Chivalry Newsletter #1 - January/February 2013

• Chivalry: Medieval Warfare Newsletter #1
    January/February 2013

Hello everyone and welcome to Chivalry’s very first newsletter! Throws confetti We don’t have set dates of when the newsletter comes out, but you will be getting them and that’s the most important thing! So be sure to post your feedback of what you’d like to see in future newsletters. This is our first one, so we are looking for suggestions for future newsletters here: http://www.chivalrythegame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10317

Chivalry has been out for 4 months now and this is an exciting time as we have just released our first Content Update Patch (CU1)! Info on what was in the complete patch is posted here: http://www.chivalrythegame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9587

And if you missed it the first time, check out our amazing CU1 trailer below!

[youtubehd:2xpyb5w5]L8TroWyTB7s[/youtubehd:2xpyb5w5]

What’s to come:

Now that CU1 has been released, our main focus will be on… and you will all be excited to hear this….drumroll MOD TOOLS! Keep in mind, there is no ETA on when these will be released, but just know that it’s the next big thing that will be happening! So let those creative juices flow and get ready to start on some exciting new maps and mods for Chivalry!

Another thing we can look forward to will be a “Community Issues” patch which is up next. It will feature primarily optimization, bug fixes and high priority community requests. This one is all about making the current game, play and run better.

So keep giving us your feedback, posting your ideas, suggestions, comments and bug issues on the forums as well as helping others enjoy our community. We appreciate all your support and help and encourage you to be Chivalrous on and off the battlefield!

**Community Events:
    We’re excited to bring you something new to Chivalry and that is community events! Every so often, we will be holding an event. We will have signups at least a week in advance so you are aware of what’s to come. The event will be streamed, so even if you can’t participate, at least you will be able to watch it live and/or watch the recorded version when you’re able to!

Our first event is a kick-off to promote the new duel mode and is called The Developers Tournament. Basically, we’ll get to see the developers face off against one another in the new duel mode and show us how it’s supposed to be played, show us the different maps and generally how the whole thing works. Who will be the victor in the end?

This will be a recorded event, thus it won’t be streamed live, but we will post the link of the event once it takes place!

We’re still working out details for our first main event that YOU get to participate in, so stay tuned!

Artwork of Richard Yang:

Richard Yang, Lead Animator and Concept Artist of Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, has been kind enough to share with us some of his awesome artwork. All of his work listed below was created in Adobe Photoshop. Take a look and be amazed!

(Please note that Richard Yang’s artwork is not to be used in any way without his prior permission)

The Duel in the forest

(Link to larger image here)

“This was a commissioned artwork for a medieval fan.
    Featuring a Fair Lady watching two knights dueling in the forest with
    flail swords and shield, capturing the moment of the final brutal
    killing blow. I kind of worked the Mason and Agatha theme into it,
    since this was done during the development of Chivalry.”

Arena

“I tried to capture the perspective of the fallen in the Roman arena of
    death, where he or she waits for their fate decided by the blood
    thirsty mob. I spend quite a bit of time from that perspective in Chiv
    arena that’s for sure hehe.”

I’ll be back

“This was done a while ago, I tried to capture what it would had been
    like for the soldiers and knights leaving their home to fight, not
    knowing if they will live to come home.”

**Q&A Video:
    The Q&A Video will be coming out later this month, so look forward to it and seeing which one of your questions shall be answered! If you haven’t already, you still have time to get your questions in. Post in the thread HERE, and see if you’ll be one of the lucky questions chosen!

Competitive Scene:

The competitive scene is a big part of Chivalry. If you are looking to play more seriously and in an organized manner, you may want to check into joining a clan. If you go to the Listing of Active Clans, you will find clans from all over the world. They are currently separated by North America and International, so you can read about each clan and see which one would best fit your need. Each clan also has a thread posted with more details, so you can search even further and find out more about them.

Once you are a part of a clan, then you will find out more about the various leagues and tournaments that your clan may take part in. Currently there are two main groups who host the big clan tournaments. For Europe, it’s the well-known ESL (Electronic Sports League). and for North America, it’s the recently formed Dark Age Gaming. It’s pretty interesting to see the differences in how EU and NA teams play and how the tournaments are run. So you definitely should check them out.

