[KNIGHT] Furious Flailing

• Welcome back, squires! It is, once again, Ser Fluffy the Bold here to educate you on the proper and correct tactics of the Flail. Why “Flail”? Well…

RULE 1: NEVER USE THE HEAVY FLAIL

The heavy flail ist slower than the standard flail and its damage is not high enough to make up for it. I am the training master and thou shalt listen to me!

RULE 2: THE BUCKLER IS NOT A KITE SHIELD

Archers and Men At Arms can and will poke through your shield defenses. Any good Archer will shoot you in the exposed portions of your body and the bad ones will miss. Even so, the Buckler will not block all attacks, and like so…

RULE 3: YOU HAVE THE FLAIL, PEOPLE ARE SCARED OF YOU

The Flail ist a terrifying weapon. Anyone who sees it will either run away in sheer cowardice or will charge you to bring unto you, in their minds, bloodied death.

RULE 4: USE THE BACKSWING

When thou swings The Flail, thou must follow up with that swing, as most soldiers will run up to you when thou’s first swing misses, and then, the back swing continues and hits them.

RULE 5: FOR THE LOVE OF LORDS, DONT OVERHEAD

The Flails main strength ist its ability to deliver wide, damaging swings. So never overhead.

Now go forth squires and smite. But remeber, killing them ist the second most entertaining thing you’ll do today, reserve number one for bedding their wives!

• Rule 6: Watch out for real knight using good weapons.

• @Slaughtervomit:

Rule 6: Watch out for real knight using good weapons.

knights*

• @SerFluffy:

@Slaughtervomit:

Rule 6: Watch out for real knight using good weapons.

knights*

Oops, forgot my “s”. Thanks for the fix, man! :)

• This could hardly be called a guide or tutorial. The only advices you are giving:

• The Buckler is a small shield.
    • Use combos.
    • Dont’ use overhead.
      Wow. I also think that using the overhead makes sense at times, especially when fighting against a single opponent. These “rules” will make people run around slash spamming.

I hope that someone will add a real tactics guide for the flail and puts more effort into it.

• never overhand?? If you are confident you will land your strike, overhand is an excellent follow up. The flail’s strength is its speed and its sweep, you’re right that you need to combo, in my opinion you need to combo at all times. The overhand strike of the flail is ridiculously fast.

The key to flailing is defensive play (at least in my mind). It is a very defensive setup. As with all classes you need to pay attention and look for openings, and when they come exploit them with a flurry of strikes.

Remember to use your shield bash, its very important to get a little distance between you and a charging man at arms.

• @SerFluffy:

RULE 5: FOR THE LOVE OF LORDS, DONT OVERHEAD

I might point out that this rule should be disregarded whenever possible.

The Flail’s horizontal base damage is 55, while the overhead is 65. This is not an insignificant difference.

With an overhead and a horizontal you will 2 shot Archers to the torso. With just horizontals you will 3 shot them.
    With overheads you will 2 shot MaA to the torso. With horizontals you will 3 shot them.
    With 2 overheads and a horizontal you will 3 shot Knights to the body. With just horizontals you will 4 shot them.

The only target for which this damage can be almost disregarded is Vanguards, who you will 3 shot to the torso either way. HOWEVER since overheads have a good chance of getting a headshot this should not be ignored, as an overhead headshot followed by an overhead torso hit will kill a Vanguard in 2 strikes.

• Never use the Heavy Flail?

Then you don’t get that earth shattering kaboom when you explode a head…. where’s the fun in that?

Think of it as the Maul… swing early.

And over head over shields, maybe even with a jump.

Strafe-door-swing attack around shields as they block… sometimes crouch so you hit along the legs past shields… not at much damage, but a few of those will still kill and at least it will make the other player fall back a bit as they try to figure out wtf just happened, leaving you to give them another swing.

• I gotta totally disagree with rule 3… i think NOONE is scared of you if you use a flail, and instead just see you as a free kill… at least that’s what i see when i see a flailer. It’s really easy to block, the combos just are not fast enough… and it just doesn’t really… do it for me…

I liked flails when they first came out, for curiosity purposes and fun… but just having that buckler shield is enough to make me never want to use it again. I’d rather parry with the handle of my flail than use that POS buckler shield. I can parry better than i can shield with that thing. I honestly think the hitbox is smaller for the buckler than parry, and i’m freaking serious.

