Dagger blocking.

• Why can’t I parry barehanded yet? I want to be able to swat people’s stabs away with my offhand then riposte them through the throat with a broadsword. :(

• @BB:

Tell me how to parry a Maul Sly :3

Maul is an exception because it would be an impractical weapon anyway ;)

@DokB:

Why can’t I parry barehanded yet? I want to be able to swat people’s stabs away with my offhand then riposte them through the throat with a broadsword. :(

While that would be awesome, I’m not sure how such a thing could be implemented without complicating the controls.

• This thread is Excellent.

I need to start using daggers more. Just for this thread.

• @SlyGoat:

@BB:

impractical completely badass*

• @SlyGoat:

@BB:

A parried can be accomplicted along the “entire length” of a weapon, however the longer the weapon the more leverage the parry can take advantage of and the less physical force required.

Making the ideal place to parry any blunt weapon or axe on the handle just below the head.

• Someone just got owned by an archer in melee.

• @gregcau:

Someone just got owned by an archer in melee.

And that invididual person decided to go to the forum and complain instead of learning what that person did wrong, and then possibly try to improve…oh well.

• Doubting the realism huh?

I refer you to the bible:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GyDoL7ij3A

See 0:36, 0:41 and 0:48. Dagger/Short sword vs Maul, 3 parries.

• @Bloodhead:

Doubting the realism huh?

The Bible? I saw YouTube and the movie Troy, but no David, no Samson.

• @AtomicKaiser:

I really don’t feel like involving myself in a pointless conversation with an over zealous person. Good day.

translation: "I dun wanna puhway any moar. Waaaah!

On topic: The topic is a non-issue

/thread

• It actually makes more sense that a man with a dagger could redirect a lot more force than one with a long sword. The dagger wielder has a LOT more leverage over his weapon and can bring more force to bear. If a maul hit a long sword near the upper half of the weapon, you would have less leverage to stop the momentum.

In all honesty… No weapon should be able to parry a maul… I would be cool with them being unblockable but EVEN slower. :D

• So it’s a non-issue that a guy with a small dagger can somehow fucking parry a great sword. An archer should not be able to do that with something so small.

• @Ibro:

So it’s a non-issue that a guy with a small dagger can somehow fucking parry a great sword. An archer should not be able to do that with something so small.

Especially with the chopping force the 2hander swings come at you. This isn’t fencing.

• @Magnificent:

@Ibro:

So it’s a non-issue that a guy with a small dagger can somehow fucking parry a great sword. An archer should not be able to do that with something so small.

Especially with the chopping force the 2hander swings come at you. This isn’t fencing.

Just think of the parry as the Akido of sword play.

• @nsweetman:

Because it is not a block, its a parry; they are completely different techniques.

A block absorbs the force.

A parry redirects the force.

Bad answer. All it does is attack inconsequential semantics. Replace his question with “parry” and it’s still super valid.

The answer below yours, however, was the right answer. I don’t think it’s good balancing. But balancing is why it was done.

• @Bloodhead:

Hehe well those parries didn’t exactly work too well. That maul seemed to go through them all. :P

• @AngryDave:

@Bloodhead:

Hehe well those parries didn’t exactly work too well. That maul seemed to go through them all. :P

Actually watch it again. At 41 seconds you see him parry the Maul/Hammer. The others were actually him getting parried.

• @NikolaiLev:

This thread is Excellent.

I need to start using daggers more. Just for this thread.

Gave me incentive to unlock the Thrusting Dagger. I do love my little hunting knife though, fits right in the palm of my hand until I embed it in someone’s eyesocket 2, 3, 4 times.