Double Axe

• Double axe speed is to much little for his range, and damage are not very hight compared to other 2
    Hand weapon

When we see skin of this weapon we can think it’s will be very powerfull, but no

Messer have same damage for really better range and very little speed difference

Double axe damage must be push a 70% like vangard 3rd sword
    Or increase speed to 60%

• double axe has 80% dmg
    u want it to have 60% speed, comparable to the new bearded axe
    seems fair and balanced

….

• Bearded Axe is now a top tier weapon. Not the best range, but plenty of damage and very quick.

I’d love to see some love for the Double Axe though, that thing looks fucking vicious.

• I too think it should hit a lot harder, being the shortest twohander in the game. Right now its damage output can’t compare to the pole axe’s piercing and blunt attacks, and the bearded axe is just a bit weaker but much faster.
    Overheads should kill archers/MAAs on head and two-hit knights on torso. This would differentiate it from the other axes and make it a shorter, weaker, faster alternative to the maul.

• considering its terrible, terrible reach and how slow it is, it should onehit every class in the game to the torso to be atleast somewhat viable lol

• Double axe damage is 63% in overhead and not 80%
    53% in slashing
    24% pike
    34% range
    50% speed

Not able to onshoot archer if archer move (don’t understand why it’s did it ingame)

Compared to messer 60% overhead
    50% slashing
    38% pike
    speed 38%
    44% range

Just said use double axe is useless when messer do all better

• the double axe does seem very weak for the short range it has - and it’s so hard to close the gap between your opponent because all they need to do is casually walk backwards and you’ve missed. I’d say that the poleaxe is outright better (not statistically of course, but practically yes)

• @shayologo:

Double axe damage is 63% in overhead and not 80%
    53% in slashing
    24% pike
    34% range
    50% speed

Not able to onshoot archer if archer move (don’t understand why it’s did it ingame)

Compared to messer 60% overhead
    50% slashing
    38% pike
    speed 38%
    44% range

Just said use double axe is useless when messer do all better

I’m not sure where these numbers are coming from. I presume they’re percentages from the in-game loadout screen, which are arbitrary and not useful in a balance discussion. Please refer to Martin’s Spreadsheet for actual numbers.

Other than that, most of the conclusions drawn here are accurate; the Messer and Double Axe both one-shot archers in the head, while the Messer enjoys more speed, reach, and the ability to use a shield (with modified numbers, of course).

I feel it would be fair to grant the Double Axe the ability to one-shot MaAs in the head (and by virtue, likely allowing it to one-shot archers in the chest). I think this was actually the case before MaA got a Blunt Armor buff (given the Double Axe deals SwingBlunt on its overhead).

It may also be fair to give the Double Axe a better Slash attack; right now it deals 10 less than its Overhead. Pulling the Slash closer to the Overhead might give it some uniqueness over the Messer.

Other than that, buffing this weapon’s reach or speed would push it too close to the Bearded Axe. Let’s buff what it should be good at - raw damage.

By the way, I feel that in addition to this buff, the Maul deserves a slight buff to its Overhead to restore its ability to one-shot MaA in the chest. That’ll help mitigate the redundancy between these two weapons. And as a last note, it’s worth pointing out that the Maul has slightly better reach than the Double Axe. (source)

• I think that the double axe should have 5% more speed, and 10% more range.

• They should give the Double axe slight buffs, but also give it a non combat buff as well: an additional animation.

Horizontal strikes to the torso that kill a player lops them in half just above the waist. The lower body portion should fall over, while the upper body should crawl using its arms for about 2-3 arm lengths, moaning, before succumbing to the darkness that is death.

• Worst weapon in the game. Needs some fix. Interesting parry combo perhaps?

• The damage just seems low for the ridiculous windup time. If it would one shot smaller guys better then it would be fantastic. Everybody else has it right - the Double Axe is raw damage, so let’s not buff range or speed, let’s just get the damage buffed to make the DA the tyrant it is supposed to be.

• I say make it the slashing equal to maul. Slash damage that one shots anything under knight in head and MAA/archer in torso. I’m talking about overheads, of course. :)

• It needs more speed because of its short range. There’s just nothing you can do reliably when you’re being flinched left right and centre because you’re forced to be up close and personal.

• @Martin:

It needs more speed because of its short range. There’s just nothing you can do reliably when you’re being flinched left right and centre because you’re forced to be up close and personal.

Don’t you think this will just make it into the Bearded Axe 2.0?

Sure, we can give it some speed, but I would rather see only a little speed and a lot of damage, because that’s what it’s supposed to do.

