I used to use the Norse Sword…

• But then it got kicked in the dick.

Will somebody please tell me the point of a Norse sword other than being a crappy Broadsword? I know it’s been said before, but there is absolutely no reason to take it. It’s wind up is faster, but that’s cancelled out by having to need 1 more hit across the board to kill anything. Everything else about it is just inferior.

• getting a hit in is better than not getting a hit at all

• Are you a Knight or an MAA?

As a Knight Norse Sword is acceptable because yeah, it’s a pretty quick weapon, you can stab more and while it may take another hit to kill some targets, you’ll also be able to get hits in you wouldn’t have been able to otherwise because of its speed. You can also still 2-shot Archers, and with MAAs it’ll require 1 overhead + anything else or 1 headshot + anything else. Knights can afford to be patient and carefully kill their enemies because of their superior health.

As an MAA you absolutely shouldn’t use this because you need to eliminate targets as fast as possible and the additional speed is more than negated by the amount of hits you need. It also limits your versatility, placing its focus on mainly stabbing.

• Will somebody please tell me the point of a Norse sword other than being a crappy Broadsword?

The norse sword with a tower shield is very nice combination and I personally like a quasi Roman legionary style when I take blunt weapons as my primary. I tend to take one slash weapon and one blunt for each class in each setup (and I experiment with various setups) as a knight.

As BB said - it’s often about landing a successful hit and it’s much easier for me to hit with a norse sword than with a broadsword. With a broadsword I tend to rarely do something good as it takes many hits to kill vanguards and knights while my weapon is considerably slower (or it feels that way for me). They [knights and vanguards] usually take longer weapons so I still have to be close to get them and at that point range doesn’t matter and you can usually overwhelm them with strikes and score a headhit or two. Speed does. It also seems to work better against men at arms and archers (two hits to kill).

• I find the broad sword vastly superior to the norse sword. It is only slightly slower but does enough extra damage to require one less hit. It has the same attack animations and a very similar reach. The norse sword is almost redundant. Perhaps if it had 50/50 slash/blunt damage or something else that sets it apart.

• While I want to say that I miss the days of old norse sword 2 shotting vanguards under 2 seconds, it’s probably for the best it’s not what it use to be. :P

• The Norse Sword either needs to be better at thrusting or better at swinging than the Broadsword. Right now, it’s a totally strict range/speed tradeoff, except the Broadsword also has superior damage. If the damages were equal, it’d be one thing, but then they’d be too similar.

It was overpowered as hell, sure, but I think it got hit a little too hard. It is almost shorter than the Saber, after all (which I feel is a little underpowered too).

• @NikolaiLev:

The Norse Sword either needs to be better at thrusting or better at swinging than the Broadsword. Right now, it’s a totally strict range/speed tradeoff, except the Broadsword also has superior damage. If the damages were equal, it’d be one thing, but then they’d be too similar.

It was overpowered as hell, sure, but I think it got hit a little too hard. It is almost shorter than the Saber, after all (which I feel is a little underpowered too).

I feel recently that the Sabre’s range is a bit off. I’m getting hit by it much farther away than what I’m use to.

• @DokB:

I feel recently that the Sabre’s range is a bit off. I’m getting hit by it much farther away than what I’m use to.

http://i.imgur.com/3oU9U27.jpg

You may be underestimating its range. It’s almost as long as the Broadsword.

The problem is, the Saber is slower than the Broadsword, not to mention the Norse Sword, despite being a Light Weapon. And it obviously deals far less damage, which would be justifiable, if it had a little more (or even equal) speed.

It only deals Swing damage (which is generally the least useful) at 45 on its Overhead, while the Cudgel deals 50 Blunt and the Shortsword deals 50 Pierce on its stab.

I would think the Saber would have equal speed to the Shortsword, given it does less damage, and its range is comparable due to the Shortsword relying on its thrust while the Saber relies on its swings.

Swapping the timings on the Cudgel and Saber might be a fair way to address both the weapons.

• @NikolaiLev:

The Norse Sword either needs to be better at thrusting or better at swinging than the Broadsword. Right now, it’s a totally strict range/speed tradeoff, except the Broadsword also has superior damage. If the damages were equal, it’d be one thing, but then they’d be too similar.

Norse Sword and Broadsword has different reachs, both both weapons on any attack has the same range in the end, so its more like a speed or extra damage trade-off to pick between these two.