Torn Banner, Here are my criticisms.

• Some praise to start off:

Chivalry still is the only game I’ve ever played with a decent and challenging melee system and I will continue to play it. Your little indie startup somehow managed to come up with ideas that the industry giants have been failing to produce for decades. I think it’s fantastic that you’re releasing content updates for free for a game that isn’t even full price and has been on sale for half of its lifetime in the age of selling “DLC” (formerly known as patches) 1 day after the game ships.

Now, the bad stuff:

I started playing in December. Everything was unpolished, the game was underperforming when my specs should be overkill for it and there were glitches all over the place. But that’s okay, it’s an indie game, that stuff would get fixed. Or would it?

It is now February, the new major patch was deployed and everything has gotten worse. You have not only failed to fix but actually somehow managed to exacerbate the core issues that have been plaguing this game for months:

• Optimization is TERRIBLE. I’m running an i5-2500k and an HD6950 with unlocked extra shaders. A game with the (lack of) visual quality that Chivalry has should be running (I don’t know what I was thinking, Chivalry is actually quite beautiful at max. I was probably already playing at low settings at that point.) With that hardware, Chivalry should run at a constant 60fps at max settings. In fact, I get frequent fps drops on most maps and constant low fps on some. Maps like Citadel and the new CTF version of Ruins aren’t even playable.

• Command queueing hasn’t been fixed. As an absolutely intolerable, game-breaking bug, it’s ruining the competitiveness of the game. I can’t think of any legitimate reason why you didn’t fix it several months ago.

• Hitting someone in the recovery phase does not stagger them. I don’t know if this is a bug or a bad design choice, but either way it’s pretty much beyond discussion that it’s terrible.

• Joining Steam friends’ games still doesn’t work 9 out of 10 times without having to restart the game. Every other game on Steam got this right. Why haven’t you?

• The server browser. Oh god the server browser. Even disregarding the ever present “I can’t see any servers at all” issue, it’s simply terrible. There is no way to filter servers by region. Most servers don’t show up most of the time. The ping information is hit and miss.

• Servers. Official servers have been laggy (server performance) and high-ping (>40, server connection) since I started playing. Now, after the patch, most of them don’t even show up in the server browser. As of writing this, I can’t see a single(!) official tdm server and the only official servers I can see with a decent ping AT ALL are 2-3 classic servers. I have an excellent internet connection, getting pings between 6 and 20 in all other games I play.

• Pretty much all of the new content might as well not have been released. Citadel is hardly playable, duel mode has a clunky and unengaging interface to the point that “duel only” FFA servers are superior, all new weapons are vastly underpowered (with the exception of maybe the polehammer) and to top it off you deleted everybody’s config and veteran helmets. I don’t see how it is possible to miss any of that in QA, but missing all of it is completely unfathomable to me.

Edit: Duel mode is actually much better than I used to think. On a more general note, please also read my other posts in this thread (some positive, some negative) and keep in mind that while some of these issues are quite severe, Chivalry is still an incredibly fun and innovative game. I haven’t been this in love with an FPS in a loooong time.

• @Mantrum:

Some praise to start off:

Chivalry still is the only game I’ve ever played with a decent and challenging melee system and I will continue to play it. Your little indie startup somehow managed to come up with ideas that the industry giants have been failing to produce for decades. I think it’s fantastic that you’re releasing content updates for free for a game that isn’t even full price and has been on sale for half of its lifetime in the age of selling “DLC” (formerly known as patches) 1 day after the game ships.

Now, the bad stuff:

I started playing in December. Everything was unpolished, the game was underperforming when my specs should be overkill for it and there were glitches all over the place. But that’s okay, it’s an indie game, that stuff would get fixed. Or would it?

It is now February, the new major patch was deployed and everything has gotten worse. You have not only failed to fix but actually somehow managed to exacerbate the core issues that have been plaguing this game for months:

• Optimization is TERRIBLE. I’m running an i5-2500k and an HD6950 with unlocked extra shaders. A game with the (lack of) visual quality that Chivalry has should be running at a constant 60fps at max settings. In fact, I get frequent fps drops on most maps and constant low fps on some. Maps like Citadel and the new CTF version of Ruins aren’t even playable.

I have your same config, all at max just turned off dynamic shadows and it runs ALWAYS al 62 FPS. Maybe it-s something wrong with your PC.

• Command queueing hasn’t been fixed. As an absolutely intolerable, game-breaking bug, it’s ruining the competitiveness of the game. I can’t think of any legitimate reason why you didn’t fix it several months ago.

Agree but still doesn’t get me mad, happens 1 or 2 times every 3 matches

• Hitting someone in the recovery phase does not stagger them. I don’t know if this is a bug or a bad design choice, but either way it’s pretty much beyond discussion that it’s terrible.

