Better indication when you're too tired to kick

• Perhaps making the stamina bar flash a bit more obviously, or by a yellow pain flash. Right now kicks after an extended fight feel like a gamble because I don’t have time to look at my health or stamina bars. I’ll sometimes die doing nothing because I don’t realize I have no stamina left to boot them away. Even just a louder gasp would be fine.

• Also true for MaA dodge. Can’t tell you how many times I died because I tried to dodge with not enough stamina^^

• Perhaps a automatic voice command should play where your character mutter “too tired” or something. Since we’re going for minimal HUD in this game it’d probably have to be some sort of audio cue.

• @Salad:

Perhaps a automatic voice command should play where your character mutter “too tired” or something. Since we’re going for minimal HUD in this game it’d probably have to be some sort of audio cue.

I say maximum HUD with giant letters filling your screen with audio screaming “OUT OF STAMINA! REST NOW!” Then your character takes a little cat nap. Meow.

• Your character needs to say something like “UGH I JUST CAN’T DO IT CAPTAIN” or “HNNNNNNGGG OH GOD MY HEART IS GOING TO EXPLODE”

• @DokB:

Your character needs to say something like “UGH I JUST CAN’T DO IT CAPTAIN” or “HNNNNNNGGG OH GOD MY HEART IS GOING TO EXPLODE”

“She’s giving it all she can cap’n!”

But seriously, I think this is a valid concern. There’s not much indication that you’re out of stamina.

• “because I don’t have time to look at my health or stamina bars.”

Ever played street fighter before or any other fighting game with “bars”?

The ability to monitor your “meters” is a skill.

• @Park:

“because I don’t have time to look at my health or stamina bars.”

Ever played street fighter before or any other fighting game with “bars”?

The ability to monitor your “meters” is a skill.

I’m actually a fan of the Guilty Gear & Blazblue series (I’m one of those annoying Noel players), so I get your point. But Chiv’s bars are much less obtrusive and visible than a fighting game’s, intentionally so. I feel since the game was designed to have a naturalistic/minimal HUD, you shouldn’t really be forcing people to read something you designed to not be read in the heat of battle anyway. It’s a flip-floppy game design in that case.

Also, since the reason for minimal HUD is so I “am my character”, I should be able to instantly know if I’m tired in the same way I am constantly aware of how winded I am after doing a wind sprint or dash irl.

• What about some sort of screen effect that is noticeable but not too obtrusive when you try to perform an action you don’t have enough stamina for?

Something like the edge of your screen blurring slightly for half a second.

• As soon as you are out of stamina it should automatically force you into a crouch.

Be so awesome, you probably ducked a blow, free stab into the crotch and bam you get significant stamina back.

• You Must Construct Additional Pylons!

Some smart remark provided by voice actor.

• This thread is full of win. Everything needs to be implemented ASAP.

• This has been discussed in a similar thread. Many good things were suggested that goes beyond what is discussed here. The most relevant to this thread is that the screen could ‘grey out’ or ‘black out’ to a degree so you know that your low on stamina. This would be similar to the low on health mechanic and perhaps witty comments could be inserted instead of the pounding heart noise.
    http://www.chivalrythegame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=10516

• @giantyak:

This has been discussed in a similar thread. Many good things were suggested that goes beyond what is discussed here. The most relevant to this thread is that the screen could ‘grey out’ or ‘black out’ to a degree so you know that your low on stamina. This would be similar to the low on health mechanic and perhaps witty comments could be inserted instead of the pounding heart noise.
    http://www.chivalrythegame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=10516

Any additional changes to the screen would be terrible. The low health one is bad enough.

It would be cool if they could segregate the bar somehow into small blocks with each stamina-draining maneuver costing a certain amount so you could easily tell whether you had enough left to do x attack.

• Why are screen effects bad though?
    They give reliable feedback that is easy to notice giving players the idea that they are about to die and maybe in the future that they’re out of stamina. How can that be a bad thing? Besides it would be more immersive.

• Ok. Take a needle. Stab yourself with it deep into your elbow hole. It will hurt like hell and it is by no means a crippling wound. Humans generally have a very good sense of their “health bar” because they can feel so many different kinds of pain from so many different organs, but in the game, you have only the visual clue of the screen losing colours. Precise health bar will give you the information allowing you to calculate risks in a fight much more precisely: “I am wounded bu still over the half of my health bar, so this vanguard with claymore still has to hit me twice which is the same as if I were totally healthy”.
    Even then with some impairing light conditions (fighting in shadows), you are deprived even of the visual clue. And that’s health, i.e. the more important stat. Leave the health and stamina bars be, they are your best and only friends in the world of chivalry.