Dagger blocking.

• Why is it that a weakling archer with a 6 inch dagger can block a charging knight with a 30 pound great sword?

• Because it is not a block, its a parry; they are completely different techniques.

A block absorbs the force.

A parry redirects the force.

• Because game balance
    Now stop asking

• Ok, a parry, my bad. Still, a tiny little knife in a tiny little man’s arm shouldn’t stop a huge sword and totally divert its path.

• balance > realism

besides, it takes a crapload of stamina to do this anyway. What more do you want?

• @Slaughtervomit:

balance > realism

besides, it takes a crapload of stamina to do this anyway. What more do you want?

Balance huh, seems it would be balanced if a unit that can hit you across the map had a little punishment in the form of a weaker parry for not doing so.

• @AtomicKaiser:

@Slaughtervomit:

balance > realism

Balance huh, seems it would be balanced if a unit that can hit you across the map had a little punishment in the form of a weaker parry for not doing so.

it does have a weaker parry. the amount of stamina it takes to block larger weapons is huge. like 2 parries and you’re wiped out… maybe you’re suggesting removing the longer rech weapons from archers to leave them with only daggers? or reducing their damage to the point where they should simply run from every encounter? Or maybe just make it where when melee closes the gap, archers explode into rainbow colored confetti?

• @Slaughtervomit:

@AtomicKaiser:

@Slaughtervomit:

balance > realism

it does have a weaker parry. the amount of stamina it takes to block larger weapons is huge. like 2 parries and you’re wiped out… maybe you’re suggesting removing the longer rech weapons from archers to leave them with only daggers? or reducing their damage to the point where they should simply run from every encounter? Or maybe just make it where when melee closes the gap, archers explode into rainbow colored confetti?

I really don’t feel like involving myself in a pointless conversation with an over zealous person. Good day.

• Haha I’m overzealous
    Slaught is flamboyant

• @AtomicKaiser:

I really don’t feel like involving myself in a pointless conversation with an over zealous person. Good day.

You started this whole topic? Besides, it’s a simple question… You don’t like daggers blocking your big sword. What’s the fix? Or you don’t want to admit I am right and you are wrong?

@BB:

Haha I’m overzealous
    Slaught is flamboyant

ohai! :P

• Psh, guys, you’re missing the point. This topic is a forum game where you have to agree with the OP or you lose. Man, such amateurs. Let me show you how it’s done.

@AtomicKaiser:

Why is it that a weakling archer with a 6 inch dagger can block a charging knight with a 30 pound great sword?

i agree :D

• Nothing about this game has realistic combat.
    Also, greatswords aren’t 30lbs. They’re about 5.5-6lbs

• @Alyx:

Nothing about this game has realistic combat.
    Also, greatswords aren’t 30lbs. They’re about 5.5-6lbs

A proper Zweihander as wielded by the German Landsknecht weighs about 4-5 lbs, actually - heaviest sword ever intended for practical combat. Hand-and-a-half longswords (I.E. the swords the Knights in Chivalry wield) were around 2-3.

As for parrying it with a dagger - not sure what’s unrealistic about that. Anyone with a basic knowledge of swordsmanship would have no trouble turning aside a 3 pound sword with a dagger. In fact, the longer your weapon is, the easier it is to parry just by knocking it aside at the tip - it’s basic physics, leverage is in your favor.

• Tell me how to parry a Maul Sly :3

• Oh merde, I forgot how poorly ideas can transfer through text….

• Why can’t I parry barehanded yet? I want to be able to swat people’s stabs away with my offhand then riposte them through the throat with a broadsword. :(

• @BB:

Tell me how to parry a Maul Sly :3

Maul is an exception because it would be an impractical weapon anyway ;)

@DokB:

Why can’t I parry barehanded yet? I want to be able to swat people’s stabs away with my offhand then riposte them through the throat with a broadsword. :(

While that would be awesome, I’m not sure how such a thing could be implemented without complicating the controls.

• This thread is Excellent.

I need to start using daggers more. Just for this thread.

• @SlyGoat:

@BB:

impractical completely badass*

• @SlyGoat:

@BB:

A parried can be accomplicted along the “entire length” of a weapon, however the longer the weapon the more leverage the parry can take advantage of and the less physical force required.

Making the ideal place to parry any blunt weapon or axe on the handle just below the head.