Opinions on a new archer weapon?

• If it is made it will be way lower reloading time than the heavy crossbow. And it would be very innacurate

• No guns! Guns were the downfall of the knight.

• Something like a Hand Cannone could be fun. Very primitive, handheld cannon. Heavy and clumsy, innacurate…but powerful. It could be given bonus damage against objectives like the doors of Citadel, or other seige weapons. Maybe do partial damage to things like the Palisade wall of the same map, that normally needs ballistae to damage.

Balance out the possible objective cheesing by limiting the ammunition heavily, and making the weapon reload painfully slowly. Might encourage more melee archers.

• @Ser:

Something like a Hand Cannone could be fun. Very primitive, handheld cannon. Heavy and clumsy, innacurate…but powerful. It could be given bonus damage against objectives like the doors of Citadel, or other seige weapons. Maybe do partial damage to things like the Palisade wall of the same map, that normally needs ballistae to damage.

Balance out the possible objective cheesing by limiting the ammunition heavily, and making the weapon reload painfully slowly. Might encourage more melee archers.

This would be to the archer class right? or are you suggesting that a melee class would get something this powerful and ranged? Imo anything that oneshots this easy would feel cheap and stupid.

• @Onetastic:

@Ser Reanim8:

Something like a Hand Cannone could be fun. Very primitive, handheld cannon. Heavy and clumsy, innacurate…but powerful. It could be given bonus damage against objectives like the doors of Citadel, or other seige weapons. Maybe do partial damage to things like the Palisade wall of the same map, that normally needs ballistae to damage.

This would be to the archer class right? or are you suggesting that a melee class would get something this powerful and ranged? Imo anything that oneshots this easy would feel cheap and stupid.

Archer class, of course, in keeping with the original thread post. I was just offering a spin on the idea that would have to be braced, have a wider spread of fire (lower accuracy) and greater kickback (probably with stun, or some kind of volume drop to the wielder after firing), be slow enough to aim and ready that the only way to reliably hit someone is to fire your one shot indiscriminately into a melee, and give archers a way to contribute to destruction objectives.

• It would be balanced by being inaccurate and I would really hate more randomness in the game.

At least now when you get killed by an archer it could be he’s awesome at sniping. Randomness would just make it frustrating. If even regular archers are already frowned upon by a lot of players, this would make it much worse.

I could see it as a short-range alternative to the throwing axe (no damage after a certain range offsets the accuracy it keeps) or something creative like that.
    Maybe you can only use it with a 1H weapon (keep it in the hand when not in use, free hand anyway) and only have one shot.

But as a primary weapon I don’t agree with implementing it.

• This game is set around the 12-13th century not the 15th century so no guns.

When modding tools come out someone could make a mod with guns in it maybe.

• ^^^ someone definitely needs to make a “streets of rage” mod. Maybe you’ve played this game, but it was one of my favorites at the arcade growing up. Imagine, everyone starts with fists. All about the level are various melee weapons like pipes, crowbars, knives, batons, etc. There are also pistols, sawed off shotguns, etc (all with limited ammo, maybe just whatever is in the gun so less than a full magazine). I could see this working with halo style levels where the weapons are placed in strategic locations.

I could see this being sooo awesome

• @Ser:

Very much like the idea of a Cannoneer sort of spin to Archers. However it would be one of the more difficult weapons to balance. How a player behaves when shooting at enemies that are in close proximity of team mates is what makes me all the more curious though!

• @lemonater47:

This game is set around the 12-13th century not the 15th century so no guns.

When modding tools come out someone could make a mod with guns in it maybe.

Ignoring the fact that the game is not a historical commentary.
    There were ballistic weapons in those centuries, very primitive and in exotic locations but still. Also, have you really payed attention to some of the details in the game, the Explosive siege cart, and most of all, the fact that Agathian ships are armed with cannons. Even a model ship on that duel map with the feast shows them.

So in the Chivalry universe they know about ballistics.

