The rank 30 mark

• The good old rank 30 mark, when you hit it, you are looked upon as a leader, a good player and the enemy fears you.

But this is not all, when you hit rank 30 you get more compliments on your style, people start asking advice, you become somewhat of a mentor to the newbies or those eager to learn.

But there is one other thing that happens when you hit rank 30…you get insulted for your fighting style all the time by those who can’t stand losing from you even though it is logical that the guy with more play time beats the guy with less playtime more than the other way around.

You get raged upon because you threw a fire pot in a large group of enemies who are defending the objective, even though this makes sense. You get raged upon because you use good tactics and know when to back off from a fight. They also claim you have no honor because you chopped somebody’s head of who wasn’t facing you…

Enough of that stuff, what I actually came here to say was that you don’t need to spam the chat with rage because of all the reasons you think valid for raging listed above. Learn form your mistakes, ask how they did that move you didn’t know about instead of accusing the player of hacking and trying to votekick him. And when you find yourself in a quiet moment on the battelfield, learn from them, study, remember how they do it and you’ll be just as good, trust me. Just stop being an assh*le about losing to a better player/player with more play time.

PS: I think the quarter staff should have 80%-82% speed :) and i also didn’t check for spelling mistakes, my apologies for this act of indolence :P

• It’s inevitable; People don’t like losing and they’re quick to hit that enter key.

• Rank is so meaningless.

Ive played for a lot of hours but I am only starting to improve with this patch now there is duelling.

So I feel like a rank 10 noob whole is finally getting into his teens.

• @gregcau:

Rank is so meaningless.

Ive played for a lot of hours but I am only starting to improve with this patch now there is duelling.

So you didn’t spend your time wisely. Rank is still largely an indicator of competence simply because you know that person has been in a ton of fights. If they learned from those fights or not is entirely dependent on them and who they’ve been fighting.

• I’m almost rank 40 and don’t feel like I am anywhere near the skills of other 40+ players. I am good, but not rank 40 good. I played a rank 1 the other day who used counters, feints, and footwork very well… Felt like fighting a rank 25+ player!

• @Daiyuki:

@gregcau:

Rank is so meaningless.

So you didn’t spend your time wisely. Rank is still largely an indicator of competence simply because you know that person has been in a ton of fights. If they learned from those fights or not is entirely dependent on them and who they’ve been fighting.

My rank reflects my strategic play for objectives, which is what I spent most of my time.

But no I didn’t focus on one-on-one tactics and swordplay.

But as for wisely - lol I spent my time having fun and thats what this game is about.

• Wait until you hit rank 35. Apparently that’s when people magically transform into hackers.

• R27, I beat most ranks 30-35.

• Rank is hard to gauge skill. I know Rank 38’s who have 220~ hours. And my Rank 38 took 340 hours. The one who does more pubing and getting the 40+ kills on every outing ranks up faster. Often this leaves to quite a disparity in 1 v 1 skill or just overall experience against top level opponents. I know some mid level 20’s who have more hours than early 30’s, but the 20’s experience is all against really good people in smaller games, where you develop the best skill.

• I’ve seen people of rank 20 topping the scoreboard time after time. Ranks aren’t that big of an indicator of skill. Most of them are indicators of total time played.

• As a Rank 40+ player I find I need to be wary of anyone of Rank 20ish and above. Below that they are scrubs and can usually be beaten by just waiting until they swing for a big miss.
    At around rank 20 they are using feints more often and miss less, have better footwork. However they usually die to the quick counters or easily mislead by feints.

Rank 30+ players are much harder in general. I find they are susceptible to being set a rhythm then you break the timing of the rhythm then punish them.
    An example is: You hit, they parry counter, you parry counter, they parry counter. You wait 1 second then hit. Usually they parry the expected hit based on the pattern you just set up and you hit gets them.

Rank 40 players are much more about positioning, you can spend a good minute or more just moving around trying to force them into a mistake. There are usually feints from both sides and late parrying, jump stabs into feet, good use of ‘alt’ attacks and so on. Setting a rhythm doesn’t usually work as well.

• Oh I checked I am only rank 23 so I guess that is a fair indicator of my skill. Duels I win around 45% which isnt too bad as the duelling servers usually have some pretty good people.

• Hit rank 30 the other day. Haven’t noticed a change in peoples reactions to me much beyond the usual corpse defilement when they’re lucky enough to bring me down.

As for the evolution of my play style, it hasn’t changed much since the closed beta. I grew sick of learning the ever changing attack timings, so decided to focus on judging weapon reach instead. Which lead me to a fighting style that’s both forceful, unpredictable and relies solely on unforced errors. Been using it ever since. Works on everyone, no matter the rank or style of play.

Remember folks, blocking is an absolute last resort.

• Whilst unforced errors are a great way to get in free attacks, eventually you will be fighting people of higher skill that wont make those errors. Not with any frequency anyway, in which case you will need to attempt to force errors. This is where the real fun duels begin.

• Sometimes I force the unforced forced error that they attempted to force upon me as they pretend to force an unforced error which was forced to begin with.

• I’ve found the rank 30 players are the ones who frequent only Vanguard or Knight and spam feint.

Good thing is I play MaA so I am never within range of their weapon’s anyway and I’ll only ever be within range when I am attacking them.

• @DokB:

I’ve found the rank 30 players are the ones who frequent only Vanguard or Knight and spam feint.

Good thing is I play MaA so I am never within range of their weapon’s anyway and I’ll only ever be within range when I am attacking them.

o.0 You’ve never met a 30+ MAA?

• @Daiyuki:

@DokB:

I’ve found the rank 30 players are the ones who frequent only Vanguard or Knight and spam feint.

o.0 You’ve never met a 30+ MAA?

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve seen lots of +30 MaA. But I usually recognize (Aus) and they don’t frequent MaA which is sad. :(

I usually don’t pay too much attention to who I’m fighting but I do keep an eye out for players when I see them utilizing (or just spamming) feint or MaA players who proactively dodge and don’t use a shield. ;)

• 'sup

• @Slaughtervomit:

I’m almost rank 40 and don’t feel like I am anywhere near the skills of other 40+ players. I am good, but not rank 40 good. I played a rank 1 the other day who used counters, feints, and footwork very well… Felt like fighting a rank 25+ player!

This. We are in the same boots good sir.