Feint vs other tactics - a list

• The discussion on feints is heavily tinted by one’s glasses color. I would like to present a list of tactics that are already in the game and which are able to achieve the same result as feints. This list is not complete. If u miss a tactic u successfully use please comment and I will add it.

Feint tactics:

• Feint
    • use the distance to your advantage

Without feint:

• use the distance to your advantage
    • bluff jump
    • intentionally missed swing
    • delayed start of swing
    • delayed swing
    • speed up swing
    • swing around your opponent
    • move around your opponent
    • kick (before the update)
    • flee and turn
    • footwork / dancing
    • counter-attacks
    • alternate swings
    • ducking/jumping
    • looking up to dip away from slashes
    • simply knowing the weapon, ranges, etc.
      -crouch attacks

• Without Feint:
    -timing attacks
    -footwork
    -jump attacks
    -combos
    -counter-attacks
    -alternate swings
    -dancing
    -DUCKING(huge one missed)
    -looking up to dip away from slashes
    -crouch attacks
    -simply knowing the weapon, ranges, etc.
    -pauses

• I do all those things along with feints.

• @RushSecond:

I do all those things along with feints.

Me too. These anti-feint threads are highly ridiculous…

• With feint -

• Kill someone, get bitched at.

Without feint -

• Get killed by feint.

• Without feint -

Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry.

• @gregcau:

Without feint -

Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry, Counter-Attack, Parry.

Wanna have some feintless 2her duels? I promise you’ll either make a liar out of yourself or learn something.

• @clayton-bigsby:

-crouch attacks …

What are those?

• @gregcau:

Without feint -

Sigh, how are people still saying this?

It could not be further from the truth. Please add me on steam (The Radiant), we’ll duel without feints, and you’ll change your opinion.

• @restinpieces:

@clayton-bigsby:

-crouch attacks …

What are those?

very effective with spear, basically crouching and poking/attacking… i call it dat dip poke… very effective believe it or not, especially spear vs. spear… or spear vs another long weapon. Also very effective on hills ;) It’s useful when they are attacking and you want to attack at the same time… a lot of times ill dip left to dodge and attack at the same time so my hit hits and theirs misses.

• @restinpieces:

snip

Fortunately, all those things (even when performed to a skillful extent) do not require superhuman reaction times to counter.
    The same cannot be said about feints let alone the facehugging ones.

• I bet if we ranked this list in order of use:effectiveness, feints will come first, and lookdown overheads second, or at least that’s how higher level play works (to my personal dismay, I hate exploity based crap as much as the next person); casual play is a whole different kettle of fish. It’s all well and good pointing out what’s available to a player, but it’s no good if say, feints or lookdown overheads, are far more effective than crouches, or delaying your swings, or alternate swings, or “simply knowing weapon ranges” as someone added. Obviously you can’t balance every single mechanic in perfect harmony, that’s asking for too much, but the point is there is a clear cut as to what the best mechanics to use are, and what can essentially be ignored or simply performed less.

• @Martin:

I bet if we ranked this list in order of use:effectiveness, feints will come first, and lookdown overheads second, or at least that’s how higher level play works (to my personal dismay, I hate exploity based crap as much as the next person); casual play is a whole different kettle of fish. It’s all well and good pointing out what’s available to a player, but it’s no good if say, feints or lookdown overheads, are far more effective than crouches, or delaying your swings, or alternate swings, or “simply knowing weapon ranges” as someone added. Obviously you can’t balance every single mechanic in perfect harmony, that’s asking for too much, but the point is there is a clear cut as to what the best mechanics to use are, and what can essentially be ignored or simply performed less.

This fact makes Knight and Vanguard swordplay have a rather low skill ceiling, in my opinion. Poke-lookdownoverhead or the reverse and sprinkle in some feints is very very effective compared to anything else. Adding in other moves, such as good crouching/ducking, effective footwork and maybe the odd accel-slash and you’ve got a powerhouse that’s pretty easy to learn.

• @clayton-bigsby:

@restinpieces:

@clayton-bigsby:

-crouch attacks …

What are those?

very effective with spear, basically crouching and poking/attacking… i call it dat dip poke… very effective believe it or not, especially spear vs. spear… or spear vs another long weapon. Also very effective on hills ;) It’s useful when they are attacking and you want to attack at the same time… a lot of times ill dip left to dodge and attack at the same time so my hit hits and theirs misses.

ah thx. Added to the starting post. Have to try that. I normaly don’t crouch because I can’t get the timing right to not get hit.