Thoughts On Respawn Length?

• I think 17 seconds maximum for a respawn is a little excessive don’t you think? I wouldn’t mind it if you were dumped straight back into the action, but you aren’t - in most cases you have to run a marathon just to get to where the gameplay is again. I also noticed that there’s a delay for when the respawn timer actually starts to count down too - it should start as soon as you die, not a couple of seconds after (not to mention the respawn is painfully long if you dare decide to change your weapon during this time too).

In total, the time it takes to respawn and then run back to where the fun is happening can take 30-50 seconds long… so if I die 10 times, that can potentially be 5-8 minutes of sitting there doing absolutely nothing - that’s not fun at all, just frustrating. It’s not the simple matter of “not dying” either, or that it’s there to “make people more cautious”.

it’s just my opinion, but the long respawn timer doesn’t feel like it has any purpose other than to arbitrarily force players into attacking in waves to me, and not to mention it throws the balancing of the maps out of the window too - since attackers/defenders aren’t nowhere near frequent enough (that’s why some maps seem to favour one side more).

what do you all think?

• I actually think that in some cases it should be longer. Ideally, the maps could just be bigger, with more time to get to the objective. But as it is now, kills don’t mean too much when it comes to the objective; generally you need to outplay the defenders twice or even three times, as a team, in order to take the objective.

This is especially egregious on Treb 3 on Hillside, but then that’s just a poorly balanced map. Shortening respawn time would only make things worse, though.

• I think on certain maps the attacking team should have shorter respawn times.

• @Wangmaster:

I think on certain maps the attacking team should have shorter respawn times.

especially for the first objectives on Citadel and Hillside… and the last objective on Battlegrounds.

I think defenders should have a longer spawn the closer the attackers are to the objective (like in a lot of games)… the system that’s there now is very thrown-together; it counts down from 17 seconds and whatever time you manage to catch it in when you die is your respawn length.

@NikolaiLev:

I actually think that in some cases it should be longer. Ideally, the maps could just be bigger, with more time to get to the objective. But as it is now, kills don’t mean too much when it comes to the objective; generally you need to outplay the defenders twice or even three times, as a team, in order to take the objective.

This is especially egregious on Treb 3 on Hillside, but then that’s just a poorly balanced map. Shortening respawn time would only make things worse, though.

the day the respawns get longer is the day I stop playing lol

• I think respawn should be almost instantaneous in the case of being team killed; the most frustrating thing when some idiot accidentally chops your head off is that you have to wait around as long as if you had been legitimately killed.

• @Dr:

I think respawn should be almost instantaneous in the case of being team killed; the most frustrating thing when some idiot accidentally chops your head off is that you have to wait around as long as if you had been legitimately killed.

Except this would lead to people deliberately tking each other for the sake of instant respawns, especially when people were low, out of ammo, or about to be killed.

That’s not healthy for gameplay.

It would be far better if friendly fire was mirrored, and the offender gets himself killed due to it.

• @NikolaiLev:

@Dr:

I think respawn should be almost instantaneous in the case of being team killed; the most frustrating thing when some idiot accidentally chops your head off is that you have to wait around as long as if you had been legitimately killed.

Except this would lead to people deliberately tking each other for the sake of instant respawns, especially when people were low, out of ammo, or about to be killed.

That’s not healthy for gameplay.

It would be far better if friendly fire was mirrored, and the offender gets himself killed due to it.

Good point, I didn’t think of that.