I do agree that i seem to like the lighter flail better, but i wouldn’t count out the heavy at all if that’s what you’re into.

• you can’t spell flail without fail :PP

• The idea behind the flail is great. The in-game execution of it makes it play almost exactly like a mace.

When I go up against a Flail I just picture them using a mace in my minds eye and block/parry as I would a 1 handed weapon. The difficult to see ball is thus rendered useless as you are no longer watching out for it.

The flail is indeed a fail weapon as it stands, it needs a serious rework. I’d like to see it have a unique ability of an almost indefinite windup period that continues on whilst the attack button is held using up stamina the longer it is held down. It should also do more damage the longer it is winding up. This way you cannot easily tell when the flail is going from windup to attack and would change it from being a poor mace/sword/hammer to an interesting weapon to use…

• @Toll:

The idea behind the flail is great. The in-game execution of it makes it play almost exactly like a mace.

When I go up against a Flail I just picture them using a mace in my minds eye and block/parry as I would a 1 handed weapon. The difficult to see ball is thus rendered useless as you are no longer watching out for it.

The flail is indeed a fail weapon as it stands, it needs a serious rework. I’d like to see it have a unique ability of an almost indefinite windup period that continues on whilst the attack button is held using up stamina the longer it is held down. It should also do more damage the longer it is winding up. This way you cannot easily tell when the flail is going from windup to attack and would change it from being a poor mace/sword/hammer to an interesting weapon to use…

I love that idea!

I am currently using the heavy flail, I love it mostly because how it looks and the sound it makes and it’s pretty ok when you’ve adapted. But I can’t stand the buckler. I wish you at least got to have a bigger round shield, bucklers are too small, and that the flail acts more interesting, winding it up, like you suggested. Because it looks intimidating, but no one’s using it because it doesn’t act intimidating.

• @SavageBeatings:

but no one’s using it because it doesn’t act intimidating.

The reason no one uses it is because it’s underpowered, just go watch the real stats, hvy flail is just a bad warhammer and the light flail just doesn’t make it, the “fastest knight weapon” isnt THAT fast or lacks on damages. Plus, the buckler, apart from being the buckler, is bugged, the middle is a hole through which hits can pass
    This is an interesting, but old thread about flails, give it a look and youll see
    viewtopic.php?f=84&t=10103&p=93136&hilit=flail#p93136

• I wish there was an option to un-equip that damned buckler…

• I disagree about the heavy flail. But suggest that you need to be cautious about timing and swing manipulation when using it.

• i think that the buckler (if it absolutely needs to be used with flail) should be counter-attack-able. So after you block with the shield, once it hits you can do a counter attack, like any other weapons parry. Be like a shield block attack. This may actually make the flail useful. I wouldn’t say you cannot win, i’ve been TRYING to duel with the flail every once in a while lately to see if i can gain a strategy with it, and so far i’ve won some fights, but i don’t feel it’s consistently effective.

• What are these two statements trying to explain? :|
    @SerFluffy:

Any good Archer will shoot you in the exposed portions of your body and the bad ones will miss.

Anyone who sees it will either run away in sheer cowardice or will charge you to bring unto you, in their minds, bloodied death.

• @Toll:

I agree totally. When the flail was released my only hope was that you could swing it around above your head, like with the sling. Running into battle screaming and swinging a flail around would be amazing.

• Never use the Heavy Flail? Fail! To use the Heavy flail use alternative over head and swing because they have a small blocking path than the normal attacks. Another tip be in hugging distance. Use block immediately, because why not? EkTBE5cYr7Y

• I’ve been doing quite well with the flail, use the over head, stab overhead overhead screws up so many people. The swing does such low damage and is just as predictable as any weapon. the regular flail 2 hits vanguards in the head. Another thing don’t be consistent keep them off guard wait after blocking a second to counter attack, If they have a shield, bash it, jump bashes work great, and then overhead away

Alt overhead stab combo to a regular overhead.