Shield and hammer blocking

• Hi, there’s a big problem…. I can just block a giant hammer like nothing and my health is at 100%… You have to know that every weapons like hammers,polehammers,flails,morning stars ext are made to be effective against huge armors and shields. They are impact weapons, it doesn’t matter where or what you hit, it’s such a big impact that can broke the arm behind the shield.It looks strange or weird but that’s the reality, you can’t parry,anyway the giant hammer. I think that could be added some damage while blocking it.

• as much as we would love a hyper-realistic Medieval game, it’s not going to happen unfortunately :[

game balance > realism

if Chivalry had any sort of realism, swords would be secondary weapons and would break easily and poleaxes would be the most overpowered weapon in the game.

but anyway - in Chivalry, the bigger the weapon you block, the more stamina it takes off of you :)

• You have to know that every weapons like hammers,polehammers,flails,morning stars ext are made to be effective against huge armors and shields. They are impact weapons, it doesn’t matter where or what you hit, it’s such a big impact that can broke the arm behind the shield.It looks strange or weird but that’s the reality, you can’t parry,anyway the giant hammer. I think that could be added some damage while blocking it.

You want to imbalance all blunt weapons and make shields completely useless? You already have to be very precise to block attacks as the ability to bypass guard/block is really hard at face-hugging range, where you also risk being kicked when blocking, opening you for an attack. Blunt weapons deal more damage to knights/vanguards and I think this is sufficient.

• Imbalance? I’m just talking about reality, there’s another big problem as you said the giant hammer drain a huge amount of stamina, but it’s completely useless because the hammer is really slow and you can parry every incoming attack(as I’ve reported a few topic down “stamina”)

• Imbalance? I’m just talking about reality […]

Yes, imbalance. I am not talking about reality. Reality is no priority when it comes to balance.

[…] there’s another big problem as you said the giant hammer drain a huge amount of stamina, but it’s completely useless because the hammer is really slow and you can parry every incoming attack(as I’ve reported a few topic down “stamina”)

“Really slow”? Lookdown overhead. Speeded up swings. It’s really fast and hard to block. At face hugging range (which is perfect for the hammer) you also have more problems blocking as you have to spin around due to how attacks are calculated.

• @Holy.Death:

Imbalance? I’m just talking about reality […]

Yes, imbalance. I am not talking about reality. Reality is no priority when it comes to balance.

@10uh0bta:

[…] there’s another big problem as you said the giant hammer drain a huge amount of stamina, but it’s completely useless because the hammer is really slow and you can parry every incoming attack(as I’ve reported a few topic down “stamina”)

“Really slow”? Lookdown overhead. Speeded up swings. It’s really fast and hard to block. At face hugging range (which is perfect for the hammer) you also have more problems blocking as you have to spin around due to how attacks are calculated.

So how could I parry every single incoming attack? I’m telling you that I’ve tried it with a friend(I had zero stamina). There are 2 possibilities : I am a legendary warrior with a big penis (and I’m not legendary) otherwise there’s something wrong in my game

By the way,anyway, I suggest to add an amount of damage for giant hammer blocking, you can’t add a weapon and completely change its real mechanic.What if I add a javelin that can be thrown but it can’t be used for thursting?

• So how could I parry every single incoming attack? I’m telling you that I’ve tried it with a friend(I had zero stamina). There are 2 possibilities : I am a legendary warrior with a big penis (and I’m not legendary) otherwise there’s something wrong in my game

All depends on how good you are and on how good your enemy is. The game is even when the player are even, the better the player, the more efficiently he can exploit combat mechanics. It’s that simple.

By the way,anyway, I suggest to add an amount of damage for giant hammer blocking, you can’t add a weapon and completely change its real mechanic.

You don’t use “real mechanic” in the first place.

• @Holy.Death:

So how could I parry every single incoming attack? I’m telling you that I’ve tried it with a friend(I had zero stamina). There are 2 possibilities : I am a legendary warrior with a big penis (and I’m not legendary) otherwise there’s something wrong in my game

All depends on how good you are and on how good your enemy is. The game is even when the player are even, the better the player, the more efficiently he can exploit combat mechanics. It’s that simple.

@2bwnbu67:

By the way,anyway, I suggest to add an amount of damage for giant hammer blocking, you can’t add a weapon and completely change its real mechanic.

You don’t use “real mechanic” in the first place.

it doesn’t make any sense,I’m awfull at this game but with a shield I can do everything even with no energy against a massive hammer attack,you can just call it hammer but that’s not a hammer.