If you missed some of the live streams of past tournaments, here are some recordings of recent matches played:

Dark Age Gaming Primitus Tournament (Last Team Standing 5v5)

Vq1 vs Vq2 Finals LTS
    [twitchtv:2xpyb5w5]http://www.twitch.tv/lgheightofabsurdity/b/356834972[/twitchtv:2xpyb5w5]

Kila vs Immortal Legion
    [youtubehd:2xpyb5w5]3kmhbZ4Uj8g[/youtubehd:2xpyb5w5]

ESL Finals
    Royal Knights 1 vs Royal Knights 2

[twitchtv:2xpyb5w5]http://www.twitch.tv/lgheightofabsurdity/b/356405484[/twitchtv:2xpyb5w5]

International

It’s not too often that EU and NA clans can compete against one another due to high pings and what not, but here was a greatly anticipated match-up between Royal Knights (RK) and Interitus (Int). They started off with some Last Team Standing and finished it off with Team Objective.

Part 1:
    [twitchtv:2xpyb5w5]http://www.twitch.tv/phalanxpvp/b/361036693[/twitchtv:2xpyb5w5]
    Part 2:
    [twitchtv:2xpyb5w5]http://www.twitch.tv/phalanxpvp/b/361051782[/twitchtv:2xpyb5w5]

In Closing:

Again, we want to thank everyone for your support in helping us continue to shape Chivalry and for being a part of our core community. We look forward to playing with you and working with you to make the community even better, and hope that this newsletter is proof that we are making active steps to improve our communication with you!

Please be sure to post your comments on the newsletter format and content in this thread and remember to post your suggestions for our future newsletters HERE.

What you can expect to see in future newsletters: Meet the devs, fan art/videos/screenshots, contests and much more!

Torn Banner Studios will be headed to Pax East this year: http://east.paxsite.com. So if you’re out in the Boston area, come on by and say hi to them! This will be a big deal for them as it’s their first time out since Chivalry has been released! The dates for Pax East are March 22-24, 2013. Everyone is welcome, so stop on by!

Til’ we meet again,
    Kimiko

And

Torn Banner Studios - Passion and Innovation in Video Game Design

• Very great to see, I eagerly await for the next iterations :). Btw, are there are 1080p versions of those pictures?

• @venomblade:

Very great to see, I eagerly await for the next iterations :). Btw, are there are 1080p versions of those pictures?

Unfortunately the links with the larger images is what Rich gave me, so that’s all I’ve got :/

• I enjoyed the newsletter until you clearly snubbed KVII in the competitive section. I don’t appreciate the bias.

• Not a single mention of both tournaments that went on after the first LTS VQ vs VQ tournament.

• I have a vagina, give me moderator.

• I didn’t snub Kvii. I could only put so many in this. Pretty soon, all the clans will say I’m being biased if I don’t add in their links.

This is only the first newsletter. I will have a competitive section each time and will add in different clans. Maybe even a clan spotlight or something so people can really get to know more about each clan.

So please don’t think that way Genocide, that’s not my intention. Captain knows I nub him. And anyways if you look at Phalanx’s streams, Kvii is posted all over it in big letters, so I think that pretty much stands out on its own xD

And the point of this newsletter is to give a full on breakdown on all tournaments and what not. That’s why there are links to the specific websites ESL and Dark Age Gaming where ALL the info on the tournaments and matches are listed.

And thanks to ReMixx for adding in the [twitchtv] tags so I can embed these videos!

• @Kimiko:

And thanks to ReMixx for adding in the [twitchtv] tags so I can embed these videos!

I got your back Kimaaay.

• There are so many things being discussed all over the community lately, so it’s great to have a comprehensive update from the developers in one convenient location.
    Though I hope this won’t mean the little things start getting ignored.

