Explain your ideal DUEL class build and settings

• I used to be a knight guy. Loved the great mace.

But now I am usually vanguard. I shall explain why:

PRIMARY: Spear
    PERSPECTIVE: First Person
    FOV: 100

Let me tell you why using a Spear with first person view is so good - Not only do you have the greatest reach of any melee weapon in the game, but you can also exploit this distance with precision. Using both thrust and overhead (which is just a delayed stab with the spear) it is possible to win 75% of duels by simply keeping your opponent at a distance.

There’s something to be said about just constantly stabbing away at your foe’s shield or testing their parrying abilities until they let their guard down for a moment, and BAM just sticking them right in the face with a swift thrust. The spear is both the most and least versatile weapon in the game, making it above all else reliable to perform its duties in any given situation, assuming its wielder can remember to keep his distance.

So this thread is not asking what range of weapons you use, rather the SPECIFIC WEAPON your favor and the settings you base your play style around, in DUEL MODE.

• My perfect setup is the man at arms with a norse sword, cudgel and a heater shield. I mostly play an aggressive style, relying on getting inside my opponent’s guard and overwhelming with combos. If the opponent happens to be decent, I might instead rely on dodges and quick counters. The norse sword I find perfect for that, with its fast strikes and decent reach. Granted, the damage is lacking, but that rarely proves to be a problem. If the enemy has no shield, I will usually drop the shield myself, unless I find him to be a GOOD feinter, in which case I will keep it. If the enemy has a shield himself, I often leave the shield for myself as well, unless he proves to be a good basher. It’s a setup that works fine for me, although I also pick knight or a vanguard at times, I find both those classes lacking if facing a truly good MAA. I’m sure plenty will disagree with me, but I have yet to find an effective tactic of downing pro MAAs with either of them, unless they make the mistake of trading hits. Still, I find MAA to be the best answer for another good MAA. Makes for extremely fast and adrenaline fueled duels too, which I enjoy.
    As for settings, I’m a first person player always, I never pick third person, regardless of the advantages it provides, because for me immersion>advantage. Fov I keep at 105, I found it to be the easiest on the eyes.

• Primary: Dane axe
    Secondary: thrusting dagger/ knife
    FOV: 120

I just play really well with it, but i’ve only played 15 duels (15-0) , don’t really like duel mode. I like the team based modes better. I like the good overhead on it as i use it constantly combined with a stab. It’s easy to get around shields (unless they are pro shield users) and it’s quite fast. I also love the reach.

• Knight
    FOV: 105
    Longsword
    Flanged Mace
    Kite Shield

I have over 100 hours played with the longsword and it kills everyone for me!! The flanged mace I pull out mostly for the fun of crushing skulls to pieces :-). One nice thing is that the longsword can one-shot archers and MAA (I think) with an OH headshot.

• Heavy crossbow and a saber.

If I get the oneshot, cool; if I don’t, I rush in and play like an maa.

• Couple good setups -
    Vanguard: Zweihander, Dane Axe or Hatchet, Smoke Pots
    Knight: Bearded Axe, Norse Sword or Holy Water, Tower Shield
    MAA: Broadsword, Hatchet, Heater
    Archer: Short Javs, Cudgel

• As a Vanguard, the bilhook is my new favorite primary for dueling (spear is effective, but kind of boring). The speed of the bilhook is one of the fastest for two handers, roughly the same as the claymore, but it has a noticable reach advantage over the claymore in exchange for slightly lower damage. The speed allows it to feint non-shield opponents reliably, as well as purposefully missing the first attack of a combo to hit your opponent with the second attack. Effective against all two-handing opponents.

Despite it’s relative speed advantage to other two-handers, the bilhook is not a good weapon to use against skilled maa (and to some degree, shield knights, though cautious bilhook-users can still play the range game despite losing the ability to feint). Maa will quickly negate your reach advantage by blocking or evading your attack and then closing the distance where you will suffer a merciless pummeling from a very fast one-hander, flinching you if you try to attack back. To neutralize the attack speed advantage, switch to your one-hander. The dane axe is a well-rounded killer that can often chop an maa down in two hits compared to the three hits it typically takes an maa to kill a vanguard (thank you, chain mail). Attacking an maa will often provoke the maa to try and counter attack you (typically with a dodge thrown in), so feint your first attack and then either prepare to parry his counter, or throw a second attack to catch him when he closes the distance (you might trade hits, but with higher armor it’s typically a good trade unless you’re low on hp).

Being able to switch between both weapons as the situation dictates is imperative. If you want to play a mind-game with your opponent, or score a final blow on a wounded foe, you can switch weapons secretly when you break line of sight and then surprise them with a faster or longer weapon.

Smoke Pots - if you see your opponent is an archer, dive for cover and USE EM! You have no reason not to, and the practice gained at throwing smoke pots will serve you well in other game modes.

My record: 215 Wins - 37 Losses
    120 FOV

• Grand mace
    Broadsword
    FOV 100

Broadsword is my go to weapon against MAA and Vanguards being quick with high power, but if I am up against an Archer or Knight, I whip out Grace and let the games begin.

Duel W/L - 601-85

• @funthomass:

Knight
    FOV: 105
    Longsword
    Flanged Mace
    Kite Shield

I have over 100 hours played with the longsword and it kills everyone for me!! The flanged mace I pull out mostly for the fun of crushing skulls to pieces :-). One nice thing is that the longsword can one-shot archers and MAA (I think) with an OH headshot.

This, but I sword and board. The reach of the longsword plus being much more feint-resistant works well for me. I reserve the mace for other competent shielders because I find it easier to fake them into turning to a false attack.

• Knight with light flail and norse sword
    FOV 110
    1st person

I love the “unusual” style of the flail. Almost nobody sees my shield punch followed by an alternate overhead. The trick for me is to go 1 hit at a time. Combos arent that good , but 2 overheads/swipes followed or preceded by a shield punch really works for me. When i see that they’re all bloodied or when I go against a very fast maa i pull out my norse sword for that extra speed.

However, to be completely honest i get trashed by SoW/longsword wielding Clan guys (Bada - TobiWan comes to mind)… i really havent found a very efficient way to deal with them since their sword stabs almost always bypass my buckler…

• MAA / Broadsword
    Heater Shield vs spears/archers

“All men are made of water, do you know this? If you pierce them, the water leaks out and they die.” -Syrio Forel

• @Solar:

Heavy solar panel and a saber.

If I get the oneshot, cool; if I don’t, I rush in and play like an maa.

Even I would love to play in similar manner… Very exciting stuff indeed.:):)