It could be greater this game,it just requires a bit of validity

• it doesn’t make any sense,I’m awfull at this game but with a shield I can do everything even with no energy against a massive hammer attack,you can just call it hammer but that’s not a hammer.

It’s a hammer and you’ll feel it when it hits. I am adding a nice screen to show up what I am talking about (click on the picture for bigger size):

!
    At a very close range (which is perfect for a hammer) you need to turn around at roughly 30 degrees in order to block. The hammer’s attack can be speeded up with side swings (just drag your mouse left-right or right-left - the model of your weapon will connect your target faster than it would normally).

All you need to take into an account - as a hammer-wielder - is the hammer’s windup time and to reduce windup time you can start attack, reducing its windup time, forcing your enemy to block. Range of a weapon can help here, but a good hammer/maul user is really deadly, unless countered in a similiar manner.

It could be greater this game,it just requires a bit of validity

I do agree that combat could use adjustments, I only differ on the ground of how to adjust it.

• So you are telling me that I’m Batman,cause there was no way to hit me,I’ve parried about 20 attacks without stop,it’s a usefull pic but what happened to me,simply should not happens,at least, not with that kind of weapon

What is the windup? I can’t translate it with google

I can’t agree, it doesn’t feel like a hammer,it feels like something that looks like a hammer but impacts as a giant cutlass against the shield

• So you are telling me that I’m Batman,cause there was no way to hit me,I’ve parried about 20 attacks without stop,it’s a usefull pic but what happened to me,simply should not happens,at least, not with that kind of weapon

1. You’re not Batman. You simply didn’t meet a player capable of exploiting combat mechanics. I did and I myself know how to do so.
    2. You can’t block/parry 20 attacks without stopping as each parry/block drains your stamina.

What is the windup? I can’t translate it with google

Windup is the time needed to rise the weapon in order to begin the strike.

• I don’t know how to explain that but it’s happened,20 times,no damage,i think that something give you a bit amount of stamina

So the windup is the time that you need to charge the strike

• I don’t know how to explain that but it’s happened,20 times,no damage,i think that something give you a bit amount of stamina

Combat for shields and weapons when parrying/blocking differs a bit. Did you experience being dazed? You can parry (you parry with a weapon, with shield you block) while being dazed. It regains you 20-30 stamina points, if you succeed to parry next attack. I am frequently using shield and blocking attacks consumes your stamina, so I know you eventually run out of it if you don’t regain it by resting.

So the windup is the time that you need to charge the strike

Pretty much.

• Dazed? That sort of knockback? I’m sorry in Italian parry=parare block=bloccare and they are the same thing in situations like these.

You say that if I can stop the incoming attack twice I regain stamina?

• You say that if I can stop the incoming attack twice I regain stamina?

You parry. You lose stamina for each parry. If you don’t have any stamina left and you manage to parry another attack you are in a dazed state. By being dazed I understand your avatar being out of the balance (perhaps a knockback can fit, for the lack of a better term) after parrying, it looks a bit like a drunk-state in the first perspective. You can still parry the next attack though, and if you succeed you regain a bit of stamina.

• Weird mechanics, you regain stamina if you succeed to parry XD,ahaha

I have another question, how can I use the shield with flail combination? Because it’s more difficult to parry with that shield than the others, it’s easier to parry with a sword

• I have another question, how can I use the shield with flail combination? Because it’s more difficult to parry with that shield than the others, it’s easier to parry with a sword

What do you mean by “how to use the shield with flail combination”? My advice is to disable crosshair (“U”) and practice blocking with it. Try to block more than less: shields’ have much smaller blocking hitboxes than you can visually see and there is where my image can help you out a bit as it’s rather different thing to block with a shield after you’ve been used to parrying with a weapon.

It [a buckler] is much more potent setup for counter-attacking with secondary weapons rather than with the flail, I must say - you gain more speed (lowering your shield after block requires time and size of the shields increase your windup time), although it can be quite useful against larger ones as they block the most of the view.

• I mean the shield that you get when you choose the flail, I didn’t pay attention to crosshairs, I thought that only archers have those(2 dimensions compensation)

Sometimes is quite crazy, you are so close to the enemy that he can’t even move his arm…anyway his spear, bardica ext swing can “bypass” the shield

• Sometimes is quite crazy, you are so close to the enemy that he can’t even move his arm…anyway his spear, bardica ext swing can “bypass” the shield

Take a look at my picture once more, it really tells you more than words. This is exactly what I meant when I said that at face-hugging range you need to turn at your sides at somewhat 30 degrees in order to be able to block or attacks will hit you.