What Chivalry needs to become an E-Sport

• Chivalry is an awesome game and imo would make a really good Esport. With tournaments and money come higher and higher level of play and a stronger community around the game. Unfortunatly Chivalry is missing a few key features that would allow tournaments to include Chivalry in their game line up.

1. First person view while spectating. Its really hard to see the skill involved in battles while in 3rd person view. High skill ceilings make games way more entertaining for noobs and casual players to watch.

2.Mini map while spectating. Its hard for casters and spectators to see the whole picture of a battle and not miss key fights if they cant keep track of all the players during a battle.

3.Balanced 5v5 maps. It seems 5v5 is the best number for competetive play. Dota/LoL/CS all use 5v5. Its a good number for a team logistics wise for players to practice and travel to tournaments.

4.A major tournament to add the game to their line up. If this ever happens our community needs to support the tournament and show up with numbers to tell tournament that they made the right choice picking up the game.

A replay feature would be nice but is probably not completely necessary, it would allow You Tubers to cast and upload awesome games and get more people into Chivalry. As pros start playing a game at a high level glitches and imbalances are exposed and can be fixed. This makes the game better for all players. It also creates a stronger community as people can watch high level play and aspire to become as good as pros. Chivalry is an awesome fun multiplayer game and I wish it had a pro scene, the limited amount of you tube video that are out tell me that the game is fun to watch and I really hope it becomes a game in the Esports scene. my 2 cents.

• what this game needs to become an esport? more players and actually clans interested in esport.

• @CRUSHED:

what this game needs to become an esport? more players and actually clans interested in esport.

With You Tube videos, Tournaments and money come players and clans who are serious about the game. Fame and money are pretty decent incentive to get a team together.

• @Crispy:

@CRUSHED:

what this game needs to become an esport? more players and actually clans interested in esport.

With You Tube videos, Tournaments and money come players and clans who are serious about the game. Fame and money are pretty decent incentive to get a team together.

Now tell that to the actual people who sit on pubs 24/7 and bring them together to make a clan, lol

your suggestions are good tho

• And people complain about the community now… I could just imagine how bad it would be to have a bunch of MLG kids coming in and stinking up the place…

• @Crispy:

3.Balanced 5v5 maps. It seems 5v5 is the best number for competetive play. Dota/LoL/CS all use 5v5. Its a good number for a team logistics wise for players to practice and travel to tournaments.

im hearing this crap since 1995

tribes2 had a very high standard competitive league with 60 odd teams (in europe dno usa) and it was 14v14

a pro american football team has prolly about a 100+ people travelling about (including doctors managers drivers etc)

What u need for a professional competition (which is something different than just competition) is not determined by teamsize, but decided by the size of your audience.
    so please put that age old argument to rest

• Don’t know about the true spectator mode, but when spectating a player after dieing in LTS you can switch to 1st person by using the buttons for toggling 1st/3rd person (P and L by default).

• @SirDancealot:

@Crispy:

im hearing this crap since 1995

tribes2 had a very high standard competitive league with 60 odd teams (in europe dno usa) and it was 14v14

a pro american football team has prolly about a 100+ people travelling about (including doctors managers drivers etc)

What u need for a professional competition (which is something different than just competition) is not determined by teamsize, but decided by the size of your audience.
    so please put that age old argument to rest

I agree with you about the size of the audience determining whether something will be successful as an Esport. As long as the community supports its game when it comes to Pro games and tournements that game can succeed. All tournaments care about is number of eyeballs watching their live stream and thus their advertisements. Tribes 2 was before the days of Twitch.tv and livestreaming sites being so popular and bandwidth being so cheap. Like I said earlier the community needs to support their game if it ever get picked up by a tournament. Something LoL did that was genius was to place a link on front page of game after loading to any LoL tournaments that are running. This advertises directly to the people who would care that a tourney is running and gets good stream numbers. As far as your argument that football teams have 50 man teams traveling to games, professional sports teams and small Esports teams have a slightly different budget. Sending 5 players to europe or across NA is way more viable than a 14 man team. Mebbe this is why Tribes 2 failed? Also when splitting a 10k Prize pool having 14 players would make it barely worth it for individual players to go to a tourney. 5v5 seems a good number.

• You CAN go 1st person while spectating? :S

There’s an entire “Spectator Perspective” button or whatever it says…

• chivalry has been in the MLG for like a month now. sooooooo yeaaaaahhh ……just thought i should throw that out there.

• There are leagues in both North America (Darkagegaming) and Europe (ElectronicSportsLeague) that are currently trying their hardest to get Chiv into the Esports scene. Darkage recently got Torn Banner to post a link to the finals match, of one of the tournaments on Torn Banner’s facebook page.

• While it would be great, sadly and specially after the broken patch, this game is no where near E-sport ready. Horrible server administration, no remote administration, long assed commands for any server change, no Rcon support, and you have to restart the server to get them to take effect. Then you have the still very glitchy/buggy server menu and that is just for starters. Now look into how long the competitive scene has been trying to get it’s act together. Half the clans cannot agree on any thing it seems.

Then lets look at actual game play, buggy maps, bad map timers, horrible pings, shall I continue? It is simply not ready for prime time.

• Please remember we are talking about an Indie game. You guys are comparing it to colossals like Dota and CS.

• If this game should be esport, than feint needs to be removed. A game of skill would turn quickly into a game of chance…

• @Watt:

If this game should be esport, than feint needs to be removed. A game of skill would turn quickly into a game of chance…

And a duel that would that 40 seconds suddenly ends in 5 seconds…

• I feel like this game is entertaining enough to survive a prime time debut on an MLG or dreamhack. Unfortunatly the specatator client is not up to snuff to allow the game to be casted properly and to show the skill involved. The bugs and imbalances of this game would be ironed out faster if there were pros playing for money. SC2 was not released a balanced game. It took many pros playing a ton of hours and a ton of tournaments before SC2 ended up balanced. I hope Torn banner can connect to the best players and clans of our community and get feedback on how to make this game even better. Im betting over time and a bunch patches this game can become worthy of the main stage at an MLG. I really hope it happens.

• While I would absolutely adore Chivalry to go huge and have an incredible e-sports scene, I just don’t see it growing with all the current problems the game has, updates come at an increasingly slow rate (even if TB does have a small dev team, 1-2 months for a single patch is silly) and the game is overall in my opinion being balanced/catered more towards casual play (which is no surprise considering the lack of development of both the EU and NA competitive scenes), some younger teams need to start to register for the tournaments on offer because right now we only have around 5-6 teams who play in the ladder/cups that ESL provide (talkin’ about the European scene here).

To wrap it up, as it is right now with the current development cycle, development of the competitive scenes and many glaring bug issues and exploits floating around, we can do nothing but watch and wait.

• CHivalry can’t be e-sport, will never be of that quality, ever. I know people try to make it an e-sport but it will only fail, no doubt in my mind. You can however have fun clan matches and enjoy the game and have “fun”.

Sorry, this is not the CS:S you are looking for or SC2/LoL.

• Game is not an e-sport rofl.

• @Blackjack:

CHivalry can’t be e-sport, will never be of that quality, ever. I know people try to make it an e-sport but it will only fail, no doubt in my mind. You can however have fun clan matches and enjoy the game and have “fun”.

Sorry, this is not the CS:S you are looking for or SC2/LoL.

This game is way more competitive then half the pubbie games that went comp. Also LoL is the perfect example of an casual game going huge in competitive.