map at 35~40 fps. I push my nVidia GTS 250 pretty hard and usually get a constant 30 with no stuttering on all maps. The texture compressor doesn’t change any visuals and look as well as it always did. I want to say it even grabs the textures and applies them quicker.

Optimizer Textures by AdPipino <–- absolutely all credit goes to this man!

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/12801

Read the read-me that comes with it. I used Profiles MAXIMUM with ALL. Took about 3min to complete.

Good News! Instructional Video on how to run AdPipino’s texture optimizer with Chivalry! 8-)

[youtubehd:2nh74xh4]gTTI1Zz4Lzs[/youtubehd:2nh74xh4]

-thanks to lemonater47 for the video!

EDIT: I forgot to say the only thing that was ‘wrong’ was the splash screen. When I open it up through steam doesn’t show. If there’s any issues don’t forget you can always go into your steam library and get to Chivalry’s preferences to validate the files.

DOUBLE EDIT: if you’re curious about your fps #'s, press “~” in-game and enter: Stat FPS
    "~" is the key directly to the left of 1.

• Nice find, I will test it out soon!

• Global Moderator

Lol it actually works. The guy who made it needs to be told it works for chivalry.

• I was sceptical, actually.

But it works, it really does. And it works great.

Please, STICKY THIS!

• Yeah I am testing , just the texture compressor and it seems to work as my fps has not dropped below 61 at all and so far, no noticeable shuddering. I still have to test it on a full server above 24 players as that is usually where my PC takes a dump with fps lag. I haven’t tested the BSP/Map compressor yet but this is so far a very nice find.

• yeah people are majorly skeptical about it when I tell them over chat. It seems really strange. I know and it opens up cmd prompt, which scares some people. Trust me this is a legit method of optimizing a lot of the mip maps and data types. I’m glad I found it and got it to work, and am just spreading the good news. I don’t know how to go about it, but maybe the dev’s can be persuaded to change their programs structure a bit to include this new ‘feature’.

• Gotta say I’m actually impressed with the results, game runs smoother than before the content update.

• I love you

• Seriously this helps a hell lot on fps, even with my beast (i5 720 CPU, 570 GTX GPU, 8Gb ram) I only got 45-60 fps (unstable) while I get 57-62 very stable with this optimizer.

TBS include this in the next patch!

Gonna try it out on my bad pc, see if I can get the 15-30 to stabilize at 30.

Edit: Just a thank you to Jazz man for notifying us of this ;)

• I dont know what I do wrong, but I only get: ‘‘error, unknown file’’ at all the files he scans when I point it to the correct data and plugin folders :(

Profiles are: MAXIMUM and ALL

• thank you :D

working good http://i.imgur.com/svviPBn.jpg

• @Bagration:

I dont know what I do wrong, but I only get: ‘‘error, unknown file’’ at all the files he scans when I point it to the correct data and plugin folders :(

Hay Bargation, sry to hear about the issue. I’m gonna say: this is still highly untested and as far as we knows works ‘good with no apparent problems’ while using a nVidia. I’m not sure about ATI or anything else. Please follow the directions exactly as they are in the read-me.

Other than that, when you say that you point to the correct ‘data and plugins folders’ it’ll default to [c:/skyrim dir] or any other Bethesda game. (Again this IS a mod for fallout NV.) I browsed using the little icon just to the left of the plugin/data files drop-down. I chose the entire “chivalrymedevalwarefare” folder in my steam > common folder. That way I was getting every possible file that the program could potentially convert.

When I’m all done it looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/yi4ifL6.gif

Also I have not touched the BSA at all. I’m going to look into this more today, but please leave any info you have here for everyone else to gather.

• Thanks for sharing. I’m getting almost constant 60fps when I would sometimes drop to around 30 when I get in a fight.

• @Bagration:

I dont know what I do wrong, but I only get: ‘‘error, unknown file’’ at all the files he scans

Try pointing it at the main Chivalry directory. It’ll scan all the files in subdirectories on its own from there, in my experience. That’s what I did last night. It spat out a ton of “error, unknow file” messages, but also several conversion messages. By the time it was done, I had lost my start-of-game banner (no problem, I don’t care) but had also gained notably smoother visuals while playing.

Just getting a passable framerate has done wonders for my play. I’m still no super-expert, but I can hold up decently now.

• Amazing. Somebody give this guy a promotion.

• @JHoersten2:

Amazing. Somebody give this guy a promotion.

HAHAHAHAHA! if only I had one of those JOB things…

And I finally understand what you’re saying now Bagration. You didn’t do anything wrong. Actually you did it exactly right. That was the cmd prompt I was talking about earlier. Rick’s got the right idea, because we’re looking at EVERY file in chivalry a lot of those are not pictures. It’s looking at txt files and codding and it’s just sayin, “Yeah, idk what to do with these, i can’t compress them.” Also if you have a keen eye and you see cmd deleting a lot of things, those are all the previous “UN-optimized” textures/mips.

• I think I did it right, It works for my AMD card. I don’t notice really any difference but maybe I have to test it on the volcano map to see.

• @Jazz:

@Bagration:

I dont know what I do wrong, but I only get: ‘‘error, unknown file’’ at all the files he scans when I point it to the correct data and plugin folders :(

Hay Bargation, sry to hear about the issue. I’m gonna say: this is still highly untested and as far as we knows works ‘good with no apparent problems’ while using a nVidia. I’m not sure about ATI or anything else. Please follow the directions exactly as they are in the read-me.

Other than that, when you say that you point to the correct ‘data and plugins folders’ it’ll default to [c:/skyrim dir] or any other Bethesda game. (Again this IS a mod for fallout NV.) I browsed using the little icon just to the left of the plugin/data files drop-down. I chose the entire “chivalrymedevalwarefare” folder in my steam > common folder. That way I was getting every possible file that the program could potentially convert.

When I’m all done it looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/yi4ifL6.gif

Also I have not touched the BSA at all. I’m going to look into this more today, but please leave any info you have here for everyone else to gather.

Thank you for your attention.
    I followed up what was in the readme right away from the start, to no avail.

But it worked nicely on Fallout New Vegas ;)

@Jazz:

@JHoersten2:

Amazing. Somebody give this guy a promotion.

HAHAHAHAHA! if only I had one of those JOB things…

And I finally understand what you’re saying now Bagration. You didn’t do anything wrong. Actually you did it exactly right. That was the cmd prompt I was talking about earlier. Rick’s got the right idea, because we’re looking at EVERY file in chivalry a lot of those are not pictures. It’s looking at txt files and codding and it’s just sayin, “Yeah, idk what to do with these, i can’t compress them.” Also if you have a keen eye and you see cmd deleting a lot of things, those are all the previous “UN-optimized” textures/mips.

Ahh I see.
    Guess it’s a WIP then :D

• Some of our guys have used this and reported massive fps boosts.

• Thanks for posting this, Excellent stuff.