Duel Mode ruined the game for me.

• This is gonna sound pretty stupid to you guys, but I really preferred the game before duel mode.

I mean, in theory duel mode is fun, but there are issues with it that have made it kinda unfun for me, to the extent where I just don’t feel like playing chivalry anymore.

I guess part of it is I can’t take the pain. I often find myself matched against a hopelessly better player, with a 2/1 w/l on duel, who steamrollers me. It’s not at all fun being killed twice in succesion, no matter how much you try to escape. Perhaps a version where its best out of one, not out of three, would mean if you were out matched you’d only have to fight them once.

I also find recording the duel record is pretty grim. I used to think of myself as a pretty good player and often scored 1st on the scoreboard, but with dueling I find that I’m actually really pretty shit. My w/l is like….30/37. Not terrible but, it’s annoying. The fact is I don’t mind losing, but the record annoys me, especially as other players see it. I would understand if your record was used to match you fairly against players of similar skill, but it isn’t. I find myself in duels against guys with like 200/100 and get hopelessly smashed.

This might just be bellyaching on my side, but the maps seem to favor militia a lot. I enjoy playing knight and vanguard. Knights are fine on the maps since they can get close up and in your face without too much difficulty, but I find as a vanguard, when I am up against a miltiaman I rarely win, as the maps are often so cluttered that my weapons bounce off things. On the other hand, however, the constrained proportions also make it hard for milita to dodge, so maybe I’m just shit against them.

The purpose of this mini whine-essay is this. I would like it a lot for:

1. Being able to wipe your duel slate clean and start over, should you want to?

2. Unranked duels would be great! I would find them a lot more enjoyable if I could just fight without worrying about my w/l record. I know that’s stupid but I guess I’m OCD about such things.

• The obvious solution is to play other gamemodes. But if you want to become a better duelist, you better keep practicing.

About stats: You don’t feel they reflect you general skill level and are ashamed of them? Well, over time they roughly reflect your duel skill level, given that you don’t mostly fight new players. Nothing to be ashamed off, there are many players who are new to duels. People may even underestimate you, from which you can profit!

Remember that really good duelists probably played duels (best nights ever, FFA server, people challenging face to face, discussing fights) on a regular basis long before it was implemented as a gamemode. Personally i did this a lot, but some of my favorite servers got trolled a lot so i started playing with teams. Right now my duel skills are approximately 10 ranks lower than my nominal rank.

Unranked servers? I don’t see the point. Just keep practicing and you will at least be able to make the good players sweat.

Last tip: Don’t take this game too seriously. Think of it as a comedy :)

• But you know that you don’t have to play Duel? If you don’t like Duel, play one of the other 6 modes. Life is simple :-?

• Duell Mode is just freekill heaven atm
    I get only one out of 10 matches against someone in the top5.
    This results in that there are like 3 guys having 10-0 tying for victory.
    Maps are omg, how could they fuck this up so bad.
    How hard could it have been to make a 10x10meter room with nothing in it.

just my 2cents

• you just have to train much more yourself

• Duel mode is rather tedious right now in the current game’s state.

• 1 handers now have double reach for some reason, so everyone is spamming it.
    • Feinting in its current state makes it a complete coin flip game.
    • Kick/Bash now takes way too long.

So what happens is every lamer now use either MAA with 1h and turtle shield, or Knight with shield and falchion/warhammer.
    Duel mode is boring right now, if they fix those things, it would be much better. It would be about skill instead of just spam and dice roll.

• Some stat reset wouldn’t be bad at all (i have 85% of the duels won, so lol I’m not asking it for me) or just some unranked matches to have fun. Joning a duel server and thinking “I must not die to not ruin my 85% win ratio” is more a work than a game. Cheers.

• @The:

Duel mode is rather tedious right now in the current game’s state.

So what happens is every lamer now use either MAA with 1h and turtle shield, or Knight with shield and falchion/warhammer.
    Duel mode is boring right now, if they fix those things, it would be much better. It would be about skill instead of just spam and dice roll.

I disagree with what you say about feints being coin flips. In my experience you have just enough time to wait to see if your enemy is going to feint or not. You can then wait for their second swing (because they feinted) and block that, or be quick on the mark and block their first attack.

• @TheFunnySide:

How hard could it have been to make a 10x10meter room with nothing in it

This quote almost makes me angry. Using the terrain is what makes this game so much fun, especially knocking people down a cliff but also escaping from a bad position via a drop or using a pillar to protect yourself against swings. I hated duels when it was FFA arena only because there was nothing tactical or dynamic about that map.

The duel maps are varied and beautiful! Try fighting between the saws on the sawmill map or tricking a person into overheading the sign on the frosty cottage one.

• @NylePudding:

@The:

Duel mode is rather tedious right now in the current game’s state.

I disagree with what you say about feints being coin flips. In my experience you have just enough time to wait to see if your enemy is going to feint or not. You can then wait for their second swing (because they feinted) and block that, or be quick on the mark and block their first attack.

Only newcomers thinks it’s fine, it isn’t.
    All I have to do to make you parry is to make the feint last or use a fast weapon. This way you have absolutely no way of knowing.
    Plus with the exploit of “look down overhead”, there’s absolutely no difference of speed between a feint and a strike.

• I understand duel mode is an option, however it is an option I don’t enjoy but could.

I think having ranked duels is great for those who want to test their mettle, but I don’t. On the other hand, I like to have a good score, and when I play these ranked matches I feel pressured and don’t have much fun as a result.

