In Memory of the FFA Duel server

• I love the new duel mode, and I love the fact that the devs took it upon themselves to design 10 entirely new maps to cater to this mode.

But I still consider it a loss that the classic “FFA-server-with-‘Duel’-in-the-server-name” is now largely gone.

I think the biggest loss is the community aspect of discussing gameplay and trying out techniques right in the battlegrounds. I would not have picked up the game’s mechanics nearly as quickly without having participated in those discussions in game. I loved being able to notice an interesting fight between skilled players somewhere on the battlefield and simply walk up to them to observe their play. Spectating another duel happening in the duel mode now is not the same- not to mention the game pulls me out of those spectating modes in a matter of seconds. ( and spectating all game isnt’ the point either - i’m here to play!).

I’m sure many other duelers also fondly remember the joy of cutting down those who have the insolence of coming in to interrupt your duel- especially when your opponent (and the rest of the server) joins in on the punishment.

I consider those (10 minutes at a time) sessions of standing around the grassy fields, trying out moves and discussing the game mechanics with other players some of my fondest gaming memories. It’s a shame that newer players may not get to appreciate this.

The organic nature of walking up to a player, playing your battle-cry/doing a respectful bow, before engaging in a fight to the death is just so appealing to me, and I’m sure many others on this forum know what I’m talking about.

The new duel mode is intense in it’s own way ( and stat-whoring that global win/loss ratio will be the death of me), but taking the matching-making and spectating out of the player’s hands and into the game structure I feel removes the community aspects of the game. I suppose one could click the ‘rematch’ button with a particular player and work things out that way, but the fact that you and your opponent are trying to kill each other for that +1 on your stats take away my incentive to die just to learn a new aspect of the game.

For those reading that host servers/are part of clans that do, please do consider running ‘FFA duel servers’ once in awhile to keep this awesome aspect of Chivalry alive.

• I definitely prefer the more organic FFA duel schemes because where you fight is up to you. No one salutes in the new duel mode either

• Ive seen the old style FFA duel servers out there.

But the new format is so much better.

• Yeah there is nothing really to prevent the old way of dueling from still existing. As a person that runs a small server I am glad that true dueling mode was added so people stop asking if its a dueling server or not every time FFA came around in the rotation.

That said, I still don’t mind if people wish to “duel” in FFA mode, I’m all for the gameplay being organic. I’m about as hands off as an admin as they come.

• @Daiyuki:

I definitely prefer the more organic FFA duel schemes because where you fight is up to you. No one salutes in the new duel mode either

No need to salute we all know why we are in a duel server, to duel. I only bow or taunt when in FFA duel servers.

I miss them as well but there still are a couple ffa duel servers, although they are mostly filled with FFA’ers since there is a duel mode now, no one reads the titles.

• @Anonymoose:

@Daiyuki:

I definitely prefer the more organic FFA duel schemes because where you fight is up to you. No one salutes in the new duel mode either

No need to salute we all know why we are in a duel server, to duel. I only bow or taunt when in FFA duel servers.

I miss them as well but there still are a couple ffa duel servers, although they are mostly filled with FFA’ers since there is a duel mode now, no one reads the titles.

Better than just sprinting at each other. And in the new maps, it is possible to get in behind someone and ambush them as they sprint to the other side of the map, which is not in the spirit of a duel.

• I liked those too. Perhaps someday we can have a duel mechanic similar to jedi knight, where targeting someone with a duel hotkey would challenge them, and if they accepted you would both salute and be invulnerable to outside interference until one of you died (or fled in cowardice).

• @manic:

I liked those too. Perhaps someday we can have a duel mechanic similar to jedi knight, where targeting someone with a duel hotkey would challenge them, and if they accepted you would both salute and be invulnerable to outside interference until one of you died (or fled in cowardice).

See, that’s exactly what I thought would be implemented, not a full-blown gametype with its own UI and maps. I mean, A for effort, but this method works equally to, if not better than, the duel mode they gave us and seems like it would have been 1/10 of the effort.

• It would be nice if they could take elements from the organic duel mode and incorporate them into the official duel mode. You could still walk around on the field but you could also have the option of using the spectator mode. You could still challenge people by walking up to them and war crying but you could also use the tab menu.

• Well I certainly don’t miss the idiots coming up behind me to lop my head off in the middle of a battle, or an idiot coming to attack both of us for two easy kills.

I don’t miss joining an FFA Duel Servers only to pop on the map to see everybody running around killing everybody in sight, while half of those players get PO’d and constantly telling people it’s a Duel Server while everybody just ignores them.

FFA Duel had it’s good points, but I prefer the new Duel system over the old one.

Right after the patch I tried to join three FFA Duel Modes only to load up on the map and see everybody going nuts at each other like a typical FFA mode…. and nobody running the server (who actually noted it as Duel) was around to enforce the rules and kick those who didn’t duel… so wtf make such a server??

At least in the new system, I can fight one person without interruption and not wait very long for the next battle. And of course, I like the maps made for it.

It also has it’s faults, but it’s leaps and bounds above FFA Duel. It covers my main gripes with original Duel, which was the interruptions and tools getting in the way of your Duel.

Bring back the Kick Vote for the people who waste player’s time at the end of the round by not doing anything / running away from fighting… add ping to the menu and fix the typing / menu pop up conflicts, and I’ll be happy.

Oh, and I never had an issue with people using throwing weapons in Duel, so it’d be nice to have them back in the game, even though I never used them.

• Good riddance.

Got really tired of being interrupted or having people throw shit at me while dueling.

• That’s when you kill and then kick the interrupter

• @Daiyuki:

That’s when you kill and then kick the interrupter

Bit hard when you take a throwing axe to the back or a random oilpot at your feet and you can’t just stop to see who did it, that, or your dead.

• @manic:

I liked those too. Perhaps someday we can have a duel mechanic similar to jedi knight, where targeting someone with a duel hotkey would challenge them, and if they accepted you would both salute and be invulnerable to outside interference until one of you died (or fled in cowardice).

This is what I wanted and would still prefer although I don’t mind the duel mode personally. It is fun and battles go fast, although I am tired of having to put away my shield every fight. I don’t want the thing, I wish I could just leave it blank.

• @DokB:

@Daiyuki:

That’s when you kill and then kick the interrupter

Bit hard when you take a throwing axe to the back or a random oilpot at your feet and you can’t just stop to see who did it, that, or your dead.

Or they kill you before you can respond… and their troll buddies vote against kicking him, or the majority of players just decide that they want to FFA instead after they see one or two guys doing it.

Even though most of the time I can wipe out the idiot who attacked me in the middle of a Duel, all things listed and considered, I rather just not deal with any of the crap and stick to the new Duel system.