I’d like to see its Slash be buffed to 95 damage, and its Overhead buffed to 111 damage (so it can one-shot archers in the torso). Combined with a slight speed buff (or not this would make it an excellent anti-light weapon, while still being a fair bit slow and only having the range of the Broadsword.

While those number buffs look huge, I’m primarily thinking in terms of hits-to-kill, and this does little for its ability to kill heavier classes. The Bearded Axe will have speed and reach in this regard. I’m actually concerned these damage buffs aren’t enough.

I could play with the numbers until it took Vanguards down to 5 hp (one-kick range) but even if I did, I think I’d rather see the devs buff it one step at a time.

To differentiate it from the Maul, we should look to make its Slash attack a reliable and powerful option. I’d also like to reiterate that I feel it’d be cool if one of the attacks was Swing, to represent a sharpened edge and a blunt edge.

As a final changelog, this is my idea:

Double Axe Slash increased to 95 from 85
    Double Axe Slash changed to Swing from SwingBlunt
    Double Axe Overhead increased to 111 from 95

Effects:
    Slash now 1hs Archers and MaA in the head (but is less effective against heavy targets)
    Overhead now 1hs Archers in the torso and MaA in the head

I feel this would give the Double Axe a unique, useful niche as a light-class killer, as opposed to the Maul which is a more universal heavy hitter.

This also means we shouldn’t have to buff the speed, so we’re not getting too close to the Bearded Axe. The damage is so high that the weapon is rewarding to hit with.

• @NikolaiLev:

Effects:
    Slash now 1hs Archers and MaA in the head (but is less effective against heavy targets)

I feel this would give the Double Axe a unique, useful niche as a light-class killer, as opposed to the Maul which is a more universal heavy hitter.

This also means we shouldn’t have to buff the speed, so we’re not getting too close to the Bearded Axe. The damage is so high that the weapon is rewarding to hit with.

Excellent, I love it.

• @Tankcommander:

@NikolaiLev:

Effects:

Excellent, I love it.

Me too, as long as my maul isn’t thrown under the bus :lol:

• @Slaughtervomit:

I tried figuring out a buff for the Maul. There is no possible way to now make the Maul one-shot MaAs in the chest, but not Knights in the head. The Knight’s Blunt armor plus a headshot modifier is equal to the MaA’s blunt armor. So any Blunt damage weapon will do the same damage to an MaA in the torso as a Knight in the head.

This is just a consequence of the MaA Blunt resistance buff. Which was a buff I’m fine with, as all weapons were equally effective against him prior to it. The only way we could avoid this is either revert the buff (undesireable) or give him .05 Blunt Armor, and nerf his Swing armor by .05 or .10.

• @NikolaiLev:

@Slaughtervomit:

I tried figuring out a buff for the Maul. There is no possible way to now make the Maul one-shot MaAs in the chest, but not Knights in the head. The Knight’s Blunt armor plus a headshot modifier is equal to the MaA’s blunt armor. So any Blunt damage weapon will do the same damage to an MaA in the torso as a Knight in the head.

This is just a consequence of the MaA Blunt resistance buff. Which was a buff I’m fine with, as all weapons were equally effective against him prior to it. The only way we could avoid this is either revert the buff (undesireable) or give him .05 Blunt Armor, and nerf his Swing armor by .05 or .10.

I’m fine with mauls one shotting knights :lol:

• @Slaughtervomit:

I’m fine with mauls one shotting knights :lol:

I might be too, but it would need to come at the cost of substantial nerfs to the Maul elsewhere. Slash damage, Thrust damage, and it’d need to be even slower.

Suggested Changelog:

Maul Slash reduced to 95 from 100
    Maul Overhead increased to 135 from 125
    Maul Stab reduced to 35 from 40
    Maul Overhead Windup speed increased to .725 from .70
    Maul Combo speeds increased to .875 from .85
    Maul Overhead Recovery speed increased to 1.225 from 1.2

This has several effects:
    Nerfs:

• The Maul Slash can no longer one-shot Archers in the head.
    • A Maul Slash + Thrust, even both to the head, cannot kill a Knight, making it reliant on its Overhead
    • As above, reduced damage and speeds reduce the Maul’s versatility
    • The Maul is now slightly slower

Buff:

• The Overhead can now one-shot MaA in the chest and Knights in the head

The nerfs might be excessive. But giving the Overhead so much power makes it extremely specialized; I feel such blanket nerfs are important to allow the Maul to have such specialty.