[MECH] Rhythm & Timing

• This tutorial is not about specific actions do this or that, or how to use a weapon.
    It is on a higher level then that.
    It is about timing and patterns. Effectively dancing.

It is but one of many outcomes when you meet with an enemy, and certainly one that you have used intentionally or not. The purpose of this tutorial is to make you aware of it, and use it to your advantage.

When you meet the enemy one of 3 things will eventually happen:

1. You attack first.
    2. They attack first.
    3. You both attack at the same time.

No matter of what happens a pattern will begin to form. How long this pattern goes for is another story.

For the purpose of this this tutorial we will assume that the battle lasts more then 2 hits. That is, both sides are defending and attacking.

What often happens at this point is Person A will attack, and Person B will then defend it. Then Person B will attack and Person A will defend. There will be a timing to it, a rhythm.

To break the rhythm is to make it to your advantage. The longer the rhythm runs, the more effective breaking it can be.

The simplest and most effect way to break the rhythm is to delay your attack by 1 second. What will happen is the Person B will react with the rhythm timing, generally parrying at no hit, then you attack out of rhythm and hit.

Practice with awareness of this rhythm and you will come to understand it.

Once you are aware of the possibility of the rhythm you can then create it.

Meet your enemy not with the intention to slay them quickly, but to instead set up a rhythm. Allow them to defend your hit and do obvious easy to defend attacks. This sets up the timing. Then break it.

Always be aware that the rhythm is true for both sides. They can break it too, be ready and don’t let them lead the dance.

This rhythm holds true for multiple opponents and can be used to great effect.

This is partially why feinting is so effective, it can easily break rhythm.

• Nice guide, I personally have big troubles with experience players feinting their 2nd attack of the combo:

He feints once, hits me, combos another attack, cancels it, hits me and so on and so on…

Extremely difficult to deal with. Sometimes I don´t see a chance in winning against this and I always feel bad when I fight like this. Feels cheap and cheaty to me…

• Those opponents are leading you. You are reacting to them, instead of them to you.

Once you are caught in their feint cycle you are at great disadvantage. You must recognize their style, they are expecting you to fail your parries to their feints.

Don’t parry. Move away from their feints instead, attack them first if you can.

A large decider of a battle is how the initial attacks play out. Particularly if the skill level difference of the two people are substantial.

Sometimes I know I’ve won a battle in duel mode well before we are in swinging distance. It is in the way they move, what weapon and class they use and the direction they are going.That is not about this tutorial though.

• @funthomass:

Nice guide, I personally have big troubles with experience players feinting their 2nd attack of the combo:

He feints once, hits me, combos another attack, cancels it, hits me and so on and so on…

Extremely difficult to deal with. Sometimes I don´t see a chance in winning against this and I always feel bad when I fight like this. Feels cheap and cheaty to me…

Turn around and sprint away. As a pre-emptive measure, attack at the edge of your range. If he stops moving forward, cancel your attack. This way he can’t simply charge in and feint you right off the bat.

• A very effective way to break a rhythm is to use a feint and then attack. I wouldn’t use that too much or your enemy becomes more aware of that though. Feints should always be a surprise.