Fist Fighting

• Now I’m probably going to get a lot of rage from this, but it’s sort of ruining the feel of the game I think, so I’ll just come out and say it:
    I think the fists should be removed from Chivalry.

They just lead to people punching to be awesome or whatever, but it just doesn’t fit well with the game. Chivalry isn’t about punching. If you want to fist fight, just play a boxing game maybe.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not mad because I die in fists fights or anything, I just think it’s a silly mechanic.

If you all disagree, state your thoughts. However, if you agree…. well… state your thoughts too. :D

• Pretty sure it can be disabled on servers.

I wouldn’t have it removed entirely. Maybe give knights and vanguards additional resistance, right now archers and MAAs seem far more effective with their backstab bonus, speed and dodging.

• I like them. Chiv is a very honor-bound, duelish game, and having a humiliation weapon fits into that paradigm perfectly.

I, for one, always fistfight as a Knight. I feel they’re best off because of the added health.

• @Torrenz:

Pretty sure it can be disabled on servers.

I wouldn’t have it removed entirely. Maybe give knights and vanguards additional resistance, right now archers and MAAs seem far more effective with their backstab bonus, speed and dodging.

Knight’s allready have the increased health. Vanguard’s get charge punch, for what good it does.

• @Hitom:

@Torrenz:

Pretty sure it can be disabled on servers.

Knight’s allready have the increased health. Vanguard’s get charge punch, for what good it does.

Actually I am betting fist are doing blunt damage, wich both Vans and Knights are more subceptable to, than Archers and MaA.

• But fist fighting is the essence of hand-to-hand combat.

Why would you remove a feature of a game that was most prominent during medieval times? There would have been just as much killing with peoples own hands then with swords and arrows.

• I totally agree with the premise - if you want to fistfight go play a boxing game. That said I don’t mind it being in the game but it should do almost no damage to someone in armour and I think that punching someone’s shield should actually hurt the person throwing the punch.

It certainly annoys me when I’m dueling and someone wants to box - so boring.

• If they want to box and you don’t hit them with your weapon … if you can.

I find that the best boxing class by far is MAA, whilst the Knight has extra health to take a beating he just cant land a blow on a good MAA boxer. That dodge in with a quick jab usually stuns and allows a follow up left hook, then dodge back out before their jab.

• Fist fighting is a very fun part of the game. Be it just for kicks with your buddies, or to humiliate people if that’s your thing…

I find it to be a viable way to finish people off sometimes since it’s usually unexpected.

I haven’t used fists enough to judge them as a balanced gameplay mechanic or not, but they are very fun to use and should by no means be removed!

Edit: @Squidy: Yea, it is a bit silly that an archer could kill a knight in heavy armor with his bare hands, and perhaps that a knight’s gauntlets couldn’t somewhat deflect slashing blows, but it’s fun, so I don’t think “realism” really matters here.

Maybe if people really are offended it could be a configurable server option. Maybe all the weapons should be configurable in the server options - that way everybody wins. If someone thinks certain weapons are unfit in some way, they can just make their own server as they see fit.

• @evil_vasile:

Edit: @Squidy: Yea, it is a bit silly that an archer could kill a knight in heavy armor with his bare hands, and perhaps that a knight’s gauntlets couldn’t somewhat deflect slashing blows, but it’s fun, so I don’t think “realism” really matters here.

I know that Chivalry isn’t supposed to be realistic. All I was saying was that it ruins authenticity to have people on a medieval battlefield fist fighting or trying to kill someone with their fists.

Well, I think it’s clear people want fists to be in the game. At least it’s not game breaking. :D

• Fisting is overpowered. The punches come REALLY fast and then you get stunlocked to oblivion. At least get rid of the merciless stunlock when punching vanguards and knights.

• @Magnificent:

Fisting is overpowered. The punches come REALLY fast and then you get stunlocked to oblivion. At least get rid of the merciless stunlock when punching vanguards and knights.

No such thing as stunlock in this game buddy.

You’re more than likely trying to do actions to stop him punching you and he interrupts you each time because you are panicking.

• @DokB:

@Magnificent:

Fisting is overpowered. The punches come REALLY fast and then you get stunlocked to oblivion. At least get rid of the merciless stunlock when punching vanguards and knights.

You’re more than likely trying to do actions to stop him punching you and he interrupts you each time because you are panicking.

So if I have, let’s say, a poleaxe. How do I counter a MAA who is punching me nonstop? I can’t parry the punches fast enough because the punches come quicker, and with this patch parrying doesn’t always register, and I can’t kick fast enough because there’s now a delay.

• @Magnificent:

@DokB:

@Magnificent Bastard:

So if I have, let’s say, a poleaxe. How do I counter a MAA who is punching me nonstop? I can’t parry the punches fast enough because the punches come quicker, and with this patch parrying doesn’t always register, and I can’t kick fast enough because there’s now a delay.

I’d say that as soon as you realize you are getting punched, that you turn and face the MaA and kick at the best opportunity. It’s the only thing you can do, but you’re a Knight so you should be able to take a few hits and you will be able to get a kick off in between punches.

That’s just my personal experience with people who want to give me a good fisting…. Wait hold on… :P

• Alternately if you block them and counterattack they cant stop you.

• @BGrey:

Alternately if you block them and counterattack they cant stop you.

This. If you attack directly from a successful block, your windup will be shortened, combined with a short recovery on their side, which means that attack cannot be interrupted. Because fists are so damn fast you may get hit once more during swing, but that attack will go through and you can combo off of it.

The more offensive someone is the harder is fisting him (yes, I am experienced with this). Though, the slower your weapon, the harder it is for you… but never impossible. At least if your weapon is slow, you’ll need less hits with it.

Be careful with your swings, though. Good fist fighters know how to duck.

• @DokB:

I’d say that as soon as you realize you are getting punched, that you turn and face the MaA and kick at the best opportunity.

That is impossible if you have a shield, you are interrupted every time.

The only thing you can do is try to block that very fast attack.

• @gregcau:

@DokB:

I’d say that as soon as you realize you are getting punched, that you turn and face the MaA and kick at the best opportunity.

That is impossible if you have a shield, you are interrupted every time.

The only thing you can do is try to block that very fast attack.

I did it before, you need to start kicking when you’re not being swung at though. It’s difficult yes, but its still possible.

• It’s too difficult, and overpowered. Yet another thing that makes having a shield a pain in this game. That’s why I suggested that if you block a punch with a shield the puncher should take damage.