Sling needs a buff or two

• These are all ideas for buffing the Sling WHILE USING the Lead Ball
    I haven’t had enough time to test the Sling using Pebbles

To be viable in competitive play and just normal play the Sling will require some buffs. As of now the Sling has a windup of 2.4 seconds using Lead Balls until it does maximum damage (4 shotting a knight).
    That means it will take you 9.6 seconds to get the minimum amount of shots off to kill a knight. Now if we add a potential of 2 extra missed shots that makes it 14.4 seconds to kill one knight… If we compare that to a Warbow’s drawback of 1.4 seconds, that means you can 2 shot a knight in 2.8 seconds if you land both of your shots while using Bodkin Arrows. We’ll add 1 missed shot with the Warbow since it seems easier to hit your targets with the bow instead of the sling, so the total of time it takes to kill a knight with the Warbow is 4.2 seconds. Now you can obviously tell there is a difference here in time and damage so let’s get on to my suggestions about how to make the sling a better weapon

The Sling should be able to 3 shot Knights and Vanguards with all torso hits

It should 2 shot MaA’s and Archers in 2 shots to the torso.

It should 1 shot MaA’s and Archers to the head.

It should 2 shot Knights and Vanguards to the head.

It should have a windup time of 1.6 seconds

Video of a sling thrower
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXhdgXAlszg

As you can see, this guy is actually throwing his sling with accuracy and power in a quickly manner. Now that you see how fast you can use a sling, 1.6 seconds sounds pretty reasonable, eh?

Thanks for reading, hope this gave some people some info/ideas.

• Personally, I love the sling. I hate the release being so much later than when I release my button, though! Also, the damage is a bit crap. Overall I feel like a free kill while using this thing.

Keep BUFF the exploding heads animation for headshots, though!!!

• @Slaughtervomit:

BUFF the exploding heads animation for headshots, though!!!

• I think is worth looking at. It won’t overtake the warbow or xbox for any real use as it is.

• Headshots with leadball should do a lot more damage I reckon.

I’ve read ancient reports from Roman era battles against Barbarians and how leadball slings could smash peoples heads apart with ease, even through armor (not full plate like a Knights but easily the Archers or the MaA’s helmet).

• @Tree0ctopus:

The Sling should be able to 3 shot Knights and Vanguards with all torso hits

It should 2 shot MaA’s and Archers in 2 shots to the torso.

It should 1 shot MaA’s and Archers to the head.

It should 2 shot Knights and Vanguards to the head.

It should have a windup time of 1.6 seconds

While I agree the Sling is underpowered, these numbers are a little ridiculous. One-shotting anything is a no-no, even with a headshot. To keep it distinct, the Sling ought to be a fast, low-damage weapon great for harassment.

@Tree0ctopus:

To be viable in competitive play and just normal play the Sling will require some buffs. As of now the Sling has a windup of 2.4 seconds using Lead Balls until it does maximum damage (4 shotting a knight).
    That means it will take you 9.6 seconds to get the minimum amount of shots off to kill a knight. Now if we add a potential of 2 extra missed shots that makes it 14.4 seconds to kill one knight… If we compare that to a Warbow’s drawback of 1.4 seconds, that means you can 2 shot a knight in 2.8 seconds if you land both of your shots while using Bodkin Arrows.

I’d like to point this bit out as it should be the most jarring. Right now, with a mere 20 ammo and a ridiculously slow windup time, it does a pitiful amount of damage compared to the Shortbow, which has 35 ammo. There’s just no comparison. And if we bring the Warbow into this (which is generally considered slightly OP) then the numbers just get whacky.

Even firing at maximum rate of fire (with pitiful damage) your DPS is atrocious compared to any other ranged primary.

I don’t think the Sling needs just a buff. I think it needs a complete rework over its mechanics.

Firstly, the windup mechanic needs to be removed. It’s not only unrealistic (and looks just plain goofy) it’s poor for gameplay, as it counter-intuitively reduces the effective DPS for a weapon that by all rights should have excellent DPS with a low HTK, among other benefits.

Secondly, I strongly feel the Sling would be helped by splitting it into two weapons: the “Light Sling” and the “Heavy Sling,” which use Pebbles and Lead Balls respectively. This allows one to use a Buckler in addition to choosing ammo types.

Finally, I think Lead Balls (or Heavy Sling) deserves at least 35 ammo, if not 40. Combined with an increase in rate of fire, one would chew through ammo quickly in a combat situation, removing the problem of an effectively unlimited supply.

• The Sling is by its logic very weak incomparing to Bows, Crossbows and Javelin by damage. Although the Sling should however have the option to fire much faster than any of these three catagorized weapons.

Unlike other weapons, Sling has the option to fire immediately but will deal less damage and go less further. This is the so called “Tap-fire” Although it never appears to work for me, its always this slow wind up before throwing, I don’t know if thats intended.

The second fire option is a winded up sling throw, by holding down the LMB(default key) you will begin to start swingin the Sling around your head in a helicopter style (yes, there is in fact a way to do that with sling for more stopping power and range) From the moment you start winding up your Sling, the crosshair will noticingly slowly start to decrease, and by that you may see how the sling is winded up.
    Wait till the three crosshair lines to touch the center to get max damage and range. That’s how the Sling was intended to be, but both firing modes feel like same, I thought the tap-fire would be a very fast throw.

The only difference between the ammunition is that the pebbles gives you infinite amount of pebbles, while the lead balls has a limited amount of ammunition, but deals more damage and goes further.

I believe that the Sling in damage wise is pretty alright for its weapon, but the animation and delay upon throw can be so confusing. My suggestion would that the Sling should first enter into a “fast firing” mode by having the player simply winding it up in a obliquely line as if you would fire your sling at once, but if you keep holding the LMB(default key) in and make it go past that phase, it should go to the mode where it begins winding it up and having it spin above their head till they relesae it.

That’s my idea for the sling how to make it do-able.

• I find it funny to see this thread here after being on 2 different servers with people going “sling is so OP”.

I hate archers and all projectile classes can go sod off in my opinion, but the infinite ammo does seem to make the sling a very interesting tool for prolonged forays about the map.
    And I’m not sure if the actual “run into the throw” added power exists or not, but if so, skill based damage might be a powerful tool?