• Theer were already some primitive hand cannon-esque weapons used in the 12th and 13th century, especially by the templars in the holy lands and the Chinese. It would be fine by me if the weapon would be :

• horribly inaccurate
    • very slow to reload
    • used with a 25% chance of missfiring (so the gun doesn’t go off)
      it happened a lot, very much so wth the weapons of that day and age.

• @Harold:

@Ser Reanim8:

Very much like the idea of a Cannoneer sort of spin to Archers. However it would be one of the more difficult weapons to balance. How a player behaves when shooting at enemies that are in close proximity of team mates is what makes me all the more curious though!

Making them cumbersome enough to encourage more liberal use of a secondary weapon like the shortsword tree could be a decent way to go, especially if we include misfires and a prohibitively slow reloading rate. Having to brace to fire the cannon would also help encourage people to cover a canoneer, since they can’t retreat or easily/effectively defend themselves if they were attacked.

Really try and encourage it’s use against static and large targets, rather than other players. I guess, maybe, a hail of grape or chain shot for FFA or team deathmatch, but trying to mainly focus it around destroying objectives in TO games.

Even in maps without destroyable objectives like the second phase of battlefield, where it could be used against the ballista or catapult, or the agathian castle to damage/destroy the burning pitch pots above the gate.

• @Ser:

@Onetastic Joe:

@Ser Reanim8:

Archer class, of course, in keeping with the original thread post. I was just offering a spin on the idea that would have to be braced, have a wider spread of fire (lower accuracy) and greater kickback (probably with stun, or some kind of volume drop to the wielder after firing), be slow enough to aim and ready that the only way to reliably hit someone is to fire your one shot indiscriminately into a melee, and give archers a way to contribute to destruction objectives.

I rather like this, just not the objective part, because I can see that being abused easily. But how exactly would you counter a close-range onehitkill as a melee class? If you get close, you die instantly, if you don’t charge at him but can’t get away (because archer speed), you’ll get like half your health or more taken off by the longer-range shot.

I like the idea of high risk, high reward, but it seems like it will only be used to run in and snipe one guy, run out, reload, run in, etc. Especially since an archer only gets oneshotted by the heaviest weapons, he could theoretically take a hit going in, then blast at point-blank in between swings.

• Considering hand cannons were came in around the late 15th century which was effectively the end of the medieval period I doubt they would be implemented. And the fact they would just make people explode.

• @smokingbobs:

@SharpshotSid:

@AtomicKaiser:

What would you guys think of a unlock after the last crossbow. Maybe an entirely new section already for him.
    My idea was for a early rifle, like a primitive matchlock that would have a fast projectile movement buff, but would be very slow.
    Obviously they know of gunpowder and explosives in the world of Chivalry, hence the siege explosives.
    Just something a friend and I were thinking about, nothing to serious, just wondering.

This would mean that the archer will recieve a 1h kill weapon which 1hits everything. Alot of people see the rifle as a more modern weapon rather than a medieval one, and I’d think it’d be gamebreaking and immersion breaking.

No for guns, in any form or way.

(Siege) cannons would be awesome :D

Cannons are more of a civil war thing like in the 1700’s… not medieval either

• @ReMixx:

Well if we add an arquebus, it’s going to take even longer than the heavy crossbow to reload and be horribly inaccurate. The price you pay for that 1 hit kill…

That, and the fact that early mathlock firearms sometimes blew up in the firer’s hand and kill them immediatly.

• could live with that arquebus or that crusader guns idea with low accuracy and high reload time. just wonder what it would bring. maybe its a bad idea cause if its balanced right it could be no fun to play it.

• How about Slingshot that serve as the upgrade of Sling, you have longer range but more wind up

• well no upgrade but i guess i know what your talkin bout. another unlockable in that section … mh i dont see a problem. more content = bettur.

• @MetalDevil19:

Cannons are more of a civil war thing like in the 1700’s… not medieval either

Incorrect, good sir! The reason they stopped building castles was because the cannon could blow open the walls far too easily! Knights were no longer on the battlefield because a simple hand pistol could blow right through their armor!