I can agree

• Joining Steam friends’ games still doesn’t work 9 out of 10 times without having to restart the game. Every other game on Steam got this right. Why haven’t you?

Totally agree, this MUST be fixed.

• The server browser. Oh god the server browser. Even disregarding the ever present “I can’t see any servers at all” issue, it’s simply terrible. There is no way to filter servers by region. Most servers don’t show up most of the time. The ping information is hit and miss.

If this game has something really BAD, WRONG and EVIL, its the server browser. Agree. With the last patch it got better, still doesn’t work 100% of the times (50% let’s say)

• Servers. Official servers have been laggy (server performance) and high-ping (>40, server connection) since I started playing. Now, after the patch, most of them don’t even show up in the server browser. As of writing this, I can’t see a single(!) official tdm server and the only official servers I can see with a decent ping AT ALL are 2-3 classic servers. I have an excellent internet connection, getting pings between 6 and 20 in all other games I play.

I’m from North Italy, my usual ping is 70/80 (40/50 in BF3, 60 usual in other games) and like me there is the other 90% of the players so lol, don’t be a kid if you can’t play with 6/20 ping.

• Pretty much all of the new content might as well not have been released. Citadel is hardly playable, duel mode has a clunky and unengaging interface to the point that “duel only” FFA servers are superior, all new weapons are vastly underpowered (with the exception of maybe the polehammer) and to top it off you deleted everybody’s config and veteran helmets. I don’t see how it is possible to miss any of that in QA, but missing all of it is completely unfathomable to me.

New weapons are actually very “for fun” still it’s not a real problem. If every patch would add better and better weapons, we will have a Battlefield 3-like situation, with 1 or 2 DLC weapon a lot better than the others.

Italic is what I think for each point

• This game really needs optimization…my fps are beyond bad compared to other games.

• A lot of people agree with you.

• My only problem is the server browser being bad. Staggering people in their recovery would make fast weapons ever better than now, I think judging when you can take a hit or when your hit will connect first (and kill someone as it does in the second or third hit) is a big part of the melee game.

• I think the game is amazing too. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again; I’ havn’t had this much fun with a game since CounterStrike, which is still one of the most popular online multiplayer games. I’ve recommended several friends to buy it, and played it for 130-ish hours untill the update came out. Sure, there were some bugs at first, but they didn’t really bother me.

Ever since the update I feel the game has been ruined. Due to certain changes players have adapted their playing styles. Whereas I played vanguard with a claymore ever since my first installation, I’m now forced to play knight (for the extra armor) with a crappy but fast short sword to actually survive long enough. Whereas before the update I ended first or second 90% of the time.
    Since the update everyone just chooses daggers or short swords, runs up and basicly facehugs you while stabbing like an idiot. It’s just not realistic anymore. Before the update there were actual swordfights with kicks etc. Now it’s just wildly spamming away.

My thought is that it’s the blocking and kicking that’s the problem. I noticed after the update I couldn’t play defensively anymore. And kicking seemed to be too slow to prove effective against people who come in too close. The only way to survive now is to play offensive like a facehugger, but I’m missing the feeling of satisfaction I got from actual combat where you had to EARN a kill.

I feel Torn Banner could have asked more for the game, and I would have gladly paid it. That extra income could have paid for a larger team to support developement. Although I’m guessing they’re doing rather well since the launch :)

• @Nevetz:

Servers. Official servers have been laggy (server performance) and high-ping (>40, server connection) since I started playing. Now, after the patch, most of them don’t even show up in the server browser. As of writing this, I can’t see a single(!) official tdm server and the only official servers I can see with a decent ping AT ALL are 2-3 classic servers. I have an excellent internet connection, getting pings between 6 and 20 in all other games I play.

I’m from North Italy, my usual ping is 70/80 (40/50 in BF3, 60 usual in other games) and like me there is the other 90% of the players so lol, don’t be a kid if you can’t play with 6/20 ping.

I may have phrased this wrong. When I say “decent ping”, I mean below 80. Before the patch, pings were high (>40) for most servers, but now it’s so bad that I can only find a select few that are below 80 or even 100.

• Widespread agreement on these points. I routinely get stuck on rocks or staircases, leading to my dismemberment. The rocks on the Mason fortress siege map, called like hillside I think, the ones near the shore you can clip through them. Various other issues worthy of a huge rant someday.

• @dem0n:

I think the game is amazing too. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again; I’ve only had this much fun with a game since CounterStrike, which is still one of the most populair online multiplayer games. I’ve recommended several friends to buy it, and played it for 130-ish hours untill the update came out. Sure, there were some bugs at first, but they didn’t really bother me.

