Dodging While Sprinting

• Why is the Man-At-Arms unable to hold the sprint key and dodge at the same time?
    If I let go of the sprint key for an instant and press dodge at the same time I can perform the dodge, press and hold the sprint key again without losing any momentum.
    It’s just an annoyance as I’d like to bind my sprint key to ‘W’ which also functions as my forward key.
    Why you ask? To leave my comfortable left shift key open for the alternate attack keybind.
    There is virtually no scenario where walking is more advantageous than sprinting, in my opinion.

So I ask why this capability isn’t available, you can perform the action of dodging without losing the sprinting momentum, but you just have to do a little work around.
    It would make more logical sense to be dodging when you have momentum in the first place.
    I would really like an explanation as to why this isn’t available.

• I agree its annoying but with it the MAA would be overpowered.

• @gregcau:

I agree its annoying but with it the MAA would be overpowered.

How would it be overpowered? You can already do it but just have to let go of the sprint button for a fraction of a second. You don’t lose the momentum of the sprint at all. All I am asking is for the convienence of being able to dodge while sprinting to free up a key to use as another keybind.
    Not everyone has thumb mouse buttons.

• Overpowered as in too easy to do, atleast thats what i thought he meant with it. If swings were harder to do as in you would have to make a circle with your mouse and press Alt and Ctrl at the same time. some ppl could do it but we would not see so much LMB spamming then :D

• Would be a good addition imho. Hindering the player from doing an action without reason is a bad design choice imho.

• Actually, when the game was released, MAAs that did an attack while sprinting would then be able to dodge while sprinting as long as they didn’t stop sprinting. TB then fixed that bug in the November update, so now MAAs can’t ever dodge while sprinting.

Before the November patch, you could sprint, dodge forward + attack, and still have the sprint during and after the attack so you can chase down the ambushed target. Basically, dodges were used to make you move faster when running forward or away, and didn’t really fit the theme of dodging. Now, if you try to sprint, release sprint, then dodge + attack, during your attack you will not be sprinting. It makes a big difference, so now most MAAs just use the dodge tactically as it was intended. Besides, in most cases sprint and dodge are redundant, since sprint usually makes you fast enough to avoid hits anyway.

There is virtually no scenario where walking is more advantageous than sprinting, in my opinion.

Well, you don’t regenerate health while sprinting.

• This reminds me, maybe i should make a unique thread for it… but why cant MAA dodge with throwing knives or tomahawk equipped? ?

• Would be fine with it, MAA are super-fast or at least supposed to be.

I can think of a good MAA dancing around an enemy, doing many little stings and stabs to bring him down. That’s what I’d like to do as MAA. Being fast and sneaky. Not faceplanting and slashing like stupid.

The actual MAA is a little bit faster Vanguard doing WAY TOO much damage with his onehanded weapons.
    I also don’t like the fact that the overhead with (especially) the Dan Axe is more like a too powerful stab. The reach combined with attack speed + damage is just TOO DAMN HIGH. :x

DECREASE Damage, ALLOW Sprint + Dodge!

That’s it. Perfect MAA is born. :D

• @nimble:

This reminds me, maybe i should make a unique thread for it… but why cant MAA dodge with throwing knives ?

Yes I’ve wondered that as well, I haven’t found an answer for the MAA being unable to dodge with his throw-ables either.
    DANG IT TORN BANNER THE PEOPLE DEMAND ANSWERS.

• @TheUndying:

Would be fine with it, MAA are super-fast or at least supposed to be.

No it would be overpowered…

A MAA would be able to go from 100 feet from behind you to instantly catching up with you, stab you in the back.

They would be able to cover great distances and get to the objective before anyone could react.

More thought is required before such a change…