Hatchet Stab is too fast -> Easy Exploit

• I have recently found that the hatchet speed mechanics are very close to an exploit.

The hatch stab attacks has a windup of .3s and release of .3s, so in .6s you can windup and hit your target. With this you can combo into a slash with .625s

Consider this:
    The parry time is .5 seconds, .8 if parried (if I’m understanding it correctly). Now given people usually react to the attack animation parry after they see the stab animation windup their .5 to .8s parry(ied) time starts, at best it would .15seconds after the hatchet stab windup animation, more likely .2s

Now assuming they parried the hit, that leave this situation:
    The parry player is locked into parried for a minimum of .5s, followed by a parry recovery time of .5s incredibly close to the time needed to slash combo the hatchet. So unless the parrying player is almost perfect with his timing, the combo’d hatchet slash will hit during the parry recovery time, basically putting that player in an almost guaranteed hit position.

It could also be true that if the attacking player times it correctly he will always hit with the combo slash, I’m not sure of the exact parry mechanic timings.

In duel situations I’ve found this method of hatchet attack, stab to force parry and follow with slash will almost always hit with the slash. This seems counter to the play style TB is trying to achieve, as such I believe the stab attack of the hatchet have a slightly increased windup and release time, to prevent this.

edit: Whilst daggers have a similar issue the damage output of a hatchet it makes it far more damaging in terms of gameplay.

• You got some stuff mixed up there. Getting parried means the attacker is interrupted and can’t attack (much less combo) for 0.8 seconds, this is the “Parried” value you see in the spreadsheet. The defender however can react almost instantly (no recovery on successful parry) and gets a boost to his attack speed, so even with a slow weapon you have plenty of time to retaliate against a hatchet. Keep in mind you can almost always parry, even if you can’t attack like immediately after getting hit.

The hatchet is very fast indeed and the damage is much greater than the percentages ingame suggest, higher than the dane axe’s on most accounts. The reach is very poor though and you can try dodging it by simply backing off or strafing to the side, preferably while winding up an attack of your own.

• Ahh, Okay.

However I still find in-game that the stab with a hatchet followed by a slash almost always hits as the slash lands just as they finished their first parry, before they can parry again. Perhaps the .8s delay isn’t applying correctly to the attacker?

• @Toll:

Ahh, Okay.

However I still find in-game that the stab with a hatchet followed by a slash almost always hits as the slash lands just as they finished their first parry, before they can parry again. Perhaps the .8s delay isn’t applying correctly to the attacker?

Downtime between parries is 0.5 seconds, not enough to fit in that 0.625 slash combo. Your enemy would have to parry exceptionally poorly, immediately after getting hit by the stab. It’s tempting to panic and spam parry when you’re getting rushed with fast weapons, and often lethal.

I’ve never seen the 0.8 parried recovery not happening, though I’ve never really tried to get around it. Any other testimonies?

• Your enemy would have to parry exceptionally poorly, immediately after getting hit by the stab.

Ahh, you misunderstand. The stab is intended to make them parry and not be hit. The stab hits their parry, then you start a slash which hits them just as their first parry animation finishes. I sure it isn’t supposed to be that way. I have been doing it recently and having a very high success rate on hitting people what must be just after their 1st parry animation, not enough time for them to react. Every now and then somebody parry’s that second hit, I’m not sure if that was because they parried both attacks almost perfectly or my timing was almost perfect.
    In any case, it is extremely difficult to stop particularly when you compare it to any other weapon bar daggers.