Ever since the update I feel the game has been ruined. Due to certain changes players have adapted their playing styles. Whereas I played vanguard with a claymore ever since my first installation, I’m now forced to play knight (for the extra armor) with a crappy but fast short sword to actually survive long enough. Whereas before the update I ended first or second 90% of the time.
    Since the update everyone just chooses daggers or short swords, runs up and basicly facehugs you while stabbing like an idiot. It’s just not realistic anymore. Before the update there were actual swordfights with kicks etc. Now it’s just wildly spamming away.

My thought is that it’s the blocking and kicking that’s the problem. I noticed after the update I couldn’t play defensively anymore. And kicking seemed to be too slow to prove effective against people who come in too close. The only way to survive now is to play offensive like a facehugger, but I’m missing the feeling of satisfaction I got from actual combat where you had to EARN a kill.

I feel Torn Banner could have asked more for the game, and I would have gladly paid it. That extra income could have paid for a larger team to support developement. Although I’m guessing they’re doing rather well since the launch :)

I agree, its incredibly annoying when an archer sprints up with a hunting knife and proceeds to run into me and swing the knife like an idiot as I get staggered about.

• The only things that bother me about this game are the ‘joining via steam bug’ and the flinch thingy, but i tend to ignore these things because I love this game so much. And i’ve been kicking an awful lot of butt with the quarterstaff lately even though i think it should be at least a bit faster than the Dane axe. I like playing with the quarter staff but i don’t really see the point when my Dane axe has more damage, same speed and better reach… although it doesn’t have the neat (is that how you write it? I’m Belgian so I’m not quite sure) head-exploding stab the quarter staff has.

• Constructive criticism is fine and well deserved, but these sensationalist thread titles are getting out of hand. There are ways to post complaint threads without screaming for attention like this.

Optimization, server browser, friends list join, and all the technical problems do need to be fixed, and the window for combo inputs needs to be tightened. Flinching during recovery is supposed to add a very small delay before the next attack, and isn’t meant to be as significant as canceling a swing in windup. Duel mode is awesome for the most part, new underpowered weapons are better than new overpowered weapons, and you should expect configs to be reset with major patches.

• Agreed. Torn Banner has done a great job creating an awesome game. It’s still fairly new, so give it time to be tweaked.

• @Falc:

This game really needs optimization…my fps are beyond bad compared to other games.

For me, my experience is much different.

I have a Quad Core i5, 8 Gigs or RAM + GTX 660 Ti Twin Frozr III and the game runs perfectly fine for me with 60+ fps.

Yet when I play Red Orchestra 2 (another UE3 game), the fkn thing crashes my entire system after about 2 minutes of gameplay and I have to hold the power button down to shut it down and restart.

While I did everything I could find to fix this issue, it still happens every damn time I play…. RO2 played better when I was still using my GeForce 210 for god’s sake… yet can’t run properly using a modern video card that should be able to handle it (the GeForce 210 barely met minimum requirements for RO2 and doesn’t come close to the requirements for Chivalry)

So when it comes to Optimizations for the game, for me personally, Chivalry runs a hell of a lot better than some of my other games.

I have hundreds of hours in RO2 while using my GeForce 210 at 15-25 fps… now with a new video card that can dish out much better graphics and 70+ fps… I can’t even enjoy it cuz it continually toasts my system after a couple of minutes.

Chivalry doesn’t even do this and I can play with everything maxed out for however long I want with no issues whatsoever.

Both games are made by indie companies… the only difference is that TWI who made RO2 already have like 4-5 retail games under their belt, plus their original RO mod… TBS has their original mod and this game… yet they did a better job at optimization.

Figure that out. :?

• @Cpt-Praxius:

@Falc:

This game really needs optimization…my fps are beyond bad compared to other games.

For me, my experience is much different.

I have a Quad Core i5, 8 Gigs or RAM + GTX 660 Ti Twin Frozr III and the game runs perfectly fine for me with 60+ fps.

Yet when I play Red Orchestra 2 (another UE3 game), the fkn thing crashes my entire system after about 2 minutes of gameplay and I have to hold the power button down to shut it down and restart.

While I did everything I could find to fix this issue, it still happens every damn time I play…. RO2 played better when I was still using my GeForce 210 for god’s sake… yet can’t run properly using a modern video card that should be able to handle it (the GeForce 210 barely met minimum requirements for RO2 and doesn’t come close to the requirements for Chivalry)

So when it comes to Optimizations for the game, for me personally, Chivalry runs a hell of a lot better than some of my other games.

I have hundreds of hours in RO2 while using my GeForce 210 at 15-25 fps… now with a new video card that can dish out much better graphics and 70+ fps… I can’t even enjoy it cuz it continually toasts my system after a couple of minutes.

