Shield-kick delay is BAD

• If you get kicked when using a shield, you are dazed for longer before you can block.

This is putting knights at a huge disadvantage, because it becomes incredibly easy to follow a kick with a swing and pretty much be guaranteed the hit on your opponent.

You can’t make both the kick AND the following swing completely unblockable. It puts shielded knights at a huge disadvantage against faster weapons, especially MAA. Knight’s can’t block the kick, can’t block the following blow, can’t move out of range of the weapon.

• If you’re getting kicked with your shield up, it’s because you’re turtling. You can avoid getting dazed by dropping your guard before the kick makes contact. And now that kicks are slower, you have more time to release the guard.

• It is real easy to avoid if you only raise your shield when an attack is clearly headed for you and it is in range to hit you.

Holding your shield up and moving into your enemy is not what you want to be doing anymore. I have used a shield primarily the entire time I have played this game, it was a good change.

• Experience shield users do not hold their shields up when they see a player trying to kick them. Kicks have a whine up time added and has a short range, so unless they face hug you and you are “turtling” with a shield, it shouldn’t be a problem.

• @Kenuric:

It is real easy to avoid if you only raise your shield when an attack is clearly headed for you and it is in range to hit you.

So whats the point in using a shield in this situation when you are forced to use it just like parry but don’t get a faster counterattack.

• @BGrey:

@Kenuric:

It is real easy to avoid if you only raise your shield when an attack is clearly headed for you and it is in range to hit you.

So whats the point in using a shield in this situation when you are forced to use it just like parry but don’t get a faster counterattack.

The use of a shield is mainly to block arrows and not turtle and block all attacks.

• @BGrey:

You are safer from feints and you can more easily defend against multiple attackers. A shield on your back is also useful as it gives a little arrow protection.

• @Helgeran:

@BGrey:

You are safer from feints and you can more easily defend against multiple attackers. A shield on your back is also useful as it gives a little arrow protection.

With the changes to kick in the last patch, as long as you don’t turtle you can usually see it coming if your not facehugging.

• It’s supposed to stop turtling. If I’m fighting someone hiding behind a tower shield, it can take forever to finish the fight. Kicks counter that. I use shields too sometimes (because I don’t find the randomness of feinting to be fun), but I almost never get kicked, because I don’t just turtle behind it - instead I use it like a parry - briefly held up in reaction to an incoming strike.

• Holding a shield up is a legitimate strategy, and that is really the entire point to a larger shield. An aggressive shield-user might lower and raise their shields like a parry (mainly for better vision and reaction), but other players (like those that prefer a defensive posture in a fight) will hold their shield up and be a bit more conservative with their hits. Two different playstyles, both are were equally viable.

Unless someone is exploiting using the third-person view with their shield, then you have an advantage in field-of-vision against the shield-user, especially if they are more defensive and hold their shield up.

• @Helgeran:

@BGrey:

You are safer from feints and you can more easily defend against multiple attackers

Safer from multiple attackers when there are more people around to kick you? As for feints I disagree completely, that was true before feinting into a kick gave you a free hit.

• Needs to be fixed. it is really bad. Gives MaA another advantage. They were already buffed, then they had this as extra icing on the cake

• The use of a shield is mainly to block arrows and not turtle and block all attacks.

That’s where you are wrong. Shield is there to block (all) incoming strikes. It’s supposed to offer better defensive capabilities that a regular parry.

With the changes to kick in the last patch, as long as you don’t turtle you can usually see it coming if your not facehugging.

Facehuggers can be quite the problem - it forces you to spin around with your shield to block all attacks and it’s very easy to disorient the shield-bearer who must be precise while blocking. I will have to test out shield bashing though, maybe it can alleviate the problem of face-hugging a bit…

• @BGrey:

@Helgeran:

@BGrey:

Safer from multiple attackers when there are more people around to kick you? As for feints I disagree completely, that was true before feinting into a kick gave you a free hit.

Kicks have limited range. If you’re a MAA with shield just keep distance and dodge for strikes and if you’re a knight use your reach. A 2 v 1 should not be a fair fight.

• @Helgeran:

Kicks have limited range. If you’re a MAA with shield just keep distance and dodge for strikes and if you’re a knight use your reach. A 2 v 1 should not be a fair fight.

The point was that the shield still provides no advantage…… you say that an MaA with shield should avoid using it (and they can keep distance and doge better without one), and a knight should use his reach (which is better without a shield).

• I hate the kick. Originally, the devs implied that a daze kick would only be a ‘freehit’ provided that the attacker had a quick weapon and used some footwork - unfortunately it’s much more punishing than it seems. You get hit with a daze kick and anything short of maul-like wind up times can hit you during the daze.

Can’t we get a reduction on it? 0.2 seconds?

• @Sir:

I hate the kick. Originally, the devs implied that a daze kick would only be a ‘freehit’ provided that the attacker had a quick weapon and used some footwork - unfortunately it’s much more punishing than it seems. You get hit with a daze kick and anything short of maul-like wind up times can hit you during the daze.

Can’t we get a reduction on it? 0.2 seconds?

no they can’t
    the daze was only extended by .1 seconds

it’s possible to get your shield up before any weapon is capable of getting a hit in

• @BB:

it’s possible to get your shield up before any weapon is capable of getting a hit in

That is false. If you have your shield up and I kick you, following with a SoW attack, I will definitely hit you. Special daze is 1.2 seconds which is more than enough for most weapons.

• @ChuckingIt:

@BB:

That is false. If you have your shield up and I kick you, following with a SoW attack, I will definitely hit you. Special daze is 1.2 seconds which is more than enough for most weapons.

have you tried it?

because I have and I couldn’t get a hit in on the special daze using a 1H
    he’d just barely get the shield up

granted he had to mash block to do it fast enough

and yeah I already know it’s 1.2
    regular daze that has been in forever is 1.1

• @BB:

have you tried it?

because I have and I couldn’t get a hit in on the special daze using a 1H
    he’d just barely get the shield up

granted he had to mash block to do it fast enough

and yeah I already know it’s 1.2
    regular daze that has been in forever is 1.1

I have tried it, and honestly the kicks are BS.

MAA with shield when stunned will get hit even to a greatsword, and i’m pretty sure some weapons slower than that will still get through. That means, if a greatsword vanguard kicks and stuns me with my shield up then overheads, its A ONE HIT KILL. How fair is that?

Also, the numbers matter little because you can’t block at the very moment after the stun ends. Its basically down to timing your block right, otherwise you’ll have to spam block, which does fuck all if your opponent is faster than you anyway.