I just think an easy solution would be to have ranked and unraked options for duellers, more options is never a bad thing.

While you’re at it, two v two duels could be fun.

• i never was good at chivalry, especially in to or ffa, as you would be focusing on someone when suddenly a vanguard comes swinging his zweihänder from behind, killing both of you, which really bored me after a while so i stopped playing. when i read about duel mode on facebook i immediately wanted to try it, so i joined a server and got smashed every time. But at least i knew it was because i sucked and not because someone else came into the fight unexpectedly, so it really didn’t bother me that for the first couple of days i had a w/l of <0.5. Once i found a setup that worked for me though (vanguard with claymore and hatchet) i started to win duels, slowly catching up on my w/l. now i think i have something like 110/130, so it’s just practice.
    anyway, the point i’m trying to make is that you should find a class you’re comfortable with and stick with it until you get better. and the suggestion that you should fight everyone only once is just stupid imo, it just doesn’t show who is better, lucky wins would have a much bigger impact on your w/l (if you care about that). with best of 3 you still can turn a fight around after a lucky win.
    I love duel mode as it is, they should just let you see player’s ping and make the menu a bit more responsive and fix the problems with the chat

• I loved
    W/l = like 300/80

• Many duel server kept ffa dueling so feel free to join them.

• @VoodaGod:

i never was good at chivalry, especially in to or ffa, as you would be focusing on someone when suddenly a vanguard comes swinging his zweihänder from behind, killing both of you, which really bored me after a while so i stopped playing. when i read about duel mode on facebook i immediately wanted to try it, so i joined a server and got smashed every time. But at least i knew it was because i sucked and not because someone else came into the fight unexpectedly

Well…to be fair, you need to learn how to deal with people coming from behind you… Often I got put in a suicide situation were 3 enemy were surrounding me and ended up being the winner.

Exploit the situation. make them hit each other. People usually have no common sense and will gang on you. hitting each other. all you need to do is run in between them, they will kill each other. simple as that.

Or you can simply use guerilla tactic, hit and run. Hit one, run away, look behind you every 5-10 secs. make it so that they are in front of you if you have a long range weapon. just keep backing up slowly towards your friendly’s.

The fact that you say : “But at least i knew it was because i sucked and not because someone else came into the fight unexpectedly” means that you suck ( dont take offence here, just using your own words ) because Good players will know how to fight when surrounded. It just take time to practice.

As for OP, Duel mode ruined the game for me too. I prefered the old duel mode on homemade servers.

• What is it with people wanting to quit the WHOLE game because they don’'t get on with an additional new mode? Just don’t play the new mode. You don’t need to quit the whole game.

• @Wangle:

This is gonna sound pretty stupid to you guys, but I really preferred the game before duel mode.

I mean, in theory duel mode is fun, but there are issues with it that have made it kinda unfun for me, to the extent where I just don’t feel like playing chivalry anymore.

I guess part of it is I can’t take the pain. I often find myself matched against a hopelessly better player, with a 2/1 w/l on duel, who steamrollers me. It’s not at all fun being killed twice in succesion, no matter how much you try to escape. Perhaps a version where its best out of one, not out of three, would mean if you were out matched you’d only have to fight them once.

I also find recording the duel record is pretty grim. I used to think of myself as a pretty good player and often scored 1st on the scoreboard, but with dueling I find that I’m actually really pretty shit. My w/l is like….30/37. Not terrible but, it’s annoying. The fact is I don’t mind losing, but the record annoys me, especially as other players see it. I would understand if your record was used to match you fairly against players of similar skill, but it isn’t. I find myself in duels against guys with like 200/100 and get hopelessly smashed.

This might just be bellyaching on my side, but the maps seem to favor militia a lot. I enjoy playing knight and vanguard. Knights are fine on the maps since they can get close up and in your face without too much difficulty, but I find as a vanguard, when I am up against a miltiaman I rarely win, as the maps are often so cluttered that my weapons bounce off things. On the other hand, however, the constrained proportions also make it hard for milita to dodge, so maybe I’m just shit against them.

The purpose of this mini whine-essay is this. I would like it a lot for:

1. Being able to wipe your duel slate clean and start over, should you want to?

2. Unranked duels would be great! I would find them a lot more enjoyable if I could just fight without worrying about my w/l record. I know that’s stupid but I guess I’m OCD about such things.

Purposefully miss a stab, then jump + combo into an overhand (with a sword preferably, or perhaps bardiche) and you will catch 95% of the MAA off guard and kill them

• Jump + stab at feet will also beat alot.

Gotta time this shit right or the MAA will just interupt

• Duel Mode injected new blood into the game for me and is the best thing to have ever happened to Chivalry, IMO.

We now have a competitive 1v1 mode, free of trolls, free of backstabbers, or random arrows. We can fight and whoever is the most skilled wins, barring balance issues that can always be patched up.

It’s like playing a new game almost. I love it.

You WILL run into skilled players in this mode, and I think 1v1s attract them, because good players want to test their skills in a controlled environment.

Once remaining balance issues are ironed out, join up to a Duel server with good ping and you can rest assured that your skill is being measured.

As far as resetting stats, don’t really care. That’s nothing to do with the game, only ego.

It would be nice if the Duel mode had a better matching system as I do sometimes get matched over and over with players who I keep beating down, while the other good players are never matched with me.