Chivalry doesn’t even do this and I can play with everything maxed out for however long I want with no issues whatsoever.

Both games are made by indie companies… the only difference is that TWI who made RO2 already have like 4-5 retail games under their belt, plus their original RO mod… TBS has their original mod and this game… yet they did a better job at optimization.

Figure that out. :?

If your entire system is crashing, that might be a cpu/gpu overheating issue, or bad RAM timings. Might want to investigate that further.

• ~~Note to whoever changed my thread’s title from “Torn Banner, you are doing a TERRIBLE job.” to “Torn Banner, Here [sic] are my criticisms.”:

If you’re going to change a thread title that isn’t even offensive but a valid expression of opinion, at least indicate that it was changed by a moderator. Failing to do so is nothing short of abusing mod privileges to put words (and in this case grammar mistakes) into a user’s mouth.~~

Edit: Never mind, maybe the title was a bit over the top. I just wanted this to be seen.

I chose a polarizing thread title for a reason. These aren’t just “my criticisms”. I have a lot more criticisms than the ones I mentioned in the OP. This thread was meant to be a list of intolerable and indisputable errors in the game that are more or less objective.

To offer some perspective again: I still love the game and I’m going to play it right now. Have a good day.

• After many more glorious hours of slaughter, I was going to post in this thread again to further put my criticisms in perspective. Chivalry is an amazing game. On the other hand, I ran into another gamebreaking issue and was reminded of several more I’d noticed before.

I’ve mentioned before that there are too few high quality servers. So a friend and I, looking to help build the community, decided to rent a server. We were terribly disappointed when we discovered that Chivalry supports neither rcon nor reserved slots. This means that renting servers is severely disincentivized because you can’t even make sure you’ll get to play on your own server. When it’s full, it’s full, and there’s nothing you can do about it. Especially for clans this is an absolutely horrible situation and I believe it’s hurting the growth of the community.

The same goes for command queueing, nostagger and the MAA dodge bug that causes dodge to occasionally do nothing or clip you into the ground. This is not something that can wait until the next content update or major patch. It’s gamebreaking and it needs a hotfix. Simple as that.

Also, responding to Nevetz Vess, the command queueing issue is a lot more noticeable for MAAs. I feel like it happens to me at least once every round.

I am posting this hoping that TB will understand the severity of these issues. What I absolutely don’t want to do is discourage others from playing Chivalry. That would be a massive shame. The game is incredible and I hope to meet you all on the servers soon.

• Over 9000 constructive criticism. I approve.

• I would really like to see a response from Torn Banner in this thread. You seem to be quite eager to keep your community informed, so why are there no comments on these game breaking issues?

Adding to my list, getting stuck on the environment happens so annoyingly often. Also game breaking.

Also, this is what happens when the map changes to Citadel: [image:1ynetjcv]http://i.imgur.com/aY7LuB3.jpg[/image:1ynetjcv]

Torn Banner, you must fix the absolutely game breaking issues I’ve listed in this thread. I have no idea why you’re even considering focusing on modding tools. You may seriously be lacking awareness of the state the game is in. I want to want to play Chivalry, but it’s getting harder to motivate friends to play because it’s just so buggy and laggy while I’m not having the easiest time seeing past those unacceptable issues myself.

DO SOMETHING. NOW!

• Optimization, no idea my laptop runs it fine.
    • Command queuing, sounds bad but I don’t accidentally double click or overscroll so I don’t notice it.
    • Recovery hitting, its fine we don’t need fast weapons getting even more advantages.
    • Stream friends, yeah sure.
    • Server browser, my biggest gripe but they said it is fixed in the next release (we shall see…).
    • Server lag, yes there is something wrong with some official servers some (15%) of the time… Its almost as if they are downloading large microsoft updates or something that causes server side lag. Its that or the ghost people the server browser thinks are on the server. Or its larger pings. Who knows but it needs investigation.
    • Citadel, they already said it is changing for the next patch.
    • Duels, I love duel mode but I agree the UI is clunky as hell.
    • New weapons, well in beta Flail was very OP so they obviously tweaked it too far down. Sling needs something to make it better. Quarterstaff could do with some more reach. But in general small incremental changes are only needed.

• Hey,

Keep in mind, that while Torn Banner says they are working on things (like Mod Tools) or whatever, it doesn’t mean they aren’t continually working on regular fixes and such as well. They will continually work on any fixes that need to be done in addition to new content.

Also, be sure to do a search before you do something (like renting a server), because the rcon thing and reserved slots is something that has been discussed plenty of times and is something we are working to get into the game, because as a server admin, these are definitely things I agree we need. We, who played AoC back in the day were used to how the server admin tools were and we would love to have something similar to that again. They can’t do everything as it’s a different game engine, but better admin tools are definitely in the works.