• Clans aren’t gonna be mad that their clans weren’t shown in the newsletter but that there’s two in-clan scrims of Vq vs Vq and Rk vs RK which is a horrible representation of the competitive scene. I can see why some people might see that as just shameless advertising…

• @Peglegkickboxer:

Clans aren’t gonna be mad that their clans weren’t shown in the newsletter but that there’s two in-clan scrims of Vq vs Vq and Rk vs RK which is a horrible representation of the competitive scene. I can see why some people might see that as just shameless advertising…

Definitely see your point there. I didn’t really think about that until after. I was basically just representing the first Dark Age Gaming Tournament, which was LTS, and the main ESL Tournament, both of which unfortunately had the same clan in the finals. Which is why I also added another non-final LTS match as well. At first I didn’t even have the Vq match up, just the Kila one, but I added it since it was the finals. And then the last match I added was the non-tournament scrim between RK and Int, as it was nice to have a global matchup between the two and was pretty exciting to watch.

The competitive scene section isn’t a one time thing. Each newsletter, different clans, tournaments and modes will be represented. Sometimes the same clans will be shown if it’s a finals match, however, I will be sure to mix it up a bit, as I’d like lesser known clans to be represented as well.

My bad on the double Vq/RK thing though. But if it’s a finals match and it ends up with a double clan finals, then so be it. All I have to say is make sure that doesn’t happen, so it’s a lot more exciting in the end!

• Mod tools being worked on… I should think so too. 8-) Good informative newsletter, I likey!

• Now we can have patches that we don’t know when will be released and news letters we don’t know when will be released lol.

Good job on the mod tools direction though.

• Yes I can’t wait for those mod tools! :D I’m hoping that the best community-made maps will get picked by TB and released officially.

• @Kimiko:

I didn’t snub Kvii. I could only put so many in this. Pretty soon, all the clans will say I’m being biased if I don’t add in their links.

So you really believe a clan that won the last two DAG tournaments doesn’t need to be mentioned when you wrote about the competitive scene? :o

• I have a feeling we won’t get proper content-patches anymore. Mod tools are a nice idea, but I don’t it will prevail, I doubt they will be ranked if lets say a “Star Wars mod” comes out.

I’d much rather have more TO maps and balancing done. And of course the current bugs in combat ironed out.
    And then an option to display some sort of prestige, like decent unique helmets. Weapon customization, different materials, different pommels, different hilts, etc.

I really think it’s time for a hotfix asap to get rid of the most frustrating bugs like the ghost-hits, shield glitches and many other things, but I don’t see anything coming within a week or two. Same goes for balancing issues, some weapons have been buffed way too much. Not to mention map balancing, especially on Citadel. Or the freaking annoying bird…

Best Regards,
    -Shara

• Thanks for the update.

Int vs RK was a great match :-)

• @Kimiko:

Another thing we can look forward to will be a “Community Issues” patch which is up next. It will feature primarily optimization, bug fixes and high priority community requests. This one is all about making the current game, play and run better.

Hopefully this will include things like shields/weapons that dont block (correctly)* and hitboxes of players/weapons that doesn’t seem to be, where the texture is. These two things made me yell a lot of times.*²

*for example: Enemy player is in front of me and is able to hit me even if my shield is up and I got enough stamina. Sometimes several times one after another.
    *²for example: Should explain itself. Hitting a player but my weapons goes through his texture without dealing damage. Sometimes the enemy does to experience the same issue with makes an really odd situation with horrible hitting feedback.
    Another example would be that I stab into a standing enemy and I kill him and my friendly, if the is standing on about 10 or 2 o’clock. (mostly with Halberd)

And please… go over the maps again and take a look at spots where you can get stuck (e.g. Hillside Mason side - above the ammo box) and/or can’t pass correctly (with our without the camera shaking weird) (e.g. Hillside Agatha side - stone on the right side when going out of spawn, right on top of the left ramp)

I hope you know what I mean, since I’m no native speaker. Keep up the good work but pls, consider the above, improve the performance and first fix bugs before doing more content.

• @Shara:

I really think it’s time for a hotfix asap to get rid of the most frustrating bugs like the ghost-hits, shield glitches and many other things, but I don’t see anything coming within a week or two. Same goes for balancing issues, some weapons have been buffed way too much. Not to mention map balancing, especially on Citadel. Or the freaking annoying bird…

Lol. A hotfix/patch/whateveryouwanttocallit is on the way actually. Will be here soon.

• on the next issue you can talk talk about what programs people can use to record matches to post them to youtube