A True Parry Mechanic

• Just wanted to share an idea with the player community and see if the devs would go for implementing this into the game.

After a certain skill level is reached playing Chivalry, many one-on one’s become a trade of blows that can be exhilarating at first, but become a hindrance as you cannot find the opportunity to break your opponents guard. This is most evident when facing a shield-bearing warrior.

A true parry would entail any non-shield bearing player to block an attack, at the expense of a large chunk of stamina, and experience no blockstun. The attacking player would then be able to proceed with follow up attacks within their combo, and would also not experience the effects of blockstun.

This would introduce an entirely new dynamic to the battle system that would increase the pacing of one on ones and give an surrounded player a chance at survival in a particularly harrowing situation.

Small one handed weapon wielders would have the chance to close the distance quickly on a Vanguard swinging recklessly, while Vanguards in turn would be given the opportunity to sidestep around a berserking one hander. All classes would have the opportunity to more quickly assail upon a shield bearing opponent as well. The parry should not be available for shields, as they already give a large advantage when it comes to blocking.

This could be an impressive mechanic that would give each class the chance to turn a reckless opponents assault completely around. It would cost enough stamina that it could only be used twice with a full bar, also causing characters to pay more heed to stamina upkeep.

Thanks for reading and I’d love to hear people’s thoughts on if this should be implemented.

• Sorry my lord, but I completely fail to comprehend what the fuck you were trying to say…

• @Hitom:

Sorry my lord, but I completely fail to comprehend what the fuck you were trying to say…

I’m guessing his idea is to give shield users a “parry” mechanic as well as the regular block but at the cost of stamina and a need for correct timing. Though I see at least one flaw of this the “true parry” could happen on accident and the player may not have the reaction to follow up on it, leaving them only with less stamina. I would suggest an option for a keybind or a toggle.

• @Alyx:

@Hitom:

Sorry my lord, but I completely fail to comprehend what the fuck you were trying to say…

I’m guessing his idea is to give shield users a “parry” mechanic as well as the regular block but at the cost of stamina and a need for correct timing. Though I see at least one flaw of this the “true parry” could happen on accident and the player may not have the reaction to follow up on it, leaving them only with less stamina. I would suggest an option for a keybind or a toggle.

It sounded to me like he wanted the attacker to not get ‘dazed’ or whatever you want to call it when hitting a parry and be able to combo after getting parried. The defender is the one that gets an attack of opportunity after a parry right now.

• Well feints quickly end the blow trading.

Against shield opponents a well placed kick destroys him too.

I like the way it is.

• Also bash enough on the shield and his stamina runs out and your next hit bypasses the shield.

• @gregcau:

Well feints quickly end the blow trading.

But feinting is a broken mechanic.

• @Toans:

@gregcau:

How? Works fine for me and against me.

• @lemonater47:

@Toans:

@gregcau:

How? Works fine for me and against me.

Unless you’re using a shield you will rely on guessing if you face a skilled player who feints.

Feinting in it’s current state is broken.

• @Alyx:

@Hitom:

This would be the heart of the parry. Succeed and you gain a guaranteed hit, choke and lose half your stam bar. It would require ALT+Right Mouse button to initiate and have less of a